Gransnet forums

House and home

Wedding China, what have you done with yours?

(105 Posts)
daffodil07 Thu 08-Aug-19 15:18:13

When my dh & I married it was at the time when a special China was chosen for ‘best’! It is never used, my dd & ds are certainly not interested & it’s just taking up space in the cabinet. I wonder if GN’s have ideas of what I should do with this beautiful China. It is in excellent condition but needs to go! Please help!

Callistemon Sat 10-Aug-19 15:07:36

It depends on the airline. Some will allow you more than one piece of luggage and will take a box so as long as the china is well-packed and marked 'fragile' it will come through intact.

Gonegirl I think you're very 'on trend' wink
As am I.

Witzend Sun 11-Aug-19 19:52:04

China smashing - how awful! Unless it was already cracked or chipped of course.

We recently attended a wedding where afternoon tea was served after the service - all on pretty, mismatched china from charity shops - and garden flowers were placed all along the tables in charity shop teapots. It was charming and so pretty.

Who else remembers Green Wheat? My folks had a set of this for ages - I always liked it. A sister in law also had a set, and when dd and son in law bought their first house (having been working abroad they had not so much as a teaspoon) they were very glad of all the Green Wheat out of SIL and BiL's loft.
Around 7 years later they're still using quite a bit of it!

rubysong Sun 11-Aug-19 23:36:45

In 1972 (12th August), we had Hornsea saffron as our dinner service etc. We still have all of it and I have bought more recently. It is used sometimes and has become sort of retro trendy recently. A friend has given me a couple of bits recently so I now have quite a lot. I still love it.

BradfordLass72 Mon 12-Aug-19 01:28:01

Witzend I'm glad someone else cringed at that outrageous idea.
When I think of the families who could use all that willfully destroyed china, I could weep.

Unless, as you say, it is already cracked - but do they go through it ALL to make sure, I wonder?