Gransnet forums

House and home

Best kitchen colour for a contemporary home

(32 Posts)
IsabelleFreeman Tue 01-Oct-19 03:42:38

What’s the best kitchen colour for a home with a contemporary design? We’re renovating our kitchen a few weeks from now, and we’re getting help from this bespoke kitchens Essex based professional. But we still can’t decide on the best colour to use! Can you please give us some good recommendations? Thanks!

BBbevan Tue 01-Oct-19 03:54:55

We have a large, very light bright kitchen All cupboards are white. We have painted the walls a deep purple. Littlegreene Thai Sapphire. Looks tremendous. We are trying to be brave and ditch the grey,white or Magnolia

Katyj Tue 01-Oct-19 06:22:55

Hi we've just fitted a small square kitchen out in what's called winchester blue.It's a bluey greeny grey, changes colour with the light and I love it. We put grey worktops and tiles and a pale grey laminate floor . There doesn't seem to be much choice in colours when you look. My second choice would have been white, then you could change the colour of the walls and accessories if you became bored with the same look.

Katyj Tue 01-Oct-19 06:23:30

Bluey

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 07:52:04

BBevan

That’s the exact colour I’m about to use in our kitchen, but I’m having all the wooden units painted in it, and the big larder cupboard in lime green!

Happy to hear a recommendation from someone who has used it.

Lisagran Tue 01-Oct-19 08:22:40

It must depend on lots of factors - the amount of light in the room at different times of day, the colours you like, the decor of the adjoining rooms, etc? Can the professional helping you show you the room in different colours on a computer?

lemongrove Tue 01-Oct-19 10:32:50

Do you mean the colour of the units or the walls Isabelle?
As Lisagran says, a lot depends on size of kitchen and light etc.
We have pale cream Shaker style for the units and a sage colour for the walls which works well for an East facing kitchen.
A friend has greeny grey units and a deep cream on the walls
(Ivory) and another friend has shiny white units and cobalt blue walls, all lovely.

paddyann Tue 01-Oct-19 11:59:02

I have a almost midnight blue for units and pale grey tiles .our room has a lot of light and it works very well ,I swap up the accessories now and again with red towels or acid green and just now its bright yellow.My kettle and toaster are the only items on the worktops and they are white

Davida1968 Tue 01-Oct-19 12:04:26

Creamy shades and light wood cupboards for me! I must have light, so I can't bear the modern trend for black/grey kitchen. (So gloomy!) I think am rather old fashioned.....

ninathenana Tue 01-Oct-19 13:21:49

Light wood units, dark mottled effect worktops and dark grey tiled floor. Walls are a sea bluey/green colour.
BBevan I love the sound of your kitchen, purple is my favourite colour and I have it in my bedroom. Kitchen is north facing and 12'x10' so it wouldn't work.

Ellianne Tue 01-Oct-19 13:28:27

Well, Isabelle, an Essex designer kitchen will certainly be contemporary and up to the minute! (no offence meant, our family live there!)
Personally white always looks nice, but lately I've seen some nice greys and dusky blues. A friend has black, it looks like a tunnel.

SueDonim Tue 01-Oct-19 13:40:04

I've got Shaker-style cream units and yellow walls in my north and west-facing kitchen.

I don't like the current fad for grey - in Scotland you can't tell where the walls end and the sky begins! grin

SirChenjin Tue 01-Oct-19 14:01:22

We have cream gloss units, cream floor tiles, light oak worktops and furniture, copper accessories and light fittings and a light grey on the walls. It’s a big space but quite dark thanks to the woodland we back onto but the cream and light grey really lighten it up.

TammyMowry Sat 12-Oct-19 06:11:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB Sat 12-Oct-19 07:23:08

Reported but would it also sound unfair to also comment that I hate the sound of a royal blue kitchen?

Davidhs Sat 12-Oct-19 08:03:53

One of my Nephews has just built a super new house, his wife chose white everything with slate blue cupboard fronts very modern and minimalist. It’s lovely but when the sun shines on those white sparkly worktops it kind of hits you.!

Jane10 Sat 12-Oct-19 10:39:12

Forget what's an 'in' colour. What colours do you actually like? You're going to be living with it after all. Fashions change all the time and you won't want a 'dated' kitchen in 5 years.

paddyann Sat 12-Oct-19 11:47:14

not at all MawB as you dont have to live with it thats fine.It has been much admired though and since we did ours I've seen many versions on adverts and in TV programmes .It is a very large very bright kitchen and the light bounces off the glossy units .

SirChenjin Sat 12-Oct-19 11:52:24

I love the dark blue units that are en vogue and would have had them in our kitchen but as it’s quite a dark room I went for a light colour instead. Don’t be guided by what’s in fashion if it doesn’t work for your room.

Madgran77 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:48:19

Teal paint and tiles with cream cupboards and speckled cream/grey work tops ...makes for light airy and restful

MawB Sat 12-Oct-19 17:20:46

Paddyann my comment about royal blue units and counters (?) was nothing to do with your midnight blue units which sound lovely, but in reply to the deleted comment which was not only blatant advertising but a colour scheme which struck me as having too much blue ((and a bright one at that)
I hope that is clear. flowers

MawB Sat 12-Oct-19 17:58:22

For what it is worth, this was the sentence in question
We have recently completed our kitchen renovation and done in a royal blue shades of the cabinets and countertops

M0nica Sat 12-Oct-19 18:11:40

Buy some house magazines whose styler matches yours and look at the pictures and articles within or go online and look at houses on pinterest.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 18:40:01

It doesn't have to be just one colour. Our kitchen has pale oak worktops and units (real wood) with a sage green wall, a white wall and two pale yellow (buttermilk) walls. The floor is a pale greyish wood tone. The fridge is bright turquoise. It all goes together really well!

paddyann Sat 12-Oct-19 18:47:53

sorry I didn't see that post so thought it was my blue ,my worktops are very pale grey marble