Gransnet forums

House and home

Walk in baths

(7 Posts)
Ngaio1 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:46:07

I am giving my house a makeover and changing bathroom totally. Whilst still able to clamber out of the bath on my own, it is becoming more difficult and scary.

I thought of a walk in bath and a chappie (who was very pushy) quoted me just over £10,000!!

Has anyone any tips or advice regarding such baths, please? I live on my own and have no one to bounce ideas about.

Thank you.

aggie Thu 01-Aug-19 12:51:14

Right , you walk into an EMPTY bath , try and close the door sit down , turn on the tap ! it is B....y freezing and the water is leaking onto the bathroom floor , try and turn off the tap , can you reach it ?...........Open the door get out and ring the plumber to install a shower smile

wildswan16 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:34:34

I'd go for a walk-in shower that you can have a seat installed in. Much more practical.

Walk-in baths mean when you are finished washing (having already got cold while you are sitting waiting for it to fill) then you have to sit while wet as the water drains out.

The shower will also be better for anybody else using it, or when selling property.

Ngaio1 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:56:54

Thank you both for the replies. It doesn't sound like a good idea, does it?!! I think I shall leave the original bath (for visitors) and buy a walk-in shower instead. I do love my soaky baths but it is a relatively small thing after all.

Franbern Thu 01-Aug-19 16:12:37

There is a bath on the market, that is both a proper bath and a walk-in shower. So, there is a small very water tight door, that remains shut if you are using it as a bath, and can then run the bath, get in, and get out and empty as normal. If you wish to use the shower, then this little door opens so you can just walk into the shower. They also provide a lowering/raising device for using the bath, without having the worries of stepping in and out.
Have seen these on the web, but no idea how much they cost, I imagine quite pricey.

Marmight Thu 01-Aug-19 18:08:51

Duravit E00S is an amazing bath/shower. Google Duravit. Very expensive. I'm trying to persuade myself I need one.

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Aug-19 18:15:54

We are just getting our ensuite changed and taking out the bath and having a large walk-in shower with a seat which claps up into the wall and lots of handrails. We don't need these yet but thought it was a good idea to put them in now.
The main bathroom has a bath for the grandchildren and me occasionally.