Gransnet forums

House and home

New mattress

(23 Posts)
kittylester Mon 19-Aug-19 07:11:26

Having discovered that our memory foam mattress is nearly 18 years old (and being old and creaky!) we are starting (!!!) the process of choosing a new one.

We've been very happy with the memory fiam but wonder if there is anything else we should consider.

What do you have and are you happy with it?

tanith Mon 19-Aug-19 07:17:11

I have a 2000 pocket sprung mattress that I’m very happy with so comfy for my arthritic bones. There is no sagging at all I thoroughly recommend it.

Greyduster Mon 19-Aug-19 08:17:46

Pocket springs all the way! We love ours. Can’t get on with memory foam - too warm!

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:20:14

I have a memory foam mattress which I love. Do not forget that some nowadays have to "breathe" before putting it on your bed and this takes a few days.

GagaJo Mon 19-Aug-19 08:50:32

My lovely landlady / friend bought us memory foam mattresses for the flat we rented from her in Spain. They were awful! Maybe in the UK the extra warmth is welcome. In 40 degree blazing Spanish summer, they were terrible. I took to sleeping in the maids room on the old battered bed with an ordinary sprung mattress. So much cooler!

Jane43 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:01:22

We’ve had a Tempur memory foam mattress and the proper base for some years now. We have never found it hot and I do get hot flushes due to the medication I’m on. They are more expensive than the ones you see advertised but I think the cheaper ones may be hot to sleep on. Our son and daughter-in-law recently stayed for the weekend to look after our dog and they slept in our bed and commented how comfortable it is. It was a hit weekend and they didn’t find it hot.

I have seen a Dormeo OctaSpring mattress advertised on one of the shopping channels and it does look good, but everything on these channels always does. I believe there was a free trial offered. It might be worth looking at that.

Jane43 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:02:13

Should be ‘hot weekend’ not ‘hit weekend’.

humptydumpty Tue 20-Aug-19 14:14:15

I bought a Sealy mattress for my DD at age 5 - she's now 26 and it's still going strong, firm and comfortable - and what's even better is it doesn't require turning over!

J52 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:32:40

Slightly off point, Kitty. Do you remember Brabbs bedding shop in Humberstone Gate?
We had a hand made king size mattress, with beautiful traditional blue ticking and tufting, from them 30 years ago. It is as perfect today as it was then.
Shame they no longer exist.

kittylester Tue 20-Aug-19 14:44:27

Oooh, I do, ,j52. It is a shame they dont exist or I might not have to ask in gn. grin

HildaW Tue 20-Aug-19 15:31:37

We have just been mattress shopping and the only advice I can give is find a reputable dealer who carries a good selection of the different types and go and have a good lie around. Its the only way to really find the combination that suits. 10 years ago we found a lovely one in M&S when they had a lovely furniture only store where you could spend a good while trying out all the different types. Now its all on line and although they will track down any that you are interested in and tell you where you can find them, how can you then compare one with another? All a bit daft. Any way we have chosen a sprung one with several layers including a natural fibre topper. This combination of firm sprung base with an indulgent top that lets me feel really cushioned yet supported suits me (and my slightly dodgy back). Once again I tried the Tempur types but still do not like the deadening feeling it gives me........but that's just me.

Joanmodnooa Wed 21-Aug-19 10:00:33

How much are you spending? £1000? £2000???

I would avoid getting a pocket sprung mattress. You will sink into it and moving around while your sleeping will be difficult. I had bought one for my dad, he hated it, he is disabled and it was not comfortable

I would go for the pocket sprung orthopaedic type ones.

If you can really afford to spend some money, then look at Homylink : homylink.co.uk/pages/pocket-sprung-mattress

www.jhnlewis.com/Shop+by+Brand/Vi-Spring/Mattresses/Mattresses+/21428/ProductCategory.aspx

www.furiturevillage.co.uk/Inventory/Bedroom/Vi-Spring-Regal-Superb/7-215cm-zip-divan.aspx

I'll be buying one of those once I get my house....which will be never..lol

Go into more than one bed store and check them out. I found the people at John Lewis very helpful.

Good luck

ps. a bit of hard work, that should never put you off...lol

Davidhs Wed 21-Aug-19 10:13:20

The bed factory was featured on TV last night and what went into it surprised me, I did google the company afterwards and that particular mattress was top of the range and priced at £3500 - after discount of course.
More down to earth £1000 will get a good large double mattress but the only way to tell for sure is to try lots and see what suits

Happiyogi Wed 21-Aug-19 10:25:40

Interesting, Davidhs. I saw the programme last night too. The detail of the component parts and complicated work to assemble the mattresses was fascinating. I suspected that they were high end ones. Obviously not all mattresses are created equal!

PamelaJ1 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:27:04

The Hypnos beds that the premier inn use are available at various retailers. They are very comfortable. I think we may be tempted next time but at the moment our tempur is still sooo comfy after 12 years. We only have the mattress, it’s on a wooden slatted bed frame.

Squiffy Wed 21-Aug-19 11:32:19

Pamela I've been contemplating getting one of those. They seem very good when you read about them.

Callistemon Wed 21-Aug-19 11:59:12

Davidhs I saw that too, it was fascinating.

Ours has a layer of wool and silk but was nowhere near that price. We chose one which was medium to firm but not, we thought, too firm but I wish we'd chosen one a bit firmer.
However, I have got used to it now.
The bed is one with drawers so the base is solid.

mosaicwarts Wed 21-Aug-19 13:14:14

My daughter did some research on line and chose an OTTY mattress with a cool gel top. It came rolled, in a box, and she thinks it's helped her shoulder pain. Unfortunately, because of the gel top, she can't use an electric blanket now which is essential in this winter freezer of a house!

Nellie098 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:24:45

I bought a new bed earlier this year and went to several stores before making a decision. Guess I must have rested on about 20 different beds and they were all so different. In the end I bought a sprung mattress and they do tend to sag in the middle so go for a firmer one if that is what you choose.
and Mosaicwarts, your daughter should try rolling up a hand towel and putting this along the bottom edge of the pillow. I saw this on a help site for backs/shoulders and it has definitely stopped the pain I used to wake up with in my neck/shoulder

dragonfly46 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:30:04

My DD bought a mattress online - one of those in a box. You can try them for a few weeks before you buy. I think they bought the 4th one they tried.

lippyqueen Wed 21-Aug-19 14:49:17

We have just had a new Tempur mattress and base. It is lovely and comfortable and not hot at all. I am very achy and it has helped.
This was a replacement for a Harrison bed which we only had for less than 6 months that developed 2 dips in it and was faulty so Harrison allowed us to have a replacement. We were recommended to the Tempur bed and so far good.

lippyqueen Wed 21-Aug-19 14:50:17

Forgot to say Tempur memory foam!

MOLIY Fri 23-Aug-19 09:38:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.