Gransnet forums

House and home

Red spider mites help!

(19 Posts)
Countrylife Mon 24-Jun-19 17:09:42

We moved in 5 years ago and 3 years ago they appeared this time of year and stick around for about 2 months, they are on every side of the cottage. They are on the walls, front door and all the windows & sills as well as the dog kennel. We cannot open a window which, is infuriating as we need to the air the old cottage. We have tried everything. We have even sat waiting early at different places to see where they come from hoping to find the nests but we never see them come, they are just there! Obviously there are quite a few nests. Online tells me they nest in the lawn well we live in the countryside and have fields all around us. Our house is in the field. We are due to begin knocking down the extension this September and re building and I am desperate to get rid of these damn things. I don’t want them nesting in the cavity walls or they will be inside in no time. Anyone have any suggestions? We have tried plain old disinfectant, spider spray, Jeyes and they keep coming back for more. They will disappear for an hour or so when we douse the house but they just come back. I just found one in the kitchen probably brought in on a shoe and occasionally one or two are in the conservatory, although we are careful all the time. I’ll try anything short of a flame thrower! HELP

EllanVannin Mon 24-Jun-19 18:04:39

You'll probably get a killer spray or the like off ebay or get a list of stockists near where you live.

Countrylife Tue 25-Jun-19 09:06:31

Found something as suggested SMC red spider mite natural Control will give it a try. I never think of eBay so thanks!

DaisyL Tue 25-Jun-19 10:24:31

According to the internet it is nearly impossible to eradicate these yourself - you need a professional! Not sure if I believe that but they are obviously pretty persistent. You may need something like a smoke bomb where you would have to leave the house for several hours.

holcott48 Tue 25-Jun-19 10:25:27

I've been putting up with them for more than 20 years, but have only ever seen one indoors - so far! It's the stain they leave that is amazing for something so small!

Izabella Tue 25-Jun-19 10:41:35

Try diatomaceous earth powder. It is an organic dessicant that dries out their body fluids. We used it for red mites in the hen coop with great success. Available from A****n online or any agricultural outlet.

MollyG Tue 25-Jun-19 10:44:30

Diatoms earth x

nannypiano Tue 25-Jun-19 10:49:39

I am very worried about all spiders and if I spot one in my bedroom, I'm afraid it's either me or them. The only thing I find that works quickly and efficiently is Raid spray. Kills everything in a second or two. In a red container. Amazon sell it. I hate doing it to them, and catch them if possible and put them outside. Can't bear the thought of them running over me when I'm asleep. Once the can has been sprayed, it keeps them away for weeks. It might be worth a try.

Annaram1 Tue 25-Jun-19 11:05:10

My grandma once told me that in South America where she lived, these little red creatures were valued for the red dye they produced, on being processed.

blueskies Tue 25-Jun-19 11:46:51

Last autumn I had conkers in all rooms and only had one large garden spider indoors all winter.

quizqueen Tue 25-Jun-19 12:48:32

Yes, I agree, it must be so annoying for all the little creatures of the world when humans choose to build on land where they live!!

Craftycat Tue 25-Jun-19 13:08:42

nannypiano- why not try getting your phobia cured.
I was absolutely terrified of spiders all my life until I sat in on a phobia curing session at a yoga retreat. It took about 20 mins. I wasn't even the one getting the treatment- I was just listening. Never gave it another thought until a week or so later there was a large spider in the bath & I gently picked him up & put him outside. They have never bothered me since & I can happily move them outside or to safety.

Patticake123 Tue 25-Jun-19 15:10:11

We had them in the conservatory every year. I bought some ‘insects’ off the Internet, cannot remember what they were but they got rid of the little blighters.

sazz1 Tue 25-Jun-19 18:47:42

Try Indorex along the window sills and doorways. Ants will not cross it so probably will work for spiders too. Still works for weeks even after you have washed the floor. Vet told me she uses it for ants.

Tillybelle Tue 25-Jun-19 19:21:20

Just find a professional, someone who is a member of the British Pest Control Association - BPCA.
Only they have access to the heavy stuff that you need for such a big infestation. You'll be able to look them up online.
Good luck.

Alexa Tue 25-Jun-19 20:06:03

I used to have these in a house we lived in and they did not seem harmful.

Fennel Tue 25-Jun-19 20:39:41

As Daisy said a smoke bomb could help. Ask a vet.
We used to live in the country and occasionally had a flea infestation, but it was only in the living room. I opened the bomb when we went to bed, shut the doors, and all dead by morning. The bugs, I mean, not us!
But yours sounds different and more widespread.

melp1 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:40:46

What harm do they do?

Fennel Wed 26-Jun-19 19:22:04

They can bite people and cause itchy rash. Evidently they live on plants and cause damage to them so you start there. This might help:
www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-get-rid-of-spider-mites-in-your-home
They sound horrible.