Gransnet forums

House and home

Better quality white paint?

(54 Posts)
Lisagran Fri 07-Jun-19 13:01:57

We painted our sitting room with white emulsion a few years ago and now it needs re-doing. Is it worth spending more on high end paints like Farrow and Ball? Big difference in the cost! Or are Dulux / Crown etc just as good?

fizzers Fri 07-Jun-19 14:07:51

I found Dulux to have gone downhill in recent years, tbh I found the B&Q Valspar range to be pretty good, it was certainly better than the Dulux

Gonegirl Fri 07-Jun-19 14:11:07

We DH used Little Greene Paint Company in our living room. It's fantastic. Nicer colours than dreary Farrow and Ball. Has a really nice finish to it too.

Gonegirl Fri 07-Jun-19 14:12:05

We have always used Dulux, and that has been ok. But Little Greene paint is something else.

J52 Fri 07-Jun-19 14:32:23

I have recently started using Wilco’s paint, it seems to be very good.

Lisagran Fri 07-Jun-19 14:39:05

Thanks for your replies. I have painted furniture in the past and used Little Greene then - colours. It’s just specifically white emulsion I want to use as it’s a dark room - going to B and Q later - I’ll look at Valspar

Missfoodlove Fri 07-Jun-19 16:25:45

Gonegirl is spot on Little green paint is superb, unlike Farrow and Ball it is not chalk based so does not mark.
It is highly pigmented so covers well and goes further, well worth the money.
It’s also virtually odourless!
We have just had our living room painted in rolling fog and white it looks fab

leyla Fri 07-Jun-19 16:32:29

Missfood your room looks lovely!

Missfoodlove Fri 07-Jun-19 18:05:22

Leyla, ? I cant take credit for it, the ceilings are far too high! Lovely local decorator.

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 18:16:54

Gorgeous room, Missfood!

Lisagran just because a room is dark, doesn't always mean that painting it white is the answer.

Sioux have a range called (I think) Light & Space, which apparently are formulated to "bounce/amplify" any available light.

Think about how you use your sitting room, we don't generally go into ours until around 7pm, using the kitchen dining room during the day.

If you use yours in daytime then yes, you may feel that it needs to be as light as possible, but if not, then you could think about making it a bit more of a cosy, warm place.

Stark white can be harsh, what colours are using for floor covering, sofas, curtains etc?

SynchroSwimmer Fri 07-Jun-19 18:18:21

I wanted my whole house doing in brilliant white to lighten the rooms and found Dulux I think, but specifically a Light Reflecting Paint.
I am very pleased with the result.
Have to be a bit careful if scrubbing marks off.

phoenix Fri 07-Jun-19 18:27:58

We have used a Dulux paint that used to be called "Endurance" but is now "Easy Care". Really scrubbable!

Loislovesstewie Fri 07-Jun-19 18:49:09

I use Crown breatheasy paint. Seems to do the job well , lots of choice re colours .. I do change the decorations frequently and I think more expensive ones would be wasted on us!

Auntieflo Fri 07-Jun-19 19:01:39

Another vote for Wilko paint here, although it is my friend who uses it, not us! But, she is very particular and if it pleases her, it must be OK.

nightswimmer Fri 07-Jun-19 19:59:35

Looks really good!

genie10 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:28:13

I usually use Crown coloured emulsion and always have been happy with that but just recently painted my ceiling with Valspar white emulsion and found it far superior.

Moll22 Fri 07-Jun-19 21:38:23

I only use valspar now, for white and courted paints- the premium range is well worth it as you really can rub off without leaving marks. I previously used dulux for woodwork and within three months sections that didn’t get much sun had yellowed.

midgey Fri 07-Jun-19 21:46:28

Be very careful with Valspar paint, it can react with some surfaces and produce a really offensive smell. There was a thread about it in the past. My daughter used it and found that the room was unusable, she complained to the company and they sent her a large cheque with no further questions! Try googling Valspar.

Sara65 Fri 07-Jun-19 22:21:59

Little Greene every time!

Sara65 Fri 07-Jun-19 22:23:27

But my decorator keeps trying to get me to use Valspar, he reckons it’s wonderful!

fizzers Fri 07-Jun-19 22:38:06

I really did like the Valspar paint - found it far superior

Buffybee Fri 07-Jun-19 22:53:05

Our decorator always insists on Trade Quality Paint so we go to a Dulux Paint Centre.
The Heritage Range is lovely.
Some lovely muted colours of you decide to not have plain white.

GrammaH Sat 08-Jun-19 09:41:48

We've used Farrow & Ball for years and wouldn't use anything else. Always been totally satisfied and their colours suit our old farmhouse very well. I'd take issue with their colours being "dreary", Gonegirl - one of our bedrooms is currently a lovely shade of pretty pink, our landing is a rich creamy yellow & there's a vibrant sky blue in the bathroom! We have darker shades elsewhere, more in keeping with the beamed rooms. We did try Crown Heritage once but it was a big mistake & we vowed never again.

Amagran Sat 08-Jun-19 10:09:56

Lisagran, there are 3 different qualities (and prices!) of Valspar paint. I have used the most expensive - brilliant, excellent quality, and the cheapest - absolute rubbish. I had to re-do the walls with the same colour in the quality paint.

kazziecookie Sat 08-Jun-19 10:12:12

I find that whatever make I use that brilliant white gloss paint never stays brilliant white for very long. I hate it when it goes discoloured and we do not smoke so that isn’t the reason. I wonder if they have had to remove certain additives due to health and safety.