Gransnet forums

House and home

Downsizing

(10 Posts)
Butweam1952 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:24:43

I have decided to downsize. My husband passed away early last year and I’m am finding the upkeep of the house just too much. I have started clearing out and have empty drawers and wardrobes now. Going to start attacking the double garage this week! Thing is I’m 66 and don’t know what to downsize too. I do not like gardening, nor did my husband but he did do it bless him, so I know I want a very small garden. How have other gransnetters found life after downsizing and has anyone any tips/words of wisdom or device for me. My present house has 4 bedrooms, study separate dining room and garage. I need some spare bedrooms as my son and family presently live abroad and need to stay when they come on holiday. Thanks in advance.

Shinyredcar Tue 10-Sep-19 17:06:53

Is the upkeep of the house too much in physical terms or financially, Butweam?

And do you really want a garden at all? Would an apartment with access to a communal garden to sit in, be OK? If you don't enjoy gardening, it can be a real downer, feeling that you have to get out and deal with things. Of course, if there is a small courtyard and you can plant containers, you may enjoy that. People enjoy watching birds and insects. Do you?

I think you need to decide first where (geographically) you want to live. Will you stay close to your present home, and friends? If so, what is available in the area, realistically?

You are young and if your health is good, this doesn't have to be planned as your last move. That allows you more freedom to experiment. You could, for instance, sell up and rent somewhere in a new area, or try a different size.

If you are finding the financial upkeep a challenge, now you only have one income, consider a new home which will be comfortable for you, but not have space for the family to visit. You could pay for them to stay somewhere when they do visit. That is much cheaper than having two extra bedrooms to buy and pay Council Tax on, for only a small amount of occupancy each year.

I have been steadily downsizing for 40 years, from 10 bedrooms to 1. Never regretted a downward move. I would say, don't rush.

Keep up the clearing out, that has to be done and gives you an idea of what you can't live without and need to have room for. Some people have masses of kitchen equipment, I have books.
Well done for making a start.

Lots of people on here have experience of this and there are threads which are worth reading to see what their experience has been.

If you are still working, and intend to keep on, that will influence what you do. If you are about to retire, then this will be your time to experiment and follow your dreams. Do work out the finances carefully, though. It would be heartbreaking to find that you couldn't afford to stay where you have just chosen to be.

Good luck!

BBbevan Tue 10-Sep-19 18:51:15

What an excellent, articulate and well thought out postShinyredcar

HildaW Tue 10-Sep-19 20:02:32

On a recent holiday we had several 'Downsizing' conversations and you soon realise there are many solutions depending on people's needs. We did the basic smaller house, smaller low maintenance garden and a village shop and community to join with good links to nearby large city. Some have done similar whilst some have gone the apartment/flat route and found it really suited them. Its really very personal and you really need to work out what you want....not what others think you want.

Fiachna50 Tue 10-Sep-19 20:41:31

Very good advice on here and on other threads. Certainly check out things like public transport, doctors,hospitals,shops etc. Always be prepared for the day you may not be able to drive. So many folks move to rural areas only to find that they are trapped when they are no longer able to drive. As for the choice of home, that is an individual thing.

M0nica Tue 10-Sep-19 21:52:33

If you are moving to another town or region, make sure that there are opportunities to do the things you enjoy. If, for example, you enjoy going to U3A, make sure there is a branch in your new location.

craftyone Wed 11-Sep-19 13:25:01

I was 67 when my husband died 4 years ago and also lived in a 4 bed house with snug, study and equivalent to a double garage. I stayed there in the small village for 3 years and only then decided I needed to move. Firstly it was house maintenance, there was a lot of wood outside, it was an eco house and a garden that was in tiers and I was getting older. There were no shops within walking distance and scarce buses not going more than 4 miles

My clearing out had finished but my many hobbies were ongoing. You say that you are not interested in gardening OP but a communal garden may not give you what you might like ie a private space within greenery, to just sit. Making a small garden is very satisfying, takes the mind out of youself, like a meditation

I have gone to a small, very friendly, market town and to a new build 4 bed house. It is considerably smaller but I don`t feel hemmed in and it is oh so easy to clean. All this spare time, now the garden is done, will enable me to join some of the many available local groups.

Location is key, get out and about and chat to people in tea shops and so on. I found my new area that way, it is only 12 miles from my last home. I found an area within the market town so no fields immediately around me to be developed. See if there is a local U3A too, its a good springboard to making new friends. I would try and get a new build but a small development built by a small builder with his own workforec

I am sorry for your loss and you are wise to be thinking of moving while you are able

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:04:13

My condolences on the loss of your husband. I am full of admiration for your spirit in getting on with downsizing and moving.

Like you I do not enjoy gardening, so I would suggest that you look for a house or flat that either does not have a garden or has one that has been made easy to keep tidy, by having gravel or flagstones put down and only a few beds, preferably boxes at a level that does not entail bending or kneeling, or big plant pots instead of beds.

Perhaps too you should give some thought to whether paying for an extra bedroom or two to accommodate your son and his family once a year or so, really is wise. Doing so will mean a house about the size of your present one.

It might make more sense to find a small property near a good motel, hotel or camp-site with cottages to rent where the family could stay while visiting. If your home was smaller and not so expensive, you might then be able to help them out with accommodation costs if necessary.

GillT57 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:13:40

Although keeping spare bedrooms for family may seem a luxury, it is nice to have the spare room for friends, for hobbies, just to swing the proverbial cat! I agree with other's comments regarding access to shops, activities etc., and although I am not a huge fan of heavy gardening such as digging, mowing, cutting hedges, it is lovely to have a bit of space to step out into, to hang washing out, to sit out and have a cup of tea or glass of wine, and it could be a paved courtyard garden with pots and raised beds. Maybe a small modern house? Easy to maintain, cheap to heat, new kitchen and bathroom. Plenty of people on here to advise, many have made such a move already.

Butweam1952 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:51:38

Thanks for all the useful comments. Lots of great suggestions. I think a small modern house is a good idea. I would like a small garden probably with a bit of artificial lawn. I want to stay in the same area, and they are building around here.