Gransnet forums

House and home

New Cooker

(13 Posts)
spottysocks Sun 21-Jul-19 15:39:39

Well, I think it's time I bought a new cooker, my old eye level one is at least 30 years old and needs replacement parts which I just cannot get anymore. hmm

Bit annoyed by the fact that the descriptions regarding the grill are 'variable' or 'full width' All I want to do is toast or grill a few fish fingers! lol. My old grill let me control just how low or high the flame should be. smile

Not much choice for an eye level one these days, and I didn't like what was available compared to my old one (sigh)

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Jul-19 18:41:44

I think they might be referring (grill wise) to the fact that some let you turn on just half a grill.
Choosing new appliances is not something I've done much of personally as only once ever "had a new kitchen" but I hope you find one to suit. There are thousands to choose from these days. My problem was narrowing it down!!
What is the thing you want most in your new oven? For me it had to be "self-cleaning" as I can't bear scrubbing ovens!

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-Jul-19 18:44:17

Also, can't they fit any oven at eye-level? My mother in law just had her old oven moved up so she can see in easily. I think they can be whatever height you want if it's in a "fitted kitchen" type frame.

Franbern Sat 27-Jul-19 10:28:23

Not sure if you are looking for a gas oven/grill. I do know that there is a very limited choice of these. If Electric, then there really are so very many.
As has been said, it is very useful to have a grill that can only have half of it on. Ideal for one or two people. Rarely use the full width of my grill.
Look into the different types of oven, these days, there are steamer ones as well as normal ones. Self cleaning can be useful, although - as I use my oven rarely, I find it just as good to get someone in every other year to clean oven and grill - they do such a brilliant job.

spottysocks Sun 28-Jul-19 12:59:24

I don't have a fitted kitchen so it's the free standing double oven type of gas cooker and hob I'm going to be looking at. Nothing fancy, just a normal oven will do!

We are lucky enough to have a electrical/computer store near us so as soon as I'm able to get down there (broken ankle at the mo)sad I'll have a good look around.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 13:04:24

I have always had gas or gas job/ electric fan ovens, but would not buy gas again. It is no longer cheaper to run and induction hobs are a dream to keep clean.
However having bought a huge range cooker 10 years ago I doubt ifI will be replacing it!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jul-19 14:26:08

I'd buy another with an eye=level grill.

spottysocks Sun 28-Jul-19 14:34:13

I would buy another eye level grill, but can only find one, (no choice at all!) and having looked at it when I was last in the store it wasn't a patch on mine, seemed a bit flimsy and badly made. Sharp edges everywhere and the reviews about the grill put me off buying it.

petra Sun 28-Jul-19 14:46:38

spottysocks
What brands are you looking at?

spottysocks Sun 28-Jul-19 15:17:21

Beko or Flavel is the only eye level cooker I can find. Hob with double oven Hotpoint or Indesit. We don't have a big budget so trying to keep the cost down a bit as we have to allow another £100 for the installation, disposal etc.

spottysocks Sun 28-Jul-19 15:20:04

A lot of new cookers these days don't even supply a grill handle. How bad is that! angry

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:28:10

I'd get a new oven with eye-level grill in a heartbeat if I could. These newfangled built-in jobbies aren't a patch on the traditional ones. I believe that it is a matter of style over substance - they are streamlined because the designers have deemed that they look good - I know that I sound like an old fogey but so be it.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Jul-19 02:03:21

Montpellier has one with an eye level grill. I don’t know if it’s any better than the ones you’ve seen.