Gransnet forums

House and home

Taste or follow convention?

(64 Posts)
Silverg Sat 31-Aug-19 21:56:19

If we don’t totally agree with current decor trends (neutral/beige walls & carpets, smooth walls, completely white kitchen & bathrooms), do we follow our own taste or comply to convention? Discuss

Sara65 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:58:25

Always follow you’re own taste.

Calendargirl Sat 31-Aug-19 21:59:26

Do what suits you. I suppose if ever you want to sell your property, it might not appeal to some if your tastes are different to current fashion, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Sara65 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:04:12

You have to live in it Silverg, I agree with Calendargirl, if you’re thinking of selling, you may what to tone it down, but if not, just go for it!

GagaJo Sat 31-Aug-19 22:09:14

Own taste. But neutral to sell.

M0nica Sat 31-Aug-19 22:41:03

No house, no matter what its decor, even if it is neutral, is going to appeal to every buyer when you sell. So do your own thing, Be happy in your home and when you come to sell, sell a happy home.

FarNorth Sat 31-Aug-19 22:45:59

I was painting rooms in our new home. My mother warned me not to use colours that were very bright in case we wanted to sell it.
I told her I wasn't going to make colour choices based on what some hypothetical stranger might like.
So that's my advice.
(We are still in the same house, 38 years later.)

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 22:53:14

What everyone else says.
If painting/wallpapering whole house, and you think you may move in a few years, probably better to go for pale colours, but otherwise have anything you like.
I really dislike the fashion for everything grey and would never have it.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Aug-19 23:00:23

I couldn't be bothered to find out what the latest 'trend' is, and decorate accordingly.
How boring (and expensive!)

Summerlove Sat 31-Aug-19 23:00:55

Follow your own taste. Unless you are selling. Then go neutral.

BradfordLass72 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:30:08

I have never had conventional taste, nor the mindset to follow anyone else's.

I would not dream of even asking a question like this but before you leap at me with jewelled daggers, I understand it was to spur discussion.

Predictably, there will be those who go with the latest trend
and if you have a large bank balance and can't think for yourself, that's fine.

And those who choose to buck that trend and have their homes decorated in the way which makes them feel comfortable - be it Gothic, Gaudy or Garage.

Unfortunately (or maybe not) I am a tenant in a home owned by a charity (think alms houses) and they decide on the decor, which make it academic as far as I'm concerned.

I have my own paintings on the walls and that's about as unconventional as I can be these days.

And no, they are not all nude pictures of ex-lovers. grin

You've been listening to gossip!

Eloethan Sun 01-Sep-19 00:37:42

There's not much point in decorating and furnishing your home in the current style if you don't like it. Your home should be for you to feel comfortable in - not a showpiece for other people.

Having said that, if I wanted to sell a property I would steer clear of brash colour schemes and remove clutter.

Pantglas1 Sun 01-Sep-19 04:07:46

Wow BradfordLass72! Tell us more about these pictures......!

I agree with most on this thread that you decorate to your own taste - I couldn’t enjoy my own home otherwise. One of the tv programmes I understood the least was Changing Rooms. How people could let someone else dictate how they lived was beyond my comprehension.

Coolgran65 Sun 01-Sep-19 04:26:46

We are considering new kitchen cupboard doors and have looked in several showrooms. At least half of what is available is in varying shades of grey. I do like the grey but would never get it simply because it is so popular and I like something a bit different. Though it isn't easy to find something more unique without a bigger budget.

It probably won't be long until the current fashion for grey changes as it has been about now for several years.

Katyj Sun 01-Sep-19 06:37:24

Have what you want and like.We've just moved house and had most things changed decorated etc.When we went to choose things, we were limited to fashion colours especially the carpet shop, even the salesman said you can have grey grey or grey lol.Good job we like neutrals, but I have got splashes of colour .

kittylester Sun 01-Sep-19 07:29:10

Exactly what monica said.

I wouldn't even consider thinking about what anyone else might do.

Willow500 Sun 01-Sep-19 07:40:30

Definitely what suits you best. However having lived for several years with black wallpaper with huge flowers on it which looked lovely in real life but pretty 'in your face' on photos we've just redecorated with something a bit more subtle as we will be selling at some point in the not too distant future. The trends come and go - I remember when all I wanted was a coloured bathroom suite then couldn't wait to go back to white some years later!

There's a FB group for people who love to decorate and there are so many different styles and houses around the world - what suits one would be a nightmare to another. Just do your own thing smile

sodapop Sun 01-Sep-19 07:48:24

Yes what it is it with grey at the moment, everywhere you look home furnishings, tiles etc are all grey.
Do your own thing Silverg but anything too radical can be wearing after a while. It's your home enjoy it.

Buffybee Sun 01-Sep-19 08:24:52

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted and as my Son is a property developer asked for his advise.
As my kitchen is quite large, I would never have chosen the white gloss cabinets and doors, with white brick tiles, dark wood counter top and natural stone floor but I went with it.
It looks absolutely stunning and stylish, I'm thrilled.

watermeadow Sun 01-Sep-19 19:25:30

I’m about to have my whole house painted white inside. The painter is delighted as it will be quicker to do.

fizzers Sun 01-Sep-19 19:29:35

Go by what you like, what your own preferences are, don't be dictated to by trends and fads of the moment

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Sep-19 19:36:57

Does that mean that some of them are naked pictures of ex lovers Bradfordlass?grin

All but 3 feature walls in 3 different rooms in our house are white. Do want you like; you're the one who'll be living there.

GagaJo Sun 01-Sep-19 20:02:33

I've loved all white since I had it forced on me about 30 years ago in a tied house. My home now is all white and looked amazingly minimalist when I did it up (all myself, including plastering and finishing floors) 10 years ago. It was so tranquil and soothing after a days manic teaching.

Now though, it's been damaged by tenants (when I lived abroad) and has been filled with daughter and grandson clutter.

Grandson makes up for it all though.

Squiffy Sun 01-Sep-19 20:15:12

Grey is the new magnolia!

petra Sun 01-Sep-19 20:15:47

My last home was all white, I loved it.
I had to compromise ? with this one.