Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen cupboard collapsing

(6 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 04-Jul-19 08:25:46

Our kitchen is only semifitted and has been in since we moved here in the 1980s. It's solid wooden doors and fronts but with chipboard innards.
Now the insides are collapsing.
Is it possible to have it repaired?
Can you recommend a good source for an inexpensive yet well made kitchen?
I've looked at new kitchens but it would have to be all or nothing as the sizes are different now.
I wasn't planning to have to move out of the kitchen just as hoards of visitors are arriving .
Sod's law.

shysal Thu 04-Jul-19 09:20:01

I am sure a carpenter would be able to do a repair for you. Do you have a local newsletter or parish magazine? There are usually adverts in them from tradesmen. Of course it may be that they are all so busy that they don't want relativelty small jobs.
Good luck with finding a solution.

Jane10 Thu 04-Jul-19 10:20:13

These kitchens are such a racket! I wasn't impressed at all when we had to get a new one when having to do a total refurb of an old flat. The materials were rubbish but, once you say, 'kitchen unit' telephone number figures appear! Shelves didn't deteriorate in good quality old cupboards unlike modern versions.
Could you find an old fashioned Welsh dresser type thing? Or something well made but free standing?

saadparker Thu 04-Jul-19 12:01:35

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

saadparker Thu 04-Jul-19 12:37:43

I'm a fan of loft style and space in everything. I do not like when there is a lot of things and they are superfluous.
I often order cabinets and tables from my sketches from carpenters (it’s even cheaper than buying ready-made in a shop) or buy it at IKEA. Look at the internet "Loft Kitchen Ideas", I'm sure you will like it too.
I cook not only because I'm a mom of two kids, but also cooking is my hobby, I am ready to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and all the little things from design to kitchen appliances are extremely important for me. I get interesting ideas from blogs or such sites as mykitchenadvisor.com/. Now there are a lot of modern things in design, different organizers, which will allow you to arrange your kitchen not expensively and beautifully.
I wish you good luck in the selection and good mood.

Grammaretto Thu 04-Jul-19 15:36:22

That's really helpful. Thanks a lot.
I have now removed everything from the cupboard and found a temporary home for all the food and thrown out stuff dating from 2015
There was too much in it and the top was being used to store big heavy casserole dishes so no wonder it gave way.
I have messaged the joiner and await an inspection.