Gransnet forums

House and home

Ikea kitchen

(27 Posts)
Countrylife Sat 27-Jul-19 17:08:59

I asked some months ago about kitchens in general and had some good advice. I had a Wickes quotation for wood frame doors painted of £12,000 including appliances. After advice I looked up DIY kitchens and yes they appeared to be a great deal cheaper. However, we would have to drive to Yorkshire and that is a heck of a way to see the quality and they won’t do the order in the showroom. So I looked at Ikea. The same kitchen layout that I had with Wickes, I drew it myself with same units only slight difference being 2 40cm wide larders cupboards instead of the full 80cm unit in Wickes. But at almost £6,000 less including appliances I really do think we will take the plunge. However, everyone seems to have story about what they heard happened to a friend of a friend of a friend, so I am asking any Ikea Kitchen customers to give me their opinion on the service and quality plus any follow up customer service they experienced. They are flat pack unlike Wickes and we will erect ourselves, we’ve built kitchens before and ikea tend to be very good at making units fit snuggly together but we will have the carpenter install. Anyone with Ikea have a comment? Tks

suzied Sat 27-Jul-19 17:16:56

Builders don't like IKEA kitchens as they don't leave so much space at the back for pipework etc, but it means you get more cupboard space. We've had 2 IKEA kitchens and my advice is don't get the cheapest ones. The more expensive doors lasted so well we even sold the doors when we wanted to change the kitchen, but when we had a cheaper range they fell apart and had to be replaced. They did replace them to be fair. I found contacting them via facebook or twitter much more effective than going to the store. We live quite near an IKEA so we did spend a lot of time going back and forward for extra bits.

Sara65 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:39:19

I used to know a man who fitted kitchens, and he said if I was ever thinking of replacing the kitchen, Ikea was the best

mcem Sat 27-Jul-19 17:49:46

DS and Dil are currently having a big extension built and their builders will also carry on to fit the kitchen. They'd almost settled for Wren but switched to Ikea on appearance and price. Since the wiring and plumbing will go in with the build they should be fine. Builders very happy with their choice.

paddyann Sat 27-Jul-19 19:13:23

we're on our second Ikea kitchen though my husband has built several for friends and their children.He says they're childsplay.He's not a professional kitchen builder but he can put an Ikea kitchen together in jig time.The trick ,he tells me,is to lay everythng out for the unit you're building and check you have all the parts/screws etc.Then its simple and quick .We've been very happy with the quality and the high gloss doors we have wipe clean easily ,I use window cleaner on them and its a quick and easy clean

paddyann Sat 27-Jul-19 19:13:51

hes NOT a professional kitchen builder !!

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jul-19 19:25:32

Hi Countrylife. I had a new Bodbyn IKEA kitchen fitted just 4 weeks ago at the same time that my neighbour also had an IKEA kitchen fitted. But there is a very distinct difference between the two completed kitchens. I paid £20 (£10 if you have the IKEA Family Card) to have IKEA come out to my house and micro measure everything before it was actually fitted. That revealed that the dishwasher and fridge freezer would have to be swapped around and that one of the corner cupboards would be large enough for an internal carousel for easy access. My neighbour relied on her own measurements and saved £20 but then found that one of her appliances wouldn't fit and would have to be returned and she couldn't actually fit a cupboard where she thought she could .

I paid IKEA to fit the kitchen and install all electrical appliances. As a previous poster said upthread, IKEA kitchens have a service channel down at skirting board level for plumbing pipes and electrical wiring, unlike other kitchens which are at the back of blanked off cupboards. My kitchen was completely installed and ready to use in just over 3 days and I'm very pleased with it. The fitting was very professionally done, it looks perfect.

My neighbour paid a local joiner to build and install her kitchen, saving almost £400 against what I paid. But the difference between the two is very marked: laminate worktops chipped where they join; wall cupboard doors at uneven heights and the joiner struggled to work with IKEA 's measurements so it took 10 days to complete.

