Gransnet forums

House and home

We need a new duvet. Should I be eco friendly?

(23 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 01-Oct-19 16:50:00

I didn’t realise that it would be so hard ?

We have a down one at the moment but it’s very much past it’s best.
I thought that I would get one that I could wash but when I began to look I got more and more confused.
I’m quite keen on saving the world so now am wondering if a wool or silk one would be more eco friendly than manmade fibres.
Has anyone got either of these and if so, would you recommend them.

craftyone Tue 01-Oct-19 16:54:54

wool. It has wonderful at temperature control and will wash in the washing machine. Sheep always need to be sheared so really wool is a bi-product and from personal experience is much lighter and better than silk

Septimia Tue 01-Oct-19 18:19:20

Yes, I've been looking at wool ones. I recently bought a wool mattress cover and I'm very satisfied with it.

Certainly at least some of the wool duvets have been treated so that they can be washed, so it's worth checking that you buy one that can.

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 18:43:01

Yes, we need to replace our duvet and I was thinking about a wool duvet. A friend has one and loves it.

DD has bought wool-filled pillows. She is allergic to feathers, but wanted a natural pillow filling. She has had them several years and is very happy with them.

phoenix Tue 01-Oct-19 18:46:20

We have a silk one, not sure about how the silk worms were treated, but hoping that they were well looked after.

Grammaretto Tue 01-Oct-19 19:00:21

I would love wool but we are plagued with moths. small DGD even said I don't like those butterflies

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 19:09:29

Hungarian down from John Lewis. Cruelty free, light and cosy. Bit expensive but try to make sure this is the last you buy.

Would recommend various togs - 2.5 4.5, and 10. Fasten them together with tight rubber bands tied round the corners when you need to add more tog.

Yes, the covers are a bit crackly, but you soon get used to it.

AnnS1 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:11:31

Just bought a wool one from baavet. They have a bargain section, just very slight faults.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 19:11:32

the best IMO

SirChenjin Tue 01-Oct-19 19:18:35

Watching with interest as I’ve been thinking of switching to wool.

If you are buying a goose feather duvet please think about getting ethically sourced down - some companies pluck the feathers from live birds, it’s horrific

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 19:20:23

That is why I linked to John Lewis. Obviously.

PamelaJ1 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:35:47

Thanks everyone. I had been thinking I would just get a down one again but the horror stories in the media have put me off.
So it’s Hungarian down or wool.
That’s narrowed the choice. I’ll look at baavet.
Do I need to stock up on moth balls? Hadn’t thought of that downside.

SirChenjin Tue 01-Oct-19 19:50:39

And that’s why I didn’t direct my post at you Gonegirl and specifically said “some companies”. Obviously.

Now back to the OP.

craftyone Tue 01-Oct-19 19:55:09

wool on the bed is in no danger from moths, they like dark places like wardrobes and drawers. For winter I vac pack my wool duvet. Never had moths in my lifetime

I had feather and down once, never again, could not be washed and was so crackly, an expensive one from john lewis. I gave it away

Pantglas2 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:48:09

Bought 10.5 wool one recently and am delighted with it. My husband (who doesn’t sleep very well) swears he’s having the best nights sleep ever with it!

It’s comfortingly heavy, drapes beautifully and there is a slight rustle in the cotton cover which reminds me of Christmas morning when Santa’s been and the full stocking was at my feet!

Also have a very light silk one for summer which is very good as well and I see both of these seeing us out!

Urmstongran Tue 01-Oct-19 22:31:56

Thanks Gonegirl I’ve saved your link to ‘Pocket’ for future ref.
?

Grammaretto Wed 02-Oct-19 20:43:34

I've been reading about the baavet and I think it may be top of my Christmas list! letter to santa

SueDonim Wed 02-Oct-19 20:47:09

I've got a Baavet duvet. I made the mistake of buying a super king size one. That means it's very heavy and I struggle to change the cover. Also, it doesn't snuggle down round you like a normal duvet, I suppose it's more like a blanket, really.

I'm not sure I'd buy another.

Happiyogi Wed 02-Oct-19 21:13:44

Pantglas2, that Christmas morning feeling you describe is officially the best feeling in the world! So nostalgic.

PamelaJ1 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:25:32

My woolen duvet has arrived.
It’s airing at the moment as it’s a bit smelly. The instructions say this is normal. It doesn’t seem very light and airy. I’ve got the super king too Sue but it doesn’t seem that heavy.
There is a utube video showing how to easily put a cover on.
I’ll have a look at it.
Will report in a couple of weeks

SueDonim Mon 14-Oct-19 12:51:01

Did you get the Baavet* one, PamelaJ1? I don't remember mine being smelly.

*It was aaages before I realised 'Baavet' was a play on the word duvet. I was pronouncing it in my head as baa-vet, not baa-vay. blushgrin

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 13:11:27

OMG! Who would have thought of that?! "Baa-vet".

PamelaJ1 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:19:45

No Sue, I didn't. I was going to then I found one made by fogarty’s. It’s one of their seconds.
It’s not really too smelly, just a slight whiff. If they are to be believed it should be OK by tomorrow. Wish I could have hung it out but it’s been a tad wet here.