Gransnet forums

House and home

Dining Room Table Ideas?

(21 Posts)
GeorgyGirl Wed 19-Jun-19 09:03:08

SusieB50 the table sounds like a very special heirloom with wonderful memories. I would say definitely a keeper!

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Jun-19 21:32:00

SusieB50 - would you have an adult child who would like yours? That would be a perfect solution and they may have memories of your husband's table as you do of your father's.

chrissyh Tue 18-Jun-19 17:06:19

Try Youtube. They have quite a few videos on 'how to make a table'. Good luck.

Happysexagenarian Tue 18-Jun-19 16:46:57

Have a look around Pinterest, some great ideas there!

SusieB50 Tue 18-Jun-19 15:56:59

I am at this very moment trying to decide whether we have room for the lovely oak 6ft long table my father made 60 years ago! We are clearing my parent's house after my mother died recently .
It has so many happy memories of family gatherings , but the problem is we would have to get rid of the table DH made ( he doesn't know this yet !!) TBH I prefer my dad's ?

Callistemon Tue 18-Jun-19 15:18:40

Ours (not hand-made) doesn't have legs - it has two pedestals with a piece of wood joining them, so no-one has a leg to contend with. It has rounded edges too, no sharp corners.
It also separates out in the middle with an insert which opens up and flips over to lengthen it.

Old-fashioned but very serviceable, and the design is great!

AlisonKF Tue 18-Jun-19 15:08:52

I am curious to know what you are doing without a table in the meanwhile - or will you have
no guests until the new one is built?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 18-Jun-19 13:39:07

Are you only going to eat at the table, or is it an all purpose feature of your room?

I saw a table in a Dutch café that had sockets you could plug a computer into bang in the middle of the table top.

Marvellous idea if you want the sewing-machine on the table too.

No idea how you make a table, it's DH who is the carpenter, not me.

Lupin Tue 18-Jun-19 12:36:11

Personally I have found the round table with the central leaf pull out that turns it into an oval one the most practical. I love the idea of incorporating some glass and keep picturing a stained glass panel that matched up with one on the extension. Maybe stained glass would be too fragile.
Please post a picture when you have made it - whatever design you choose.

BazingaGranny Tue 18-Jun-19 12:12:24

Go to Pinterest, fabulous ideas there ... I put in ‘Home made dining table with glass’, found some stunning suggestions. Can’t get the link, sorry ?

Katek Tue 18-Jun-19 11:48:18

Not glass I know, but have you looked at epoxy resin tables? They’re beautiful and don’t think it would be beyond the scope of an obviously experienced woodworker. Lots of stuff online including YouTube tutorials.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:32:58

We have a central pedestal so that we can squeeze at least 12 round the table with no legs in the way.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Jun-19 11:27:51

If you decide against a glass top do have a look at British field maple. It is beautiful.

Mollygo Tue 18-Jun-19 11:24:46

I can’t suggest anything about building one, we are not that clever. I loved our round extending pedestal table but when we replaced it for the same reason as the OP we bought a chrome and glass one from IKEA and I love it.

silverlining48 Tue 18-Jun-19 11:02:57

We have just bought our very first brand new dining table and we have only been married 50 years.
I am thrilled with it and delighted to get rid of the old mahogany one which was bought second hand years ago for a similar price to the new one. Interestingly mahogany is called brown black by Ikea. I don’t care if it’s creeping back, 40 years is long enough to suffer a wobbly black brown table.
My new one is a slightly Rustic oak seats 6 with an easy extender, with four legs, one in each corner, so nice and sturdy. Good luck with the new build gefo.

Gonegirl Tue 18-Jun-19 09:49:10

When we had ours made we specified a leg at each corner (not being funny) rather than pullout leaves. That way you can get more people round it without a table leg being in someone's way.

And I like "turning" on the legs. A nice old fashioned look. Wouldn't go for a glass top myself. I like the look and feel of the wood. But it's a very personal thing of course.

craftyone Tue 18-Jun-19 09:44:09

A large slice of log with the bark edges, an insert cut out with a ledge all around to hold the glass or several small inserts and ledges to hold small shapes of glass. You could plane all over to get a surface which is even with the glass inserts and make the inserts after the glass is made, the underlying edges do not have to be even, just safe. Maybe you cannot find a big enough piece to hold 6 so maybe 2 or 3 pieces with some carving at the joints. Exciting

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Jun-19 09:43:48

Pin interest?

Gonegirl Tue 18-Jun-19 09:37:35

No EV! A handmade one is much nicer!

Gefodada, no ideas whatsoever. Sorry.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Jun-19 09:23:38

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one ?

Gefodada Tue 18-Jun-19 08:59:34

My dear wife has donated our dining room table to our son who has just bought his first house.

So I have to build another one. Any ideas for a novel and interesting design? It has to seat 6, or have a leaf arrangement that is not too complicated, and it would be good if the top incorporated artistic glass, since she melds and forms it as art.

Thanks