Gransnet forums

House and home

Hoarding

(13 Posts)
Newquay Tue 11-Jun-19 18:09:00

Just starting to help, with others, a lovely lady-widowed-to sort out her house and garden so she can sell up and buy a house near to her daughter in different part of the country.
I helped to take two car loads of garden waste-weather was nice then!-but was shocked to see house is packed with boxes, just a passageway through each room. Sleeps on sofa downstairs; all 3 bedrooms packed with boxes. Garage full too.
She thinks it’s all done now and ready to move!
Any advice oh wise ones?

EllanVannin Tue 11-Jun-19 18:28:16

Oh dear. In situations where you have a hoarder it's perhaps wise to contact adult social services for advice on how you can help this lady without causing her distress if you think something is rubbish and she doesn't. Good luck.

Loislovesstewie Tue 11-Jun-19 18:29:37

I don't know if she will listen to you but I think you or maybe get daughter needs to point out that it will be difficult to sell the house if prospective buyers can't see the rooms. In addition if the mortgage lenders require a survey then that can't be carried out properly if access is difficult. Is there a garage where most of the stuff could be stored? And has she thought about how it will all be moved? And the cost? Do you know what is in the boxes? Is it rubbish or what? I think the daughter might need to visit!

Loislovesstewie Tue 11-Jun-19 18:30:20

Her daughter not get! Sorry!

Cherrytree59 Tue 11-Jun-19 18:54:13

Is it the lady herself who is the hoarder or her late husband?
If it was her husband then she will probably be glad of your help.

My advice would be very careful for your own health.
Gloves and mask maybe required.
There could be infestations a and bacteria where no proper cleaning has taken place for a considerable time.
Large amount of dust will have accumulated causing breathing problems to you or the lady once boxes and furniture are moved.

Hope all goes to planshamrock

phoenix Tue 11-Jun-19 19:00:04

Sounds tricky!

Who packed the boxes?

Any chance that someone could have a sneaky look inside them? If they are full of things like newspapers, then in reality they don't need to be moved, although of course she might think differently.

Charleygirl5 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:04:19

Is the house not a fire risk in its present state?

Loislovesstewie Tue 11-Jun-19 19:04:23

Does she actually have a buyer?

sodapop Tue 11-Jun-19 19:06:01

I would tread very carefully here Newquay The lady may not take kindly to your efforts to move her belongings. I really think you should be contacting her daughter for advice and support.

Witzend Tue 11-Jun-19 19:08:24

I think I'd be inclined to be blunt, and tell her she's never going to sell it with all that stuff all over the place. People need to be able to see the rooms properly.

If it's her own hoarding, rather than her husband's I dare say she'll be unlikely to,listen or believe you, though.
I'm sure any estate agent coming to value it will probably have something to say, but again, a genuine hoarder probably won't take any notice of them, either.

Difficult!

Witzend Tue 11-Jun-19 19:10:20

Of course an alternative, if she won't get rid of it, would be to put it all into storage, but that would be expensive, esp. if selling and buying dragged on for many months.

Day6 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:11:43

Boxes filling rooms and every space available suggest she is a hoarder. It sounds as though she hasn't put her house on the market yet?

I think this is a problem for her nearest and dearest to sort out as no estate agent is likely to enter and take photographs, for reasons of health and safety. The most an estate agent will do is take pictures of the exterior and even then they will not be able to show members of the public around if it involves squeezing down narrow passageways blocked either side with boxes.

The family of the lady concerned has to intervene I think. It may take psychological assistance before she will part with her treasures. Who knows what is in the boxes. Perhaps you should ask her?

Newquay Tue 11-Jun-19 21:30:50

Bless her, she says it’s all things she needs. It doesn’t look dirty at all, funnily enough. She plans to put it all in storage when she gets to new house while she decorates. Don’t know daughter-of course, she could be a hoarder too couldn’t she?
She gave me four bags of clothes which i’ve Taken to a charity shop-she seems keen things are recycled. Absolutely no mention of clearing anything out. She did give me a bag of newspapers to recycle-there was about a couple of dozen dated. . .2005!