Gransnet forums

House and home

Big senior moment

(57 Posts)
MooM00 Thu 15-Aug-19 23:36:29

Hi everyone, last week I went on holiday with my daughter and 2 grandchildren. Before we set off I did the post code on my sat nav. We where on our way and around 30 minutes into our journey when my daughter said she would use her iPhone as my sat nav was old and she would be able to see where all the traffic jams where on hers, we stopped and I told her the post code she laughed out loud and said I had actually typed into the sat nav her car registration number. Another time on the holiday we where going down to the beach and I said the sand might be a bit dry to make sand castles so it might be best to take 2 bottles of water to wet it. Do you think I am ready for the home. Have any of you said or done anything as bonkers, if so welcome to my world.

gmarie Fri 16-Aug-19 01:24:34

ALL of us, I'm sure, although I can't recall one right now which I'm sure is part of it, eh? grin Does calling my son by the dog's name count?

BradfordLass72 Fri 16-Aug-19 03:14:42

If I told you how many times I'd made similar gaffes, we'd be here all day.

Yesterday, saying to my friend Tony: tall, handsome, grey haired, very much the gentleman. 'How are you Lass?' duh.

Possibly the very worst thing, many years ago: Going in to a friend's house, seeing a picture of her as a young girl and laughingly asking, 'And who's this little rogue?'
Only to have her say, 'That's my identical twin sister, she died when she was 5.'

How do you cope with a mistake that big?

BlueBelle Fri 16-Aug-19 05:27:04

Worst one was when I asked my hairdresser how her mum was, (I knew she been dead over a year, we talked about it a lot at the time) but it just came out my mouth without me knowing

sodapop Fri 16-Aug-19 08:49:56

BlueBelle grin why does that happen, words emerge involuntarily from my mouth too.

winterwhite Sat 17-Aug-19 09:44:44

Gaffes seem a bit different from the incidents the OP is talking about. I refuse to consider absent-mindedness 'senior moments' - teenagers can be more absentminded than anyone after all.

ChrisCross Sat 17-Aug-19 09:47:32

I have lost count the number of times I get half way up the stairs and can't remember what I am going up there for!

Nanny41 Sat 17-Aug-19 09:51:31

This is a true story, not sure if it was a senior moment, and not mine I am glad to say,I have just heard it, in a Cornish fishing Town, a person went into a shop and asked where the water had gone, when they returned and the tide was out! Now that could possibly be a senior moment!

Notsooldat75 Sat 17-Aug-19 09:53:51

I frequently answer the tv remote control instead of my phone. Also tried dialling out with the remote..............feel very stupid

seacliff Sat 17-Aug-19 09:56:48

It's not just our age - I remember at 17, in my first job, I went to the "counter" to deal with a customer who'd come in with a query.

I took some details, then had to go to the back office to get more info. I said to the customer "can you hold the line please, I'll be back shortly". Then realised what I'd said. I was mortified. Never forgotten it, as I felt so stupid.

Nowadays, I often get my childrens' names mixed up with the cats etc.

lovebooks Sat 17-Aug-19 10:20:50

To a somewhat overweight female acquaintance spotted in a local shop wearing what seemed to me a rather trendy maternity dress: "You look lovely. When is due?" Ouch, ouch and mega-OUCH! It was a long time ago, but I still shudder.

GrandmasueUK Sat 17-Aug-19 10:25:32

I thought I needed new batteries in my wireless mouse the other day - I was actually moving my stapler around. Luckily no-one saw it but I still felt a fool!

janeainsworth Sat 17-Aug-19 10:25:55

I was held up for 10 minutes last week when an elderly gentleman’s credit card was declined twice and neither he nor the checkout lady could understand why.
Then it appeared that he had entered the amount due for his shopping, instead of his PIN??

Dancinggran Sat 17-Aug-19 10:28:07

Away on holiday recently with 3 of my grandchildren we were on a day out. Waiting in traffic I said 'Come on the lights have changed!!!' 12 year old grandaughter looked up and said 'Grandma these cars are parked' Cue hysterical laughter from the other 2, who couldn't wait to tell the story when we came home.

Camelotclub Sat 17-Aug-19 10:38:02

I tried to make a phone call from the Sky remote the other month. (Well, they both have numbers!)

FarNorth Sat 17-Aug-19 10:46:20

BradfordLass72 that was embarrassing but not really a mistake on your part.
How could you have known?

GabriellaG54 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:05:59

MooM00
Tip. It's were not where. Another senior moment... ??

FarNorth Sat 17-Aug-19 11:07:16

Or a spellcheck typo, GG54?

inishowen Sat 17-Aug-19 11:09:34

I was talking to my friend about another woman. I said "she's our age and still has long hair". My friend had long hair at the time and I dont know why that came out of my mouth.

GabriellaG54 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:10:21

My 'bus pass' was declined however the driver told me it was my M&S bank card...similar colouring but really nothing like the same. ??

GabriellaG54 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:14:17

Could be, FarNorth but when I type 'were' on my Samsung it doesn't change to 'where'.
Must be an iPhone. They're rubbish according to 3 of my AC who regret buying them. grin

kircubbin2000 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:24:21

I was telling my friend that Jeffrey Epstein had died. She asked was it a heart attack,no he hanged himself. Immediately remembered her son had done the same.

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 11:46:17

I attempted to scan my bus pass and was surprised when the driver pointed out that it was my senior rail card. He just laughed and saved me the trouble of delving in my bag for the real thing.

crazyH Sat 17-Aug-19 11:59:05

Went into my local bank , and noticed the young teller , who I hadn't seen for some time, and I said - "oh nice to see you, when's the baby due?".....she said, no I'm not pregnant. I wanted the ground to open up ....?

Diane227 Sat 17-Aug-19 12:23:38

Returned the trolley at the supermarket and stood for a minute trying to remember how to get my pound back out of it.
I hope no one was watching.