Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing Machine Clean

(24 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 23-Jun-19 07:50:59

Apologies if this has been asked before. Do any GNers do a periodic clean of their washing machine, and if so is it recommended to do an empty boil wash or to use a bought sachet thing? I usually only do 30 or 40 degree washes, and want to keep my new machine in good order. Also live in a hard water area. Thanks in advance for any advice.

LullyDully Sun 23-Jun-19 07:59:25

I use the sachet which seems ok but I am sure someone will be able to suggest something better. I only do it when it crosses my mind however which isn't often. So I too am open to advice.

crazyH Sun 23-Jun-19 08:01:30

Yes, I do. Just turn to the highest degree wash, with no clothes in and start. There is something you can buy, but instead the hottest wash with a bit of soap powder in the usual wash compartment.
For the dishwasher, I use the dishwasher cleaner, and same procedure....hottest wash.

kittylester Sun 23-Jun-19 08:03:52

I buy a cleaner from the supermarket about as regularly as lullydully. I think you can do that on 40.

sodapop Sun 23-Jun-19 08:10:57

I clean my washing machine frequently with laundry disinfectant with no washing in it. I do it often as I wash dog bedding etc. My machine has an auto clean facility.

Happychops Sun 23-Jun-19 08:19:47

A washing machine engineer advised me that I should use the 95% wash sometimes. I use dr beckhams washing machine cleaner, which I buy from the supermarket,I use this about every 6-8 weeks. They often have it on sale and I buy it then. I have had this machine 8 years now and it still runs like new. Enjoy using your new machine and I hope it lasts for many years.

Ginny42 Sun 23-Jun-19 08:22:41

I do it empty on a hot wash with a cleaner which can also be used in the dishwasher. I find the top tray difficult to clean on my model as I have to use an old toothbrush to get at the back of the pull-out tray. Open to suggestions on how to deal with it differently.

DanniRae Sun 23-Jun-19 08:53:03

I think you might be able to remove the soap tray Ginny - check in your instruction book. Good Luck!

tanith Sun 23-Jun-19 09:10:38

I do a hot wash with cup of white vinegar .

MiniMoon Sun 23-Jun-19 09:33:59

I take the soap tray out and give it a good wash in the kitchen sink. To clean the machine I do an empty boil wash.

glammanana Sun 23-Jun-19 09:41:16

I use Dr Beckhams or supermarkets own brand (both the same product) every 2 months or after I have washed dogs bedding,I take the tray out and wash in hot soapy water I just need to wipe the back where the tray fits as it never has time to have a build up.

midgey Sun 23-Jun-19 10:47:28

I use washing soda on the hottest possible wash. Much cheaper than Dr Beckhams. I agree about the soap tray, if you use conditioner it can get mouldy!

Coolgran65 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:52:30

I use soda crystals on the hottest wash...... When I remember. Sometimes use vinegar, often throw in some baking soda.

fairisle Sun 23-Jun-19 12:31:23

I use a cap full of calgon gel in an empty wash at 60c once a week,the washing machine smells really fresh afterwards! My washing machine is 4 years old,still works well.

Sara65 Sun 23-Jun-19 13:08:08

I use a cleaner by HR, if I haven’t got it, and it seems a bit smelly I use soda crystals

My big old machine is fifteen years old, and still going strong!

GillT57 Sun 23-Jun-19 13:19:14

Funnily enough my machine has been a little whiffy this week which has never happened before. How much soda crystals or white vinegar is needed and do you put it in the soap dispenser?

Sara65 Sun 23-Jun-19 13:41:21

GillT57

I just pour half a bag in the drum, and put it on the hottest wash, but I don’t know if that’s the correct amount, works for me .

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Jun-19 13:47:40

I buy sachets when they are on offer and pop one in the machine, no clothes at the hottest wash. This, of course, is when I remember.

BBbevan Sun 23-Jun-19 13:51:31

Thank you for reminding me. I am doing it now. Takes 3 hrs and now just to 20 mins to go. Will do a big wash tomorrow ( if it doesn't rain )

thisisnotme Sun 23-Jun-19 14:01:05

I always used either vinegar or soda crystals regularly but then read that if you do a really hot towel wash with biological soap powder (& towels) it has the same effect.

I live in a hard water area and this seems to work just as well as conventional cleaning methods.

Thingmajig Sun 23-Jun-19 14:12:34

I use sachets for the washing machine and dishwasher, should be every month but actually less often. Apparently as we tend to use low temp cycles now, this causes build-up of stuff which can block or smell nasty. An empty hot wash would probably be just as effective I think. smile

Juliette Sun 23-Jun-19 14:57:05

I use half a bag of soda crystals and a cup of white vinegar straight into the drum. Empty ninety degree wash every couple of months.
I put the soap dispenser in the dishwasher which keeps it gunge free.

RedRidingHood Sun 23-Jun-19 16:50:21

We have very hard water which plays havoc with appliances. My machine has a self clean cycle. Plus my top tip is never put anything in the drawer always in the drum. I've stopped using liquid as it leaves a residue and gone back to powder.

GillT57 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:49:50

Thank you Sarah65. I shall do that tomorrow, and also thanks juliette for the suggestion of putting the soap dispenser in the dish washer.