I would definitely recommend paying the extra for them to come out to you and micro measure before you proceed so that any unforeseen issues can be resolved before you complete the sale. And I would also recommend that you have IKEA to install and fit your kitchen professionally; they're used to their sizing and appliances and you'll get a more professionally finished kitchen. It's worth the extra money imo.

FlexibleFriend Sun 28-Jul-19 12:59:35

Blimey some so called professionals must be crap at their jobs going by some of the above. I have installed two Ikea kitchens and they are an absolute doddle. Anyone who things otherwise is an idiot. I did my own measurements, I'm good at diy and definitely know how to use a tape measure. My units are still pristine after about 17 years although I replaced the worktops and appliances a couple of years ago, because I wanted a change. I can't comment on their installation a I prefer to do it myself with the help of my son. Their units are flat backed allowing no room for pipework but if a builder can't reroute a few pipes down to ground level he shouldn't be calling himself a builder.

mcem Sun 28-Jul-19 19:36:55

I think Mr paddy's comment is spot on. Although I haven't installed an ikea kitchen I have built many other items.
Lay out components, organise and check. Follow exactly the instructions and it all comes together beautifully. I think the option to breenge in and do your own thing is a very pariah and often just doesn't work!

mcem Sun 28-Jul-19 19:38:35

Don't know where "parish" came from!
Should read "a very blokeish" thing!

tidyskatemum Sun 28-Jul-19 19:51:39

Ikea kitchens (well, Ikea anything) always seem too much like hard work to me., but then I find just visiting the store exhausting! We got our kitchen from Howdens. They have a stocktaking sale every autumn with lots of units and appliances greatly reduced. Our fridge/freezer officially cost £29.99! They don’t do retail so you either have to open a trade account or get someone to fit it for you but we had no problems whatsoever and we’re really pleased with the result.

BBbevan Sun 28-Jul-19 21:41:05

We bought an Ikea kitchen for our very large kitchen Absolutely brilliant. Great help in planning . They would have installed for a fee,but we did it ourselves. Easy peasy, and we are both 74. They even had a solid oak top made for our original island.
Excellent long guarantee and insured when in transit and if any problems assembling. We have had it a year now and I am very very pleased with it.

Welshwife Sun 28-Jul-19 22:33:05

I too have an Ikea kitchen and we also put one in the last house we had in U.K. I chose units with drawers in the base units which made storing and finding equipment easy. The kitchen I have in this house has tall kitchen cupboards for a section of wall and they are not so deep but the bottom half of the cupboards are fitted with drawers which pull out and are ideal for storing cooking ingredients and the shelves above for bottles and tins.
We also have experience of Ikea wardrobes which have great storage solutions. I found the taller units gave more choice with internal fittings. We have some of the drawers in the bottom half of our cupboards. The only things I found which were not so good were the metre wide baskets as they slipped off the runners after a while and were a nuisance to put back on.

gransal Sun 28-Jul-19 23:22:45

My ss and his wife have had 2 Ikea kitchens in different houses. One a very small space in their first flat and second in a larger family home. They had Ikea measure and fit the kitchens an they were both very well done. We are in the process (that means dh doing his sums) of doing a kitchen and we will certainly be looking at Ikea. Good luck with your choice.

Su127 Sun 28-Jul-19 23:38:23

IKEA GUARANTEES. I’ve not read every post but thought I would add this. Recently purchased an IKEA kitchen and utility room units, appliances, etc. As it’s a new build my builder purchased. Not charged VAT on the units. Great saving. However, when I asked about the various guarantees IKEA confirmed all belonged to builder and could not be transferred to me. Ludicrous. I looked into this and always got the same answer. He who buys gets the guarantees and they are NOT TRANSFERABLE. This can cause all sorts of problems in future. Surely it can’t be enforced. Kitchen being fitted this week.

Candelle Sun 28-Jul-19 23:49:38

Another vote for an IKEA kitchen here. I took ages choosing which brand to buy and only after quite exhaustive research did I decide on IKEA.

Ten years on our drawer units open and close as if new (my test in particular for longevity) and doors look pretty good too.

