Gransnet forums

House and home

Fresh start with new EA

(84 Posts)
mosaicwarts Tue 11-Jun-19 12:03:29

Hello everyone, thank you for all your support with my house sale.

I saw the new EA this morning, am going to have it marketed for 'offers over £400K', and have a summary of my survey available in my house for any very interested viewers. Two men do the viewings, they are coming to do a 'tour' with me to familarise themselves with its quirks before I go onto the market.

Feeling very optimistic, it was a lovely, positive meeting.

Cheers!

mosaicwarts Thu 20-Jun-19 18:28:00

Thanks for sharing that Franbern, I am going to be far more business like about it this time! This EA is also advertising me in a local newspaper so hopefully 'the one' will buy it!

Grammaretto Thu 20-Jun-19 20:09:33

At least one of the viewings on rightmove was me! It's an amazing house which I would definitely consider if I was upsizing.
What a pest about the careless railway workers.
I'm sure the house will sell soon. smile

mosaicwarts Thu 20-Jun-19 21:17:11

Thanks Grammaretto, I do wish I had the money for the renovations, I have become a bit depressed looking at the room sizes of new builds. I never will, sadly, so I'm definitely going new build as I want a bomb proof roof that can withstand a hooley as my Irish friend would say!

Franbern, just a tip about your new country style living - racing pigeons. Traditional hobby up here and it saddens me to see so many squashed on the road. I've just picked one up at the golf club tonight, he's in my cat basket, in the car. I was very upset just after my husband died - a racing pigeon was wandering around the cars in the village. I caught him in a box and asked the two people I knew that had had pigeons in the past what to do with him and they didn't want to know. I tried to think of a safe place without cars and decided on the cemetery, and left him with seed and water. Sadly the next day all that was left of him was his legs and a lot of feathers, Mr Fox.

So if you find a racing pigeon the kindest thing to do is catch it, keep it safe in a box or cat basket, fed and watered until it is rested enough to fly off. There is a stray pigeon society to type in the ring numbers and report it - although I have heard many stories of the owner just strangling them, sadly. They are just too tame to wander about outside and I will always regret leaving that one to his horrible fate.

Day6 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:23:29

What an unusual house mosaic.

I love it and it looks like it's in 'move-in' condition too. Not much 'renovation' required, unless it's structural?

Someone will buy a gem of a house, imo. Good luck with the viewings. I hope it sells soon.

craftyone Fri 21-Jun-19 07:26:24

yes the roof mosaics, one of the things I am most thankful for. My other roof was in good condition but the house was timber frame with a flat roof with pv panels on it laying on weighed down frames, no loft. I was always worried in a storm, could hear the rain bouncing hard and on a hot day with cool night, the timber cracked as it contracted back after expanding. That house was safe but the night time noise including the wind noise, I think that led to me having poor sleep. A couple of times I slept on the sofa because of the scary loud wind.

Now I have a normal roof, a very insulated silent house, a loft only ever containing a tv aeriel. Yes the rooms are much smaller, yes storage is poor but storage can be added. All I have to do now is wait patiently for my wardrobes to be fitted next week. Certainly my sleep has improved, it has taken 6 weeks to get into a good sleep pattern, maybe it is the worry and stress leaving that has helped

Stay strong and be ruthless mosaics, I learnt the hard way, it has not been worth being generous and kind when selling

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 08:19:56

Just back from the pigeon loft, 'Steve' has taken him in. So glad I caught him, he's been attacked by a hawk and all his tail feathers have gone. Apparently they take three weeks to grow back. A lorry of racers is going to Hartlepool today, so he's going to be 'driven' home!

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 08:33:47

Morning craftyone I missed that you'd written as I was so pleased with my mercy mission! I sleep on the downstairs sofa in storms sad , sometimes with ear plugs too. I've been in every bedroom except my daughter's since Steve died as the ceilings are lath and plaster and I can hear them cracking in the night - luckily the structural survey said it's normal. I am so glad your sleep has improved, for the last few nights I've been having a terrible time switching off. Do you spray your pillow with lavender? I must try it. Don't think the cat will like it though, she sleeps at my head!

