Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice about clearing loose hair from carpets etc.

(38 Posts)
Genevieve489 Sun 07-Jul-19 14:31:37

I've always been lucky enough to have thick hair and last year I decided to let it grow. It is past shoulder length now. The only thing is that there is hair everywhere in the house! When I've finished vacuuming I have to pull hair out of the brush head, which is completely tied up in long, silver strands. I'm worried that the vacuum cleaner may not work eventually due to all the hair entwined in it..

Is there any other way of getting rid of loose hair that anyone can recommend? And, is it normal to lose so much hair every time I brush it? Or even when I don't!

Septimia Sun 07-Jul-19 14:37:18

I have the same problem, with the addition of cat hair.

Try one of those gadgets with a long handle and a rubber thing like a windscreen wiper on the end - the sort of thing that you use for getting the water off windows when you clean them or for wiping down the shower. If you use that on the carpet it should, with any luck, at least gather most of the hair into a bunch so that you can pick it up.

Alima Sun 07-Jul-19 14:46:56

Solve the problem with one fell swoop. Get your hair cut, result, no more bunged up vacuum brush. ( Cat hair isn’t nearly so bad at clogging up the hoover, too short).

shysal Sun 07-Jul-19 14:55:23

My hair is shoulder length and is also everywhere. Every few weeks I have to dismantle the vacuum head and cut away the hairs from the roller (I looked up how to do it on YouTube), and use a damp cloth or toothbrush to pick them up from the carpet edges along the skirting board.

Septimia Sun 07-Jul-19 14:57:56

True, Alima, but I don't want short hair. Long hair is more versatile and I don't want to end up with the same hairstyle as so many other women my age. I like to be different (awkward?).

Alima Sun 07-Jul-19 15:00:48

In that case, get shot of any carpets. All the hair would be much easier to clear up with a long handled duster thingy.

Pantglas1 Sun 07-Jul-19 15:02:07

I grew my hair long so that I could wear it in a french plait for a wedding (and very nice it looked too by all accounts as I couldn’t see the back!). However my husband went mad about the hair all over our small rugs/door mats and found the only thing to shift it was to scuff his trainers back and forth until it all rolled into a ball! Luckily I got fed up with long hair and had it cut short a day later and there’s very little moulting now!

EllanVannin Sun 07-Jul-19 15:04:51

______same problem here with hair tangled around the vacuum brush. I have to get the scissors to make a cut in the tightly-packed hair to give me an opening to unravel it.
My own hair is long too but I don't want to look like a clone either. I prefer the burst mattress look !

Grammaretto Sun 07-Jul-19 15:06:15

Against our better judgement, our tenant asked if he could keep a cat. She would be no trouble and indoors all the time.
When he and cat finally moved out, we were on hands and old knees scraping with the edge of a blunt knife at the carpet to get rid of all the cat hair so if that was bad, I can imagine yours would be worse. It gets tied up in the vacuum cleaner.
But at least it's not as bad as a moth infestation which is what we are presently dealing with........ angry

Calendargirl Sun 07-Jul-19 20:53:18

My hair is also shoulder length and yes, it clogs up the vacuum cleaner. I try and put loose hair in the bin when I brush my hair, but still end up with it on the bedroom carpet. My DH untangles the vacuum periodically. I suppose short hair would be so much easier, and my long hair often looks a mess, but don’t really want to go back to short hair.✂️

crazyH Sun 07-Jul-19 20:56:27

We lose 100 head hair every day, but I lose o etching like 1000?

crazyH Sun 07-Jul-19 21:02:30

Forgot to answer the question.
The best way to get hairs out of the carpet is to use an old closely thin bristled hair brush, go on your hands and knees and brush the carpet - you'll be surprised how much hair you will get out of your carpet. Try it ...it does work.

Genevieve489 Sun 07-Jul-19 21:17:45

Thanks for your replies all. I don't really want to go back to short hair, I quite like it long. I've done a bit of Googling and found that you can buy rubber brushes, specifically for pet hair and human hair, so I'm going to give that a go. Probably along the same lines as you suggested Septima and crazyH. Good luck with your moth infestation, Grammaretto .

EllanVannin Sun 07-Jul-19 21:22:41

My Shark does the trick. Just keep releasing the hair from the brushes.

RosieLeah Sun 07-Jul-19 21:25:14

Have you tried one of those sticky rollers for removing pet hair? It means getting down on your hands and knees and going over the whole carpet, but it works.

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Jul-19 21:32:52

When we had long haired dogs we used old washing up sponges. Sort of sweeping action with a damp sponge collected them altogether. Again it meant getting down on hands and knees, but it works. The trainer thing works too and is a good leg exercise!

The animal head on my Dyson is quite good but not as good as a damp sponge!

SirChenjin Sun 07-Jul-19 21:40:53

I think I read somewhere that nylon tights stretched over the vacuum head works for this problem. Probably only for certain types of vacuums though!

jusnoneed Sun 07-Jul-19 22:14:16

When I had a white cat her hair was a nightmare on carpet. I bought a rubber brush, long handled, and was always amazed at how much hair it collected.

polyester57 Mon 08-Jul-19 08:54:23

I was taught by my mother to always brush my hair out in the morning, I do this standing over the bath tub, sometimes I count the number of strokes (min. 20), then I pull out all loose hair from the hair brush, swipe the hair that´s fallen into the bath with a piece of toilet paper and chuck it all in the bin. My hair is shoulder-length and I never have a problem with hair on pillows or carpets or anywhere.

rizlett Mon 08-Jul-19 10:49:30

I'm the same - long hair, short hair whichever - loads comes out. I find it spread all over the place - making me wonder how it is I'm not bald yet - I end up pulling out a handful from the plug hole every time I wash my hair. I imagine its an age thing or perhaps low iron.

FlexibleFriend Mon 08-Jul-19 11:04:58

buy a rubber broom like this
www.amazon.co.uk/JML-UK-Dapper-Rubber-Wonderbroom/dp/B01GOGMOTI/ref=sr_1_11?s=gateway&keywords=rubber+broom&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1562580203&sr=8-11

pce612 Mon 08-Jul-19 11:42:26

Go to a saddlers and get a rubber curry comb - works wonders on horses, carpets and non-leather upholstery.
Just spent an hour removing black Newfoundland hair from the brush bars on a vacuum cleaner, the worst dog hair I have ever experienced!

JackyB Mon 08-Jul-19 11:56:15

Couldn't you wear a hairnet when you're on your own? Or a scarf? Or put it up or keep that plait in? Brush out rigorously in the mornings over the basin.

Enjoy your long hair! And if you try and prevent hair falling out unnecessarily you could even enjoy your housework!

madmum38 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:22:37

Try one of these, they are a rubber head brush and amazing at picking up hair, cat hair, dust balls etc then once you are done just wipe off whatever with a paper towel then can rinse the head under the tap ready for next time

Wiltshiregrams Mon 08-Jul-19 12:37:39

My mother used a chamois leather to get hair off carpet and sofa. Seemed to work a treat for her. They had a Pyrenean Mountain dog so a lot of hair.