Gransnet forums

House and home

Induction hobs

(23 Posts)
Celeste21 Sat 03-Aug-19 10:50:22

Fairly new poster so please forgive me if this has been asked before. I need a new hob and am thinking induction ( always used gas before). Has anyone bought one and regretted it or are they the best thing since sliced bread? Thank you in advance.

Chewbacca Sat 03-Aug-19 10:59:52

I had an induction hob installed 5 weeks ago and so I'm still getting used to it but, so far, it's looking favourable. I've always used a gas hob before but induction is very much cleaner to use than gas. The heat is instantaneous as soon as you put a pan on the hob and the heat stops the instant you remove it so its very controllable. 2 of the rings on my hob have a setting for instant maximum heat and I'm surprised how quickly they bring a kettle of water to the boil.

Cleaning the hob is as easy swiping it over with a damp cloth.

You will need to have pans that can conduct the heat but you can check if yours are by simply seeing if a magnet attracts to the bottom of them. I only had to replace one pan, fortunately.

Nonnie Sat 03-Aug-19 11:36:21

They take a bit of getting used to but DH loves ours and DS has just ordered one.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 11:39:46

I’ve had one for a few years now.

Clean and efficient. Cooking very easily controlled.

Never have a dirty hob to clean, as it switches itself off if it boils over.

Framilode Sat 03-Aug-19 11:43:22

There was one already in our house when we moved in. It is absolutely brilliant, so controlable and quick. Make sure you read the manual thoroughly. I didn't initially and have now found many extra features that I wasn't aware of. I would thoroughly recommend them.

Framilode Sat 03-Aug-19 11:44:19

controllable

yogagran Sat 03-Aug-19 12:23:07

We changed from gas to induction when we moved house and I wish that I'd discovered induction years ago! So much easier to keep clean and so easily controlled. You won't regret it if you make the swap

TwiceAsNice Sat 03-Aug-19 12:38:49

I have had my induction job 2.5 years and I love it! Previously had gas but induction far superior to control and it’s super easy to clean, just wipe over after every use and it is sparkling. Would never use anything else now, can’t recommend highly enough

Coolgran65 Sat 03-Aug-19 12:43:36

I'm on my second induction job and this one is 13 years old. Still looks in great condition. Just a few scratches which are my own fault, dragging a lot instead of lifting it.
Would have nothing else.

dragonfly46 Sat 03-Aug-19 12:44:58

Love mine - had it 9 years. Easy to control and keep clean.

Nannarose Sat 03-Aug-19 12:47:40

I love mine (Miele, big discount for fitting out the whole kitchen)) that I've been using for 7 years now, with no problems at all.
It reacts very fast and has a very good 'booster' function for fast boiling and turns down very low for simmering.
Friends who cook rather less than I do decided on an Ikea about 5 years ago and have found it excellent.

SueDonim Sat 03-Aug-19 13:25:00

I have an induction hob. I'll never go back to gas!

Parsley3 Sat 03-Aug-19 13:59:51

Another fan of the induction hob here. As good as gas but oh so easy to clean.

Kittye Sat 03-Aug-19 14:00:02

Am I right in saying if you have a pacemaker you shouldn’t use an induction hob as it interferes with pacemaker ?

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Aug-19 14:34:59

That’s right, Kittye, don’t use one if you have a pacemaker.
I changed to induction from gas twelve years ago, will never go back to gas. It is so responsive, as good as gas in that respect. A doddle to clean, the kitchen doesn’t get hot, pans heat up quicker. On low settings, the whole of the pan base is heated, unlike gas turned down low to a tiny circle of flame. This makes paella so much easier. The low setting is perfect for melting chocolate without a bain Marie. Rings can be set on timer and will turn themselves off. When frying something that spits, I’ve even placed newspaper on the hob and cooked on top of it.

J52 Sat 03-Aug-19 15:27:06

Brilliant I wouldn’t have anything else. I can echo what everyone else has said, safe and clean.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 15:52:17

My DH has a pacemaker. The hospital told him that he would have to lie in it for it to affect him.

Never any problem, in fact I’d forgotten about it until this thread.

Nonnie Sat 03-Aug-19 15:59:24

Thanks WW2 was wondering what I would have to do if DH ever had one, I would have to start cooking grin

grandtanteJE65 Sat 03-Aug-19 16:34:23

I had always cooked on gas until we moved to an area where gas isn't readily available.

I love our induction hob.

The only slight problem is that you need to make sure that all your pots and pans can be used on induction.

You can test them using an ordinary magnet. If they are attracted by it they will heat up fine on an induction hob.

Read the instructions well, don't just skim them because there are all sorts of nifty functions such as an ordinary timer, a timer that switches off when the food is ready (!) and various child-proofing functions as well.

You can adjust the heat just as easily as on a gas cooker and they are really easy to keep clean. You don't need to use special cleaners. A soft cloth wrung out in washing-up water is usually quite enough, then I dry the hob with a clean tea-towel.

SalsaQueen Sat 03-Aug-19 17:59:22

I've got an induction hob, and I like it. It hasn't got any raised knobs for control, so it can be wiped clean easily.

It switches off is anything boils over, and it cannot be put on accidentally.

Celeste21 Sat 03-Aug-19 18:10:17

Well what an amazing response and really helpful! Thank you all so much. I have decided to go for it and now just need to decide which make to buy. Again thank you ????

LadyGracie Sat 03-Aug-19 19:19:02

I got my induction hob about 3 months ago, I love it! I’d never go back to gas.

BlueSapphire Tue 06-Aug-19 08:18:30

Had mine for three years, love it!