I'll take your advice on being strong and ruthless. I have agreed to leave the bronze lions as part of the house sale, it took four men to lift them and it would be so difficult to remove them from their elevated position. They'd also look silly anywhere else, they do 'fit' the house. My daughter doesn't agree with my decision as the new owners could sell them ... they can put the money towards the renovation!

I feel far more relaxed today, still have garden branches to tidy up but broke the back of it yesterday. Looking forward to watching my Stan and Ollie DVD tonight with a bag of popcorn. Can't eat chocolate in front of my dog, can only eat it in the car on my own, it's torture for him!

Franbern Fri 21-Jun-19 09:30:33

The flat I am hoping to move to is 3rd floor, facing the sea. Not exactly 'country living' as it is virtually in the town centre of Weston super Mare.
Must say, I do not like pigeons. At my present house they have perfected the technique of flapping against the bird feeder containing the sunflower seeds, causing them to fall down on the ground beneath for them to eat. I do point this out to my elderly cat - who looks at them at then goes back to having a sleep on her cushion!!
At the coast I am far more concerned about seagulls, which can be so large, that they actually frighten me. Must see, there are far fewer of them in WsM than in Brighton, where another of my children lives.
Obviously, I am downsizing. Going from a 3-bed house, which also has a loft extension to a 2-bed flat. Suppose, if I could, I would totally refurnish, but part of my viewings of flats was with a tape measure to ensure that I had places to put my modular (very expensive) living room units.
Also needed to ensure that 2nd bedroom was big enough to take a double bed (not all of them were), so, that I will be able to put up friends etc.
Did find most flats had small kitchens and have been trying to sort out all the 'stuff' in my kitchen units. Glad to say the flat I hope to purchase has a good size kitchen.
One of the reasons that I went for this flat is that I can just move in and sort things out and then slowly see what changes I need to make.
As at present, in my house, all my bedroom furniture (except my bed) is totally built-in, I really did not fancy living out of suitcases for several weeks waiting for someone to come and put in wardrobes, dressing table etc. This flat also has built in furniture in both bedrooms.
My way of dealing with all the uncertainty is to continue living in my house as if I am not leaving it. So, continue to have any necessary repairs done, ensure everything is kept clean and neat and even book days out for the autumn. (Okay, if by chance I have successfully moved by then I will forfeit any cancellation charges for these). Even had some new plants put in the garden. (Must say I will not miss having a garden when I move - although will miss being able to hang out washing in the summer months).
This way, I am managing to remain reasonably calm and unstressed at this time.
I am 78 years old and do find that things that i would have coped with easily ten or twenty years ago, do get me extremely stressed out now. The daughter who lives close by is loving, but gently laughs at me when I worry about what she calls 'hashtag, first world problems'. But, then she is 49 years old, and i would have coped with these things easily then. Cannot talk to her too much about the move, as - although she is trying to be supportive - I know she is very unhappy about me moving so far away,
The daughter who lives in WsM is very busy, with work, her family of four children and a disabled hubbie. Also, they cannot help with matters relating to where I am now living - although I know they will be delighted when I move that they can assist with many of these 'silly' little problems.
But, largely, I am doing it all by myself.
Good Luck to all of us who are in this horrible process of selling and buying.

