Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you bath or shower?

(63 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:39:39

Reading the other day about a lady whose husband sometimes took two baths a day got me wondering.

Do people really still take a bath every day?

Here in Denmark no-one would dream of doing so. People shower to save water and to keep their water rates down to an affordable amount.

If you have a bath tub at all, and many people don't as there isn't room in a flat, you bath once in a while as a great luxury.

Am I right in thinking that bathing is still more common than showering in the UK?

sazz1 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:43:57

I absolutely hate the shower always have. In fact as we're hoping to move soonish houses we have looked at either have a bath or have room for a bath or it's a NO.
We don't have a water meter here yet though........

BBbevan Mon 05-Aug-19 14:49:48

We have a shower and a bath in our bathroom. DH and I shower every day. I would like a bath but had a lot of trouble getting out of it,so won't repeat that any time soon

jura2 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:52:11

Shower, every morning. And jakuzzi in the evening- after quick second shower.

FlexibleFriend Mon 05-Aug-19 14:58:41

I shower and haven't had a bath since I was a kid, never liked baths as I always felt faint laying in the bath and don't like the idea of laying in mucky water.

SpringyChicken Mon 05-Aug-19 14:59:40

I hate taking a bath - the time to run it, the water cooling down, fingertips wrinkling, the scum line , the amount of water it uses. We don't own a bath any more. I would guess ~(based on knowledge of our own family and friends) that more people shower in the the uk than bath - but am willing to be proved wrong.

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:06:11

Shower every time. Haven't got the time for a bath plus we are on a water meter!

MissAdventure Mon 05-Aug-19 15:06:50

I bath because I haven't got a shower.
I don't mind either; they both have pros and cons.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 15:10:58

Haven’t had a bath for about 25 years may be more There is one here in the bathroom but I love my morning shower if I go for a dip in the sea or get wet or dirty in the garden I can have another quick one I can’t do all the faffing around waiting for it to fill up etc etc
Love my daily shower

crazyH Mon 05-Aug-19 15:15:10

Shower, any time....

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:16:17

Bath for me. Ours is tiny, so doesn’t use any more water than a shower. Fills in no time. I don’t stay in long, and one day I won’t be able to get out of it any more.
Conversely DH always takes a shower, never a bath.
When we are away, if there is only a shower, I have to work out how it works before I take my glasses off, otherwise I get the controls all wrong.

Day6 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:17:17

I tend to shower every day for quickness but really do enjoy the luxury of a nice soak in the bath, with music playing.

I don't lay in 'mucky water' either. I am not 'mucky' when I get in. I add a few drops of scented oil to the water and luxuriate in it, then wash myself quickly and pull out the plug. We have a jacuzzi bath and you cannot add stuff to the water, so if I have the air jets on, the water pummelling me tends to leave me very clean.

I feel wonderful after a bath, not so much after a shower.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:22:29

I have a shower unit above the bath. I like a bath as it can be relaxing. I try not to put too much water in (barely 6") and I don't like it too hot. After I've washed my hair etc, I like to rinse off in the shower. I grew up with baths and would hate not have one in the house.

maddyone Mon 05-Aug-19 15:26:41

I use bath and/or shower, we have both. I enjoy a shower with some nice shower gel, but equally enjoy a hot bath (especially in winter) with lovely bubble bath. Like Day6 , my bath water isn’t mucky, I shower or bathe every day, usually before bed. I love getting into my lovely, comfortable bed with crisp cotton sheets, when I’m nice and clean. I don’t like the idea of getting into bed with the day’s dirt on me, even if it isn’t very much dirt.

tanith Mon 05-Aug-19 15:45:14

I don’t have a bath anymore just a lovely big walk-in shower which I use every day I don’t enjoy a bath and can’t remember when I last had one.

SalsaQueen Mon 05-Aug-19 15:50:46

I have a shower every morning, and again in the evening, and so does my husband. We've also got a bath, but don't use it more than once a fortnight or so.

shysal Mon 05-Aug-19 15:52:55

I dread the day when I won't be able to get in and out of the bath. I have RA and a soak every morning loosens me up for the day. I wake very early (before 5am) so I spend about an hour reading there to pass the time before my usual walk to get rid of any remaining stiffness. A bath is one of the joys of retirement, I always showered when working.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:54:56

I shower every morning and use the bath occasionally.

Minniemoo Mon 05-Aug-19 15:58:34

I love my bath. Suffering with chronic pain makes it almost a necessity. Epsom salts and a good book. I can lie in there and almost feel normal again.

We do have 2 showers as well which I will use but I have a bath every day.

Nannyxthree Mon 05-Aug-19 16:41:59

OH and I both shower now but I would like the luxury of a soak every now and again if it wasn't such a struggle to get out .

GC love the bath.

Grandad1943 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:52:13

We have both a Shower room and separate bathroom. I have not used the bath in the 43 years we have lived in this house. My wife also normally takes a shower, but will "now and again" have a bath.

I believe (but I could be wrong) that taking a bath is more of a women thing, whereas men, in the main, always have a shower.

Willow500 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:56:37

Very occasionally I will have a bath especially in the winter but use the shower every day - can't wash my hair in the bath. Husband showers first thing on a morning - don't think he's had a bath in years as he would struggle to get out.

Mapleleaf Mon 05-Aug-19 16:58:37

Most of the time, it's the shower. However, if I'm chilled through or feeling achey, then a soak in the bath is great. I seem to sleep more soundly after a bath, too, but that may just be psychological! ?

Newquay Mon 05-Aug-19 17:00:26

Funnily enough we’re just about to have our bath taken out and replaced with a walk in shower. DH does like a soak at night but it’s become too dangerous for both of us getting out so needs must and all that! End of an era ☹️

SueDonim Mon 05-Aug-19 17:11:52

We have both but I prefer a bath as does dh. I never feel properly clean after a shower, which just whisks a bit of water over your body. I've also been frozen/scalded too many times in showers - that happened last week in a hotel I stayed in! I hate all that temperature adjustment.

There's never any scum in my bath, maybe because we have very soft water. Also, I don't stand and watch the bath fill up, I turn on the water and then do tasks such as cleaning my teeth and putting away clean laundry. The bath is ready by the times I've done those. I live in Scotland, we have an abundance of water here so that's not a concern.