Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen. New build, developer designed. Adapting

(4 Posts)
craftyone Fri 14-Jun-19 09:16:35

I was not looking forward to the kitchen in my new house. Small developer who did his best. Looks smart but was not my idea of a good working kitchen. I had to adapt myself, so I did. Some things I love and some I did not love. 6 weeks on

craftyone Fri 14-Jun-19 09:34:03

I was prepping for scones this morning and the only space to work on is 2 x 1 feet and I was thinking while I worked. What I like about the kitchen: the wide pullout larder which I was going to hate. The dull satin finish on the sink. The alternative use for my integrated fridge/freezer, now a most useful store for herbs/spices/dried fruits etc.

What I have come to terms with: the lack of drawers, I used my own dividers and storage and bought rows of hooks to stick on the tiles. Using half a hob, I bought a wooden cover for the other half and stand big utensils and a couple of other things on that. I changed some white goods for what I wanted. The ovens are too many and cool but I am adapting and using the big one for storage

I bought a tall fridge and a tall freezer because of my allotment lifestyle. I have ordered a 120 cm eddington block because I will have to store some heavy appliances on that, ice cream maker, food processor etc. It is mobile so I just have to use an extension lead. I am looking forward to the underneath storage because some favourite le creuset is still in the garage and I am looking forward to the much improved worktop space

I cannot use any top shelves, they are all too high. I store some well used appliances in the utility area, vitamix, veg juicer, breadmaker

So I am not moaning and will look after the kitchen so it lasts. It suits my neighbour a batchelor and I am ok with it, now

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 09:43:15

You seem to be a lady with very high standards. Just the opposite to me ha! Glad to hear you are settling in at your new home (which sounds lovely and upmarket by the way).

Me? I just lower the jump rope and hop over it easily! It might be less than ideal but it ensures my happiness. For instance if I didn’t have room for baking scones, I’d buy some nice ones and spend my time doing something else.
?

craftyone Fri 14-Jun-19 13:11:17

Oh yes I do have high standards, what I do what I eat and where I live. Not upmarket by some standards but a nice cosy home which is brand new. So 10 nice fluffy fully organic buttery sultana scones are now cooling, ready to freeze. The parcel man has been and I am free to enjoy the rest of the day, cycling first then maybe some yarn spinning. Fresh air and exercise followed by relaxation with yarn. Lovely