We had granite worktops installed by another company.

Much of the cost of a kitchen is in the doors, so ensure you choose something that you like.

Carcasses are made of chipboard and are pretty similar throught all brands.

The only complaint I have which probably is not relevant but perhaps check, just in case, is that shortly after our kitchen was installed, IKEA changed their entire range of carcass sizes. This means that if we wanted to change doors and not the whole kitchen (as I now would!) we can't, as the new range is not compatible with ours. Quite annoying...

IKEA have a brilliant on-line planning tool and also have a few design studios that will do the work for you if you prefer.

A new kitchen, big or small, is a big investment and is worth taking time over to ensure the detail is right

Good luck!

Marmight Mon 29-Jul-19 07:03:18

We had an (very karge) Ikea kitchen fitted 9 years ago by our builders who had no problems doing so. My late husband (architect) designed it along with the Ikea kitchen designer. It had umpteen drawers - so much easier for storage than grovelling into low cupboards - plus high level cupboards, and included 2 full height fridge freezers, oven, microwave oven, warming drawer, induction hob, dishwasher and fan. All this, on an offer and then 10% off the total, came to less than £10,000 which was considerably lower than any other quote we had. It was an amazing kitchen, much admired by friends who couldn't believe it was Ikea! How I miss it now I've downsized. I'm seriously considering refitting my new small kitchen with a mini version!
I'd certainly recommend you go down this route, but get a recommended fitter.

Whiff Mon 29-Jul-19 07:29:26

So glad this thread was started . Hopefully my purchase of my bungalow is complete next week. I have seen a kitchen I like in IKEA. And after reading all the posts I am going to get it. I will get their planner to come and plan it with me and I am intending to have them install it and have their appliances. The kitchen here my late husband put in 30 yrs ago. Think I am well over due for a new one. I'll be able to have a dishwasher. Bliss!

Countrylife Mon 29-Jul-19 13:10:16

Gosh that sounds very concerning. Having read all this we will go with Ikea, I’ve read dreadful things about Howdens hidden pricing structure double invoices one for builder and one to show client and I do not like that one bit.

We will buy it as builder only being paid labour, he likes it that way keeps him under vat threshold so warranty not a problem. Extension so we can’t re-claim vat anyway.

Will think about who fits it though. Normally my husband would but he has been very unwell so will leave that stress to someone else. I find putting ikea furniture together quite therapeutic actually, it’s so well designed.

Local ikea, miles way, are changing their fitters this month so not sure how experienced they will be with the product.

Thanks everyone I love this site and the actual persons experiences.

Countrylife Mon 29-Jul-19 13:11:51

Will look into cabinet sizing excellent point! Ta

Auntieflo Mon 29-Jul-19 13:43:40

Our DD and SIL, has his own company , chose Benchmarx (sp?) units and had them fitted during their kitchen refurb. They are beautiful. Only trouble was, the fitter had health problems and had to give up, and another chap was found to finish the project.

PetterJhon Tue 30-Jul-19 20:55:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroonsback Tue 30-Jul-19 21:49:49

Identical to paddyann ‘s post of Saturday.

What point are you trying to make?

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Aug-19 11:47:26

We have an Ikea kitchen that is two years old now. DH installed it himself. The drawers were a bit of a pain to assemble, but the rest was easy. We bought our oven and hob there too, but the sink and taps were cheaper in a German firm then at Ikea.

It still looks like new. I wipe down the cupboard doors once a week or so with a damp cloth wring out in washing-up liquid.

We haven't got round to the counter top yet, as an Ikea one in the length we need was prohibitively expensive, so DH said he would make it himself.

And I forgot to ask, "When?"

The blessing with Ikea is that if you are reasonably handy you can assemble their units yourself.

P.S. In case you are wondering: the hole in the floor was due to our knocking two rooms into one. DH has filled the gap by now.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Aug-19 11:49:15

Forgot to add, the wire basket type shelves that can be pulled out are a blessing though slightly dearer than just buying shelves.