Franbern Fri 21-Jun-19 10:06:04

Modaicwarts, with regards to your lovely bronze lions, what I would do is to start finding out how much you could sell them for independently. Then, having got that figure, round it down slightly and tell any would-be purchasers that they are 'extras' not included in the price, but they could purchase them for the reduced price. (let them know the full valuation for them). If they do this, then great - if not then sell them AFTER you have a firm offer going through for the purchase.
Your daughter, is very young, and just does not like to see thing she remembers from growing up not still being with you. But these would probably not be suitable for any more modern type property, and this is the time to get rid of many things from the past.

craftyone Fri 21-Jun-19 13:16:04

leave the bronze lions mosaics, surely they give character to the house. I left several huge and expensive stone planters containing lilac and crabapple trees, worth quite a few £00. The reason I left them was because I really did not want the extra hassle of selling them or even giving them away. They quietly went on the list of things I was leaving, including all blinds and curtains, some outdoor furniture, a very heavy base and an almost new large sun umbrella. I always found that karma came my way after giving things away and I think I have had very good karma since then. The extras I did not know about in my new house, the fact that I just had a price for the very large extra patio and it is less than half what I was expecting. There are only 3 properties at my end and we all get on amazingly well,more karma. Give to the universe and the universe gives back in multiples

I sold nothing, all the stuff I downsized, I gave away and mostly to a hospice shop. It was a relief to me and again last week I had a cheque for several £000 from the tax office

craftyone Fri 21-Jun-19 13:18:14

franbern, I admire your forward thing, about your flat and about family

craftyone Fri 21-Jun-19 17:22:21

re the unexpected 000s amount from hmrc. I had claimed the excess stamp duty back and made an incorrect calculation, they corrected it and I had a surprise extra £3000, out of the blue

Lazigirl Fri 21-Jun-19 17:46:39

I feel so sorry for those of you suffering the stress of selling and moving, especially doing it alone. We downsized to a new build 10 years ago, and although there are drawbacks I wouldn't want to do it again - especially alone. It sounds like your beautiful house needs a lot of money spending on it, which must be so stressful if you haven't got it, and the garden sounds a full time job mosaicwarts. Unfortunately what suits and makes us happy at one stage in our life, isn't right for the next, so reluctantly we have to move on. You will still retain the wonderful memories of your family growing up in the house and your DH. I do hope it goes well for you and someone comes along who loves it as much as you do.

Lazigirl Fri 21-Jun-19 17:49:09

Nice unexpected windfall craftyone Am sure you can find something to spend it on in your new house smile.

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 18:18:13

Franbern, you are inspirational! As I have my dog I haven't considered a third floor flat, but may move to one when he passes - so much less noise, and much nicer views! I've made a mental note of all your tips - especially the second bedroom not always housing a double bed.

Craftyone, that's a very, very nice surprise! Stupidly I used my barclaycard before probate came through, and taking Martin Lewis's advice, moved it to a 0% interest card which I don't touch. I think I started with about £3K. I've been paying off £60 per month for what seems forever, I think it finally ends in February 2020. It made me realise that I'd borrowed for four years into the future for quite piddly purchases which I can't even remember now, and won't ever do it again.

Off to the beach now, then pizza and popcorn with Stan and Ollie DVD. Have a great weekend smile

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 18:22:27

Lazigirl, thank you for your warm wishes.

I've been looking at new builds today, there is such a variety to choose from isn't there! I will be renting initially whilst I look, I couldn't cope with the sale/purchase at the same time.

Have a lovely weekend, my suncatcher mobile is spinning rainbows around my kitchen smile

craftyone Fri 21-Jun-19 19:14:26

mosaics, there are some builders to avoid, persimmon for one.

This article is a bit negative but there are good builders out there, mine is. Even though it is negative, it pays to be fully armed with information. I love my new build and ran a mile when looking at some other new builds full of bling so you can`t think and beware of the high pressure sales talk. Loads of important info here

www.brand-newhomes.co.uk/why-buyers-avoid-new-homes.htm

Lazigirl Fri 21-Jun-19 20:59:18

That's an interesting article craftyone and illustrates the fact that many large building companies are intent on making as much profit as possible, by cramming as many small cheaply built dwellings as they can manage on to sites. The new house we bought was built by a small builder and structural is ok but some of the plumbing and electrics leave a bit to be desired, as after 10 years some plastic fittings are starting to fail. However I think it is a fact that fittings are manufactured out of cheaper components nowadays. On the whole we are happy with our house because it is well insulated, warm, economical to run, and no major structural repairs or worries to deal with and are glad we moved as it will be easy to manage as we get older and more decrepit smile

Patsy70 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:14:34

What a beautiful house! If it was in my area, Pratts Bottom, a village on the borders of Kent/London, it would be in excess of 2 million, easily! Good luck, Mosaic.

