Gransnet forums

House and home

Painting kitchen cuboards

(12 Posts)
Katyj Sat 01-Jun-19 08:26:13

Has anyone done this.I've been looking online, and there seem to be some professional company's that either take the doors away , or spray them in situ.It seems quite expensive.I was wondering wether you think a painter and decorator would be able to do this cheaper, and would it be as good.

Purpledaffodil Sat 01-Jun-19 08:30:59

Friend had hers spray painted like that and they looked amazing. But it cost around £2K five years ago. DH brush painted ours using Farrow and Ball paint and they looked fine. Sure a professional decorator would make an even better job. Either way it’s cheaper and better for the planet than a new kitchen!

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jun-19 08:54:33

I know someone who has just set up in business doing this and am thinking about it for my utility room.
As he’s just started on his own he may give me a good price?. I’ve only got a few units so hope it won’t be anything like 2K!

phoenix Sat 01-Jun-19 08:58:39

After being quoted £5,311.00 shock for replacement door fronts, we got out wonderful local handyman to paint ours.

Used Ronseal cupboard paint, 2 coats and it looks really good!

annsixty Sat 01-Jun-19 09:01:49

My friend moved to a bungalow 2 years ago and didn't like the grey kitchen.
She painted them off white herself and they look great.
I seem to remember she took advice from the staff at B&Q as to the type of paint most suitable.
The hardest part was removing all the handles and then replacing them but she is brilliant at DiY.

Franbern Sat 01-Jun-19 09:04:09

I have a long galley kitchen, lots of door and drawers, etc. These are a good solid wood, but were dark (oak). About five years ago I looked into having them replaced. Would have cost a fortune, and quality of new doors/drawer fronts nowhere near as good as existing. So, had them taken away and sprayed white.
It cost about £1500 - but so very worth it. Not having any door fronts for a week made me really get down to cleaning and tidying those cupboards. Once they had been re-installed i could not believe the difference it made.
One of the flats i am looking at moving into also has similar oak coloured wooden cupboard doors in kitchen and would definitely have those done by spraying.

leyla Sat 01-Jun-19 09:04:17

Very interested as have been considering this for a while. How do they deal with the bits that are plastic? (Under our cupboards there is a very tatty wood effect plastic strip).

phoenix Sat 01-Jun-19 09:12:40

leyla we ordered replacement pelmets & cornices online, from a company called something like "Doors 2 Size".

You can get them in various finishes, or just plain MDF ready for painting.

We also got rid of the silly end shelf things, had a couple of new carcasses made, ordered MDF doors in the same style as our existing ones.

Really pleased with my "new" kitchen!

Framilode Sat 01-Jun-19 09:30:04

My daughter had a very upmarket kitchen fitted and they sent along a chap to brush paint the units. He did this all the time and he said it was a better finish. He also recommended Little Green Eggshell paint rather than F&B as it is oil based and much harder wearing. Her kitchen is 8 years old now and none of the units have chipped.

My husband did ours 18 months ago with little Greene and I am very pleased with the result. It was quite hard work so if you can get a decorator to do it so much the better.

leyla Sat 01-Jun-19 09:35:56

Thanks pheonix that’s helpful.

phoenix Sat 01-Jun-19 10:14:23

You're welcome leyla

I've just checked my "project managing" notebook (kept notes on everything we spent on the kitchen update! blush ) and it was definitely Doors 2 Size. They were very good to deal with, helpful and friendly.

Katyj Sat 01-Jun-19 12:16:13

Thank you everyone, very helpful comments.Which part of the country do you live in Pamela, you could pm if you like, I might live near enough to have the same person.