Gransnet forums

House and home

We finally did it - downsizing - no regrets at all

(53 Posts)
tanith Sat 03-Aug-19 11:38:06

Well done both of you, I’m already in a small 2bed house which we downsized to 20 yrs ago but I have no place for ground floor bathroom/toilet so can envisage me moving again now I’m on my own but it’s not easy to find a bungalow (ideal) that I could afford in the suburbs of London, I’ll really miss a garden so want to avoid a flat unless there is a garden it’s not an easy search.

So not sure what the answer is but I have time to figure it out I envy you having found your forever homes.

Day6 Sat 03-Aug-19 11:21:56

Well, we ended up with a lovely house but we have four bedrooms because we do have friends and family come and visit us. It's a better fit for us because one requirement was two sitting rooms (one each for when I need music or to read and he wants his sport) and a cloakroom downstairs big enough to convert to a walk in shower room should the time come when we can no longer manager stairs. We found a lovely, older but modernised detached house which ticked all the boxes - one being a reasonably big garden for OH. We made the mistake of bringing too much with us though as the garage is full to bursting with boxes of oddments which we really should sort out. confused

So, a forever home for us after 36 years for me in my last one, and 20+ years for OH in his old place. We are not very good at being ruthless. I admire you cossybabe, for properly downsizing and starting afresh without the old baggage. It must be liberating.

cossybabe Sat 03-Aug-19 11:04:16

After 38 years, we finally sold our family home, leaving a very large 5 bedroom house to move into a small 2 bedroom bungalow.

We had to get rid of almost everything and buy new furniture for the bungalow.

I thought I would be upset about seeing it all go, but we have found it so liberating and have no regrets at all.

We are so pleased we have done it - how was your downsizing experience?