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 23:12:23

Just a quick recommendation for the Stan & Ollie film - I've shed a few tears tonight! Beautifully acted.

craftyone Fri 28-Jun-19 11:22:01

News today: if Boris gets in, stampyduty will be slashed. I think it will happen first budget, upside is that the house market will explode into activity, downside is that, until then, buyers will hold back buying. Having said that buyers will be looking and ready to react to a property they might want. Once we get the timeline of what if, Boris taking charge, budget potential date. My guesses, Boris takes charge end july, puts his cabinet in place during august and budget mid to end september. Just in time to stimulate the housing market with a bang

Franbern Fri 28-Jun-19 16:42:23

I would not so optimistic of a housing bonanza when Johnson becomes PM as craftyone appears to be.
The housing market has been in depression ever since the whole Brexit farce started, and has got worse. More likely to worsen again with talk of no-deal Brexit.
So many people so unsure of their work and financial futures. Many people who thought they were settled in this country now seriously looking into going back to their original countries of residence - and many of these needing to sell their properties here.
Stamp Duty is such a small part of what determines a happy housing market and peoples ability and desire to obtain long term mortgages are more important.
For those of us who wish or need to sell/buy we just have to go along with however the market is at that time. So, the house I am selling should have been worth more if it had been a good market - but then so would the flat I am purchasing - swings and roundabouts!!i

mosaicwarts Sat 29-Jun-19 09:59:04

I often wonder what my husband would have thought about Brexit. Thanks for the info about stamp duty craftyone, I'd looked up the costs when Franbern said to work out what I needed to move and have allocated £5K, I hope to buy a £300K property.

I was pleased to receive my 'viewing figures' yesterday. With my previous EA on Zoopla, the viewing figures for the nine months were 6,400. In fourteen days on RightMove, the viewing figures are 3,400. Quite a difference! Lots of people will be looking out of curiosity, I know. One of the Station master's had seven children, it must have been very hard work for his wife keeping all the fires lit. I do miss my old EA's personal touch though - I've just received an email for my first viewing on 5th July. I used to get a phone call with a follow up email. Saying that, I'd better acknowledge I've received the email.

Had bad news yesterday about the roof. The builder came yesterday to clear the gutter ... but sadly it's not that affecting my bedroom ceiling, there are two tiles slipped in a very difficult place to access without extensive scaffolding. No sign of the roofer who was going to give me a quote.

I still haven't tackled my clutter boxes but must today - I've ordered a christmas present and all my hidey holes are full! Must, must do it! If anyone else is thinking of christmas/birthdays I've got my son's girlfriend an alpaca walk - I'll be tucking the voucher into a pair of alpaca socks. Unfortunately missed a half price Wowcher voucher, but I'll keep an eye on them, looks as though they get some great offers on there.

Off to the beach with my ever patient sheltie, should look forward to it but sometimes find it a chore!

Have a good day smile

Franbern Sat 29-Jun-19 10:06:07

mosaicwarts - What does the 5k cover? Just the actual removal costs? Have you also worked out Solicitors fees (both for selling and purchasing), also the EA's fees? 5k is not nearly enough to cover all of these. Solicitors will give you the figure when you arrange with them to act for you. The EA fees you can work out for yourself as you will have been told the percentage they will take of the sale.
I would have thought that a figure of 12-15k would be more realistic to set aside from your sale, and then what is left then is what you can use for purchase. Also remember, that any new property you move into, you are almost definitely going to want to carry out some changes, maybe some new furniture. Should also allow for these.

GrandmaMoira Sat 29-Jun-19 11:02:35

Rightmove has a moving cost calculator which is useful.