Gransnet forums

House and home

Do clothes moths have predators?

(58 Posts)
Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 16:07:31

I cant think that they do as I have tried everything from lavender to hard core poisons and nothing deters the wee B****rs
They merrily eat their way through carpets and clothes indiscriminately and have defeated me.
I feel I've done everything possible. I even have a dedicated freezer for storing precious rugs and heirlooms

I love pure wool and natural fibres and so do the wretched moths.

I have thrown away lots of clothes and scrubbed out wardrobes and drawers but I still have them.
I have spent a small fortune on pheromone traps
Has anyone an answer?

RosieLeah Sat 20-Jul-19 16:19:24

I shall watch this and see what the responses are. I have loads of these little moths in my dwelling, and I have a lot of wool and silk clothing, but none get chewed. I presumed it was because of the lavender bags I use.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jul-19 16:20:40

I ve never had any ?
Can’t you get moth balls any more ?

vena11 Sat 20-Jul-19 16:26:30

Have you tried Camphor oil .

midgey Sat 20-Jul-19 16:32:39

I think their only real predator is a vacuum cleaner!

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 16:34:37

No Bluebelle, the naphthalene balls we remember so well are not sold any more. I think they poison people as well as moths.
Part of the problem is that we tend to wash our clothes on a cool wash which doesn't kill the eggs, which hatch into larvae which do the damage, Once you see a moth - and they are tiny- it's too late , the damage is done. The adults have no mouths. They are looking for a mate to start the whole cycle.
I know I'm not alone because I went into Lakeland looking for some of the traps and when I asked, a queue formed! I was told moths are endemic in the flats in the city.
Just as I think I'm winning, I see another blighter.
I think you may be safe Roseleah if you wear and wash your clothes regularly.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 17:10:52

you may be onto something there midgey
I've not tried camphor oil venall. I am a bit sceptical since lavender bags, strong smelling soap and cedar balls have been as much use as trying to wave a magic wand.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jul-19 17:11:19

I don’t think I ve got any real wool clothes so that’s probably why I ve never had any ?

janeainsworth Sat 20-Jul-19 17:59:11

I use these from John Lewis
www.johnlewis.com/acana-hanging-moth-killer-and-wardrobe-freshener-pack-of-6/p3597144

And an aerosol spray of the same make. It seems to work - I do see moths sometimes but they seem half-dead & don’t seem to have attacked any clothes. I started using them after a couple of cashmere sweaters were ruined but since I’ve been using them, no more disasters.

Auntieflo Sat 20-Jul-19 18:12:45

I have never had them before this year, but they are persistent little blighters. I think it must be a bad year.
I have used the Arcana. spray, and the hanging ones in the wardrobes. I did send for some moth smoke bombs and used them upstairs. I also found that they seem to like the damp towels overnight, so now shake them every morning and squidge any if they appear.
On Thursday I went into our loft to retrieve something and on the underside of the loft hatch were lots of dead ones. Ugh! I washed all the hatch with soapy water and ammonia, it was the only thing to hand, and hoovered, again.
I haven’t seen any for the last day or so, but I do feel like a hunter on the prowl every day for anything that looks as though it may be a dreaded carpet moth.

grannysyb Sat 20-Jul-19 19:08:39

I discovered carpet moth under my sofa earlier this year, they'd eaten whole in the rug. I went to moth killer.co.uk, sorry can't do links, and they sent me spray, powder another spray and a pheromone trap and it worked! Not sure if you can get pheromone traps for clothes moths. I have heard that putting clothes in the freezer kills the larvae.

farview Sat 20-Jul-19 19:18:14

I never actually see any...but third t-shirt today with holes in it.. aaagh!!!!

SparklyGrandma Sat 20-Jul-19 19:26:29

Yes Grammarretto, Waitrose moth traps - work every time.

paddyann Sat 20-Jul-19 19:40:47

my late mother gave me a fur coat ..a very nice fur coat but I dont wear fur.It had been a gift from my dad for an anniversary in the days when women had a wardrobe of furs.My sisters got fur coats too but mine went in the attic.Not long before she died my OH was up in said attic and I asked him to chuck the coat down so I could check it....laughinly said in case mum wants buried iin it..just as well she didn't there was only the skin left!! It had been in special tissue inside a box but they still managed to get it!

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 19:55:54

The thing about them is the eggs are tiny and look and feel like sand. So of you feel the bottom of a drawer and it feels like sand but you haven't been to the beach recently - yes you guessed!
I wondered what became of all those fur coats paddyann
My DM had one too.

