Gransnet forums

House and home

Big senior moment

(58 Posts)
MooM00 Thu 15-Aug-19 23:36:29

Hi everyone, last week I went on holiday with my daughter and 2 grandchildren. Before we set off I did the post code on my sat nav. We where on our way and around 30 minutes into our journey when my daughter said she would use her iPhone as my sat nav was old and she would be able to see where all the traffic jams where on hers, we stopped and I told her the post code she laughed out loud and said I had actually typed into the sat nav her car registration number. Another time on the holiday we where going down to the beach and I said the sand might be a bit dry to make sand castles so it might be best to take 2 bottles of water to wet it. Do you think I am ready for the home. Have any of you said or done anything as bonkers, if so welcome to my world.

annep1 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:39:40

Of course I didn't mean tine
Thought I'd better mention that before the knuckle rapper does!?

annep1 Mon 19-Aug-19 10:53:10

We all make mistakes Aggie. So what?!
Wouldn't waste tine dwelling on things, especially from people you may never meet.?

aggie Mon 19-Aug-19 09:51:30

annep1 I am a sensitive wee soul wink

annep1 Mon 19-Aug-19 09:29:26

"Scarred you for life" Aggie Really?

Yorksherlass I was finking the same thing.

aggie Mon 19-Aug-19 08:57:03

I was new to forums and kindly corrected someones use of their and there , the torrents of scoldings I got scared me off for ages and scarred me for life , I wince at grammar and spellings , but no longer correct anyone , indeed I blush at some of my own missuse of words

BradfordLass72 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:48:55

Speaking of microwaves.

I have the bad habit, repeated many times, of popping something in the microwave (cauliflower, green beans) before a family meal to heat them up - then finding the dish still sitting there, when they've all gone home.

I have a tiny kitchen so it's not always possible to keep everything piping hot at the same time. I now say, 'Remind me there's ........ in the microwave.'

And sometimes they even remember to do so smile

Yorksherlass Mon 19-Aug-19 08:29:38

I fink that who does the critisizing gets off on it with all the feedbak !! Howzat ?

FarNorth Sun 18-Aug-19 23:32:42

I actually think the person doing the criticising is the only one who should feel embarrassed, as it is very bad internet manners to do that.

BradfordLass72 Sun 18-Aug-19 23:19:43

It's not so much the criticising per se^ but doing it so publicly so that it humiliates.

If posters absolutely must pick people up on their English, punctuation etc., then PLEASE do it in a private message.

The rest of us really don't want to witness the sad need to criticise, which is humiliating to the poster as well.

And we're not in school.

TATT Sun 18-Aug-19 14:45:13

Years ago I’d just started in a new post and was making my way round senior staff members to introduce myself and explain my role.
I was shown into the office of one lady and noticed photographs of 2 young boys whilst I was waiting. She arrived and, after introductions, to break the ice, I asked her whether the boys were her grandsons. You can imagine my horror and embarrassment when she informed me that they were her sons!

janeainsworth Sun 18-Aug-19 11:22:07

OldGoatshockshockgringrin
How mortifying grin

Marelli Sun 18-Aug-19 08:01:50

Purpledaffodil - no, it's not just you! ?
Oldgoat - ??!

Purpledaffodil Sun 18-Aug-19 07:28:57

And is it just me who points the car key at the front door of the house to open it??

oldgoat Sun 18-Aug-19 07:21:37

My DSis was chatting to a chap to whom she had just been introduced and called him Mr. Cox.
"Actually" he said "my surname is Dick".

BlueBelle Sun 18-Aug-19 06:17:26

Note to self ....must read other posts before posting I see lots of us use bank cards instead of bus passes
What is it about bath taps barmyoldbat I couldn’t remember which way the hot went off the other day when I was in the shower and the water was getting hotter and hotter as I was turning it more and more on instead of off

BlueBelle Sun 18-Aug-19 06:10:07

Couldn’t work out why my bus pass wouldn’t ping until the driver pointed out I was using my bank card ?

Grandma2213 Sun 18-Aug-19 03:51:20

Making a cup of drinking chocolate I put the tub of chocolate into the microwave and the cup into the cupboard. Luckily I realised as I switched it on or it might have been rather messy!!

Not as bad as my mother though, who took a tube of eye ointment out of the cupboard and squeezed it onto her eye only to discover it was superglue. Luckily for her she missed and it went onto her eyelid and she realised quickly enough to wash it off.

Llamedos13 Sun 18-Aug-19 03:38:03

Gabriella 54 did it again!

Notthecatsmother Sat 17-Aug-19 22:49:26

Some time ago I was trying to get money out of the cash machine using my mobile phone top up card.

FC61 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:48:49

Grandmasue UK I love your one about the stapler mouse ! That really made me giggle ?! Can just see myself doing that ?.

FC61 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:43:18

I don’t know if this is a senior moment but my husband fixed two very clever softly self closing toilet lids in our house but not our holiday flat. So it’s taken me 4 weeks to stop dropping the lid and crashing it !! When I go home I just know I’ll be trying to close the self closing lids! It’s the things I do on autopilot that can go wrong ! Like jabbering away in English, seeing someone looking puzzled, and realising oh woops I’m in Croatia. Wrong language!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 17-Aug-19 18:28:49

I just stood there in the bathroom trying to work out how to let the water out of the basin..

GG54, please stop[criticising others peoples typing, it doesn't do you any favours.

Grammaretto Sat 17-Aug-19 17:41:26

I thought I was being very tactful not asking "when's the baby due?" to a buxom friend who already had a baby of a year.
Well blow me if she wasn't expecting number 2 imminently and was insulted that I had assumed she was fat!
You can't win sometimes.

mollyc Sat 17-Aug-19 17:29:16

MY FRIEND HAD BEEN INVITED TO HER DAUGHTERS'TO MEET DEVON A NEW FRIEND. WHEN DEVON ARRIVED MY FRIEND STOOD UP TO MEET HER SAYING " HELLO DOVER".

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:21:08

I popped my bank card into the ATM, something I do regularly, as there isn't a branch of my bank here, withdrew the amount I needed, took my card and turned away. THEN remembered my cash, fortunately before anyone else had spotted it!

Rather worrying, isn't it?