Gransnet forums

House and home

We finally did it - downsizing - no regrets at all

(54 Posts)
cossybabe Sat 03-Aug-19 11:04:16

After 38 years, we finally sold our family home, leaving a very large 5 bedroom house to move into a small 2 bedroom bungalow.

We had to get rid of almost everything and buy new furniture for the bungalow.

I thought I would be upset about seeing it all go, but we have found it so liberating and have no regrets at all.

We are so pleased we have done it - how was your downsizing experience?

Bellasnana Wed 14-Aug-19 05:57:20

Scribbles, you put into words what I was thinking.

There is so much jealousy and mean-spirited comments on GN. Some people just can’t be happy for anyone.

grannyqueenie Wed 14-Aug-19 09:43:09

Well said Scribbles Bellasnana and others who’ve commented on a similar vein. There will always be those who through hard work or just the luck of the draw have more than others do. It’s nothing to boast about and actually most folk don’t, they just feel blessed to be in the position they’re in.

Some of my friends have substantially more materially than I do and some have much less, it’s just how it is. I don’t think there’s any begrudging or mean spirited attitudes between us either way. But maybe I’m just fortunate in who I have in my friendship circle?

TwiceAsNice Wed 14-Aug-19 10:30:20

I downsized from a 3 bed semi which I was renting after a divorce. Marital home 4 bed detached . I left the 4 bed with almost nothing as husband was violent and when I eventually was able to get back into the house I had just a few hours with daughters to salvage what I could . I left loads of stuff we wanted behind as just run out of time .

I refurnished rental house from scratch which cost me thousands . Fast forward 3 years and now live in a 1 bedroom flat very near daughters and grandchildren but because it’s a much more expensive area I couldn’t afford to buy a 2 bed flat and no money left over. It cost more than a 4 bed house would have in Wales.

So very happy, not much money, downsized loads and gave lots of stuff away so everything would fit and it was definitely a “ needs must” move but still see it as positive, just wish I’d been able to put a little money away for the future.