Gransnet forums

House and home

White skirt and trousers turned yellow

(20 Posts)
Peonyrose Wed 17-Jul-19 07:50:42

My almost new chinos, cotton and polyester from M and S have yellow all down the front, my white all cotton skirt turned yellow at the side, I think the culprit is sun lotion. I have soaked them in bleach, sprayed with vinegar and lemon juice, but you can still see traces I'd yellow. Do I just bin them!

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Jul-19 07:53:42

You could try Dylon colour run remover which bleaches most things out, but make sure you have washed out all the bleach, lemon juice etc first.
I fear they might be doomed though.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:00:36

Peonyrose, try hanging them out in the sun, or, better still, lay them down on a table or sheet with the yellow areas exposed and leave them there for the day.

Sunlight has amazing bleaching/whitening qualities, especially on yellow or orange food stains (kids clothes) so it's always worth a try.

JackyB Wed 17-Jul-19 08:10:19

Talking of Dylon, you could dye them a darker colour which might not show up the stain so much.

Or just wash them a few more times with a generous addition of Vanish.

Hang them out in the sun.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:58:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiniMoon Wed 17-Jul-19 09:17:05

I got turmeric stains out of a pale blue t-shirt by lying it out in the sunshine. It's worth a try.

Missfoodlove Wed 17-Jul-19 09:22:35

Use Ace for whites. Works every time.

Grandmamaoftwo Wed 17-Jul-19 09:30:13

I had this problem, I soaked a white linen shirt in white vinegar and it worked. I have now found a very good sunscreen that doesn't stain, not sure if I can name it but here goes, Ul...sun.

Mossfarr Wed 17-Jul-19 09:41:16

I've just returned from holiday and several of my favourite items of white clothing were stained yellow.
I've tried vanish, bleach and colour remover with no joy.
Last resort I soaked them in a white vinegar solution and they are much better, definitely wearable again.
I'm going to follow the advice of previous posters and leave them in full sun to (hopefully)get rid of the last slight traces of staining. good luck.

RomyP Wed 17-Jul-19 09:49:39

I find washing by hand in that long lasting green washing up liquid that's allegedly kind to your hands (is it heck? ), rinsing well and hanging in direct sunlight best solution for stains. In last weekend's sunshine I eventually managed to get stains out of white linen tablecloth used at Christmas, 2 previous washes using Ace hadn't worked but the washing up liquid and sunshine worked like a dream.

chelseababy Wed 17-Jul-19 11:36:03

I had some white trousers which got stained with self tan. Bleach (?) turned the stain yellow. I just kept washing them every time I did a white wash and eventually it wasn't noticeable. I've also heard Milton or denture cleaners recommended!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 18-Jul-19 13:46:49

Have you tried anointing the stains liberally with washing-up liquid then leaving the clothes to dry completely before washing them on as hot a cycle as possible?

I have removed all sorts of stains from cotton clothes using this trick. Everything from elderberry stains to the stains you are coping with.

Ellianne Thu 18-Jul-19 15:13:53

This happened to our crisp white sheets when friends using an Australian suncream were staying. You could almost see the shape of the body on the sheet. I tried everything, but the greasy residue was still yellow. The nearest I got to success was with white wine vinegar

Peonyrose Thu 18-Jul-19 21:59:00

Thankyou everyone, tried the vinegar, the Milton, Vanish and bleach, now I have binned the two items as I was becoming a trifle obsessed, determined not to give up.

grannyqueenie Thu 18-Jul-19 23:14:03

You’re probably right in blaming sun lotion. I ruined the white trim on a swimming costume when lashing on sun cream... lesson learned the hard way!

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 23:37:46

hydrogen peroxide ( can buy in a chemist) and baking soda mixed to a watery paste will remove almost any stain, including dried up blood

Summerlove Thu 18-Jul-19 23:56:59

Try washing with a dish soap. Cover the staining with dish soap to get out the grease, then launder and hang to dry in full sun.

Sun cream is really hard to remove

willa45 Thu 18-Jul-19 23:57:18

Try "Oxy-Clean" powder....Order it through Amazon if it's not available locally.

Measure a scoopful (plastic scoop is included in the box) into a bucket of very hot water (approx 4 gallons) and mix thoroughly. Soak the items in the hot Oxy-Clean solution for at least three hours. You may want to poke/push down items every so often to keep them submerged because they often float to the top.

Remove the items after a few hours then hand or machine wash with regular detergent.

willa45 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:02:28

Oxy clean has several products....I've included a link for the Oxy Clean powder I use......

www.amazon.com/OxiClean-Versatile-Stain-Remover-7-22/dp/B005GI8UOO/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&keywords=oxyclean+powder&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1563490735&sr=8-3

Hetty58 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:01:17

It's a shame that Peonyrose didn't try the sunshine before she threw the items away. It's free, environmentally friendly and it works! I left a t-shirt outside for a week in the sun, wind and rain then washed it again and it was perfect.