Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower cabins or pods

(6 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 05-Sep-19 20:05:46

Sadly it would seem that in the near future we will have to replace our shower tray, shower panel and door in our 'small' ensuite shower room.

This afternoon whilst I costing the above items via the internet, I came across shower cabins/pods.

No idea this is what they were called, hmm but in the past have seen a few on display in various DIY stores.

I had never considered having one as they remind me somewhat of caravan showers.

However the ones advertised online had a more modern vibe and looked quite modular iyswim.
They are no longer made from just white plastic.
Some include (coloured) lights and extractor fans.

Does anyone on GN have a shower cabin or are considering installing one?

midgey Thu 05-Sep-19 20:06:58

A long time ago at school we had one, known as the ‘thunderbox’.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Sep-19 21:35:41

We considered one when we had our bathroom refitted but our plumber said he hated them. If your walls are in the least bit out of plumb everything is difficult.

Our house is old so we didn’t want to take the chance. Instead we had a very large shower tray fitted with a part glass screen which makes access very easy.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 21:50:15

I once rented an apartment where the shower walls were vinyl flooring...well sealed of course.
The builder/owner said he replaced all the showers this way, only buying the trays new.

TammyMowry Mon 07-Oct-19 10:05:24

I also have vinyl flooring in my bathroom. It is very comfortable and I have installed shower cabin in my bathroom too as I had enough space for that.

Willow500 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:36:32

I really wanted one of the shower pods when we updated our leaking shower but both the shop owner and the plumber advised against them as they often leak and once in are impossible to repair. Shame as they look lovely - we ended up just replacing the double shower tray and doors then panelling the walls over the existing tiling.