Gransnet forums

House and home

Looking for sofa suggestions

(20 Posts)
Joyfulnanna Sun 30-Jun-19 10:04:39

Hello lovely Gransnetters
Can you help with suggestions for a new sofa or suite? Most look great but don't offer much lumber support. If you have any sofa suggestions, would be much appreciated.

tanith Sun 30-Jun-19 10:14:16

We bought a GPlan suite and it’s extremely comfy with a high back and lots of support. They aren’t the most trendy looking but I prefer comfort over looks any day.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:33:27

Ours is a Parker Knoll. It has extra support in the lumber area. My sofa is stripped and chairs a gold which picks up some colour in the strips, but they do their stuff in a miriad of colours.

mosaicwarts Sun 30-Jun-19 13:21:00

Great thread, I will need to buy a new sofa when I move, such a big purchase.

I wouldn't recommend a leather chesterfield like mine - far too low at the back, too hard to rest your feet on the arms, and there is blue fluff in every button hole, I dread cleaning it! I also find the leather cold, and easily scratched.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:40:06

I bought my 3 piece suite at my local DFS. I can elevate my legs at one chair and one part of the two seater sofa and I did not pay the thousands extra for one chair which can be put almost flat and the feet elevated.

Be careful because if you see a sea of chairs etc be mindful of the width. Certainly, in my area, not every piece of furniture would have fitted into this house.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Jun-19 14:05:10

Our sofa is a corner group, I think it's called. L shaped, seats 6 at a push. We also bought the accompanying foot stool which is rather large, but the grandchildren like it!
A local department store were having a sale, so it was a bargain.

Gran2028 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:19:39

I can recommend Alstons sofas/suites. Can buy individual items to mix and match according to your requirements.
My suite is 10 years old and still immaculate..
Great British company.

craftyone Sun 30-Jun-19 20:45:22

I have a big sofa and cannot sit back on it without 2 cushions behind my back, it has squishy arms and is perfect where it is now. I have 6 cushions on it and it has 2 fabric seat cushions and is a tetrad in dark brown leather. It looks nice and comfy, is very good for sitting sideways, which I will do in winter and I have slept on it when the wind was bad in my other house, so it is a potential spare bed for a person under 5`

I have 2 chairs, one black leather zero gravity chair in black, my grief madness spend but I don`t regret it. I can lay back at zero gravity, play nice music and it gets rid of stress or an aching back. Another expensive grief buy that I use every single day is a himolla chester riser recliner. I future proofed with this one. I made sure that I could comfortably knit in each chair.

Nandalot Sun 30-Jun-19 21:15:30

Another fan of Alston’s here. Bought one of their large couches a few years back to replace an M and
D S one which did not last the distance. Alston one is still as good as new.

etheltbags1 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:28:37

When anyone is buying a new sofa please don't remove the fire certificates. I know of two people who have had to put next to new sofas in the landfil because of this. Both had bought sofas a nd a year or so had downsized and their sofas were too big. Hence they could not sell or give to charity.

Glammy57 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:34:31

Duresta make beautiful sofas and chairs. Personally, I think a three piece suite is rather dated! How about a sort of mix and match approach?

BradfordLass72 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:55:38

Can you help with suggestions for a new sofa or suite?

Certainly.
Pour yourself a glass of your favourite drink, get yourself a good book and relax on the sofa for at least an hour every day.

If you have a SO, cuddle up with them too. smile

Nannytopsy Sun 30-Jun-19 22:12:06

HSL do a range of sizes to fit different heights and lots of support. Considering one of them at the moment.

Jalyn Sun 30-Jun-19 22:33:16

I also agree with previous posters that Alston's sofas are a good buy. We have 2 sofas which are very comfortable and supportive and hold their shape very well. Wide choice of fabrics with option to mix and match and add cushions in matching or contrasting fabrics.

Katyj Mon 01-Jul-19 06:34:45

We've just ordered an Ashood sofa apparently their made in Wales.It'll take 8 to 10 weeks before it's ready, anyone know of them? Our last leather sofa's were from M and S and have been very poor quality, very expensive too.

Joyfulnanna Mon 01-Jul-19 13:12:35

Thank you for all your suggestions...has anyone got a reclining sofa? What do you think of them?

felice Mon 01-Jul-19 13:33:46

I recently bought one from Ikea, very comfortable, suits the room and my price range.
But yes there was one, the woman in the shop told me we would need , 3 car lenghts for the delivery van, ok street is quiet during the day.
When it arrived, after DD and I clearing the stairs, taking the old one to peices etc.
It was a big box, flatpack,,,, it went together really easily and the cushions were vaccumn sealed and looked like weird pizza bases.
I really like it but was a bit surprised to get a flatpack 3 seater sofa.

Joyfulnanna Tue 02-Jul-19 21:13:41

What was it called? Thanks

Missfoodlove Tue 02-Jul-19 21:59:00

Look at Stressless (Ekornes) this Norwegian company makes exceptional reclining sofas and chairs.
There should be a stockist near you.
Expensive but fabulously comfortable.

Joyfulnanna Wed 03-Jul-19 18:14:12

Thank you missfoodlove.. Excellent advice/choice/quality.