J52 Sat 20-Jul-19 20:38:24

I hate them. DS brought an infested jacket back from uni and it was a while before I discovered it!
I fumigated his fitted wardrobe and painted the inside. I now spray all wardrobes with moth killer and hang up traps.
Occasionally I see one at this time of year and assume it’s flown in.
They seem to be a real pest everywhere.

fizzers Sat 20-Jul-19 21:17:01

might be worth speaking to a professional extermination company, either council or other company. I think you've done all you can and seem to be fighting a losing battle.

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Jul-19 05:27:03

Do clothes moths have predators?

They do. Introduce a few bats and a couple of owls into your wardrobe.

DanniRae Sun 21-Jul-19 09:36:23

Our last carpet had masses of moth holes in it. The new one has been treated against moths and all good, so far. We have a sticky pad thing from Lakeland which has a few casualties on it and a 'tennis racket' type thing which you hit the moths with and press a button and they are zapped. It works for flies too! I got it from Amazon. Touch wood we don't seem to get them upstairs so our clothes are fine, so far.

Grandyma Sun 21-Jul-19 10:35:25

We had an infestation in our previous house. It’s the larvae that do the damage. We moved a very large wall unit and they had completely destroyed/eaten the carpet underneath. We bought several spray cans from a pest control website and treated the problem ourselves - I think it took about 6 cans!! I would strongly advise calling in a pest control company - they are very persistent and destructive little things. Good luck with it.

alig99 Sun 21-Jul-19 10:56:12

I have the same problem. In particular many of my cotton tops have been attacked and ruined but moths. I was bitterly disappointed when a brand new never worn one was chewed within a couple of days of being purchased. These tops are hanging not in draws, not in a dark wardrobe. I’ve tried spray and lavender etc but it still happens. We even have got new carpet and underlay... bizarrely they never seem to attack my husbands cloths and generally the holes appear in the middle of the tops. I’m despairing that I will ever get rid of them.

Grammaretto Sun 21-Jul-19 10:57:08

Someone we know paid Rentokill to fumigate or whatever, The bill was astronomical and they would only give a 3 month guarrantee. The moths are back.

I am slowly tackling a room at a time and I think with all my weaponry, they will have to look elsewhere for food.
What I can't understand is what they find so delicious in the shower? I have a full trap in there. Are they coming through the ventilation hole?

There is a tawny owl roosting in the Ivy on our wall Bradfordlass don't give me ideas.

TillyWhiz Sun 21-Jul-19 11:00:40

I found an infestation of 50 carpet moth larvae under the spare bed at Easter. They look like grains of rice. I removed the furniure but had to check all of it as they climb to make cocoons and they were in the drawers. I then sprayed with Acana and a month later sprayed again. I also got the carpet moth pheremone traps and caught some in them (replace strips every 3 months). I now hoover much more than I did, especially along the skirtings, keeping an eye open for the larvae. I find they are inclined to pop up on the carpet the day after hoovering! I seemed to have won now, apparently it's been a bad year for them. The moths are inclined to scurry round the carpet, trying to find a dark place to lay eggs. Clothes moths are a different moth, I use clothes moth pheremone traps, cedarwood rings and as they're inclined to fly higher and land on walls, always watch out for them and swat them with a teatowel!

Scottiebear Sun 21-Jul-19 11:02:18

We had noticed a regular few in our bedroom. We assumed getting in through window. But we discovered eggs/moths amongst hats/gloves etc. under our ottoman bed. They'd eaten through a few things. We removed everything. Threw out some things that appeared to have unhatched eggs in them. Cleaned storage area of bed. We hoovered room thoroughly,particularly under bed, which was close to the floor. Checked items round room and found a couple with eggs. Washed them carefully as they were items with sentimental value - a handmade penguin DH bought me in the Falkland Islands. Bought some cedarwood moth repellents and put them around room. Think it's done the trick. Think the main thing you need to do is have a really good clean. Check all clothing, soft items, curtains and carpets, to make sure you get rid of all the eggs. They are easy to miss and will continue to hatch.

VRH1 Sun 21-Jul-19 11:02:23

My sympathies regarding moths. I’ve just cleaned out my dead mothers house and she loved natural fabrics. It was so sad to see expensive clothes destroyed and her lovely cream wool carpets that she’d had for 50years. I am greatful to the lady who described the larvae. I thought it was wood worm. Now I know! I buy suit bags off eBay to store my wool coats in. I also have a an electronic blue zapper thing in the kitchen which runs overnight so my house is bug free by the morning. I think you can still get hold of those toxic mothballs. I’ve still got them in my wardrobes.