Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvet covers

(90 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 19-May-19 21:00:04

I know how to change the beastly thing but I hate doing it. I’m wondering whether to go back to sheets and blankets or, if I have a flat sheet under the duvet, how long can I leave the duvet cover unwashed?
My ideal would be a light quilt on top of me, without a removable cover, which I could wash every week.

SparklyGrandma Fri 07-Jun-19 00:01:53

Good to hear that the cover less duvet does the trick Teacheranne.

Teacheranne Thu 06-Jun-19 23:42:37

Update on the M&S cover less duvet! I am really happy with it and am coping well with the sheet inbetween me and the duvet. I bought soft touch sheets as they felt so nice and then ended up putting the top sheet wrong side up by accident. So the slightly soft, fluffy side is next to the slightly slippy duvet and seems to grip it well. I ha not noticed any ill effects from having the less fluffy side next to my body!

I look forward to less washing of duvet covers from now on!

JackyB Thu 06-Jun-19 16:06:18

Is washing goosefeather duvets every three weeks good for the feathers? Sounds a lot to me.

overthehill Wed 05-Jun-19 10:59:47

After reading this, should I buy a sheet to go over us like has been suggested.

I have wasted so much money in recent years on our bedding. A few years back DH and I went over to single beds, not as romantic I know, but I have a trouble sleeping.

Firstly we bought cheap duvets and covers as the beds were arriving. After a while decided to buy double duvets for our single beds as the singles kept coming off....good decision. Then bought 2 sets of covers and one set felt horrible and slippery and kept catching feet in them, so ditched them and bought another set. Latest as mentioned bought 2 goosefeather duvets but although keeping them they are heavy and crinckly.

Now the thing about the sheet. I don't wash our duvets every weeks like some people, probably about every 3 weeks. With the duvet bed making is easy but once a sheet comes into the equation that means more work each day. Also when it comes to washing said sheet, you would still have to wash the bottom sheet, pillow slips and I have mattress protectors, so weighing it all up, I don't think for me anyway, there is any advantage.

SalsaQueen Thu 30-May-19 21:50:10

JackyB..... I do that with my duvet covers too. My duvet is 4.5 tog, and I use it even in winter (I put a fleece blanket on top when I get cold).

overthehill Thu 30-May-19 19:28:21

A friend of mine told me she bought a down duvet which was lovely and warm but very light. Decided to do the same but couldn't understand why mine are actually heavy and crinkly. I bought goose feathers and down, so don't make the mistake I did.

Evie64 Thu 30-May-19 16:01:12

I also use a top sheet between us and the duvet. Much better because on a warm night, you can kick the duvet off but still have the sheet to cover yourself.

Teacheranne Wed 29-May-19 10:37:08

I have taken the plunge and bought one of the M&S duvets that don't need a cover. It arrived yesterday so I went out and bought matching bedding including a flat sheet to use on top of me. I used it for the first time last night and had a really good sleep!

It's got a really pretty modern pattern and is very soft and cozy. As I live on my own and shower daily, I don't plan to wash the duvet very often! It shouldn't get too grubby as I never sit on the bed having a bedside chair to use when getting dressed etc. In fact, now that I won't have to battle with the duvet cover, I'll probably change the sheets more frequently!

Cover your ears, I'm going to shout "HURRAH, NO MORE FIGHTS WITH THE DUVET COVER!"

Marmight Wed 29-May-19 09:07:29

I don't want to give up my lovely King size bed, so I do an 'Alice in Wonderland' and sleep on one side of my bed for a week, then the other side for the next week, otherwise I'd be forever changing the bedding! I draw the line at turning the duvet over for the next 2 shock

lilypollen Mon 27-May-19 22:43:18

Gonegirl my 'next to me side' of duvet wouldn't be grubby in seven days as we shower and wash twice a day!

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 22:04:39

I remember that when I was a kid. Used to work fine. ?

Sara65 Mon 27-May-19 22:02:52

That reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would top to bottom the sheets.

They also had a seam all down the middle where they had been ‘turned’

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 18:44:37

FarNorth grin I didn't realise anyone would be that interested!

Umm... Assuming the duvet cover has become grubby from where it's been next to you in bed, turning it over would just put the slightly dirty side on top, showing it off in your bedroom. That's all.

GrannyIris5 Mon 27-May-19 16:37:02

I’ve got a couple of duvet klippits that I got from Dunelm, you just get the top corners of the duvet in and fasten these on and give the rest a wiggle and a pull. I don’t take them off until I’m happy the duvet is nicely in and there’s more bedding my side lol

FarNorth Mon 27-May-19 16:07:49

So what's the problem with turning it over, Gonegirl?

lilypollen Mon 27-May-19 15:30:27

Me too.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 11:58:50

So do I. confused Who wouldn't do that?

FarNorth Mon 27-May-19 11:29:29

confused I always 'expose the slept in part to my room' every day, to air the bedding rather than keep all the sweaty bits damply lurking there waiting for me.

I also open the door and the window.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 10:36:21

I like the idea of the no-cover duvets there, where you just wash the whole thing. Might get some of those for visiting youngsters.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 10:32:20

I'm not at all sure about this idea of turning the duvet over halfway through. Aren't you just exposing the slept in part to your room, whilst putting the slightly dusty side in the bed next to you?

Slightly yuk comes to mind.

Ailsa43 Mon 27-May-19 10:29:56

The Fine bedding company are selling cover free Duvets too, and cheaper than M&..S I'd like to see more colours and patterns, before I buy one to match my rooms, but these ones all have good reviews

www.finebedding.co.uk/products/night-owl

shysal Mon 27-May-19 10:01:13

Those of you who are saying how easy it is to change a duvet cover just wait until arthritis or injury limits the use of your shoulders, making extension of the arms impossible! You might not find it so easy then!grin

SparklyGrandma Mon 27-May-19 00:54:04

I use a single duvet on my double bed. So much easier to put a single quilt cover on. And cheaper to buy.

If it’s really cold, I have a second single duvet, cover on it, for very cold weather.

Also, with back pain, a single duvet is easier to move about when you are asleep.

The only double thing I buy is the double fitted sheet.

DanniRae Fri 24-May-19 07:30:27

I have tried a few times to do the roll-up method to put my king size duvet cover on - the rolling up bit is fine but it's the fiddly bit after the rolling up that I find difficult, if you see what I mean?
Any advice to make this bit easier will be gratefully received!

FarNorth Fri 24-May-19 01:37:27

That roll-up method of putting the cover on looks great. I'll be trying it out for the guest bed.
(I have a single bed for myself and love it.)