Gransnet forums

House and home

Counter top ovens or Convector dual use microwaves

(34 Posts)
Franbern Sun 20-Oct-19 16:16:05

Just wondered if anyone used the counter top ovens with grills? Thought those that have holiday homes or caravans may have done so and I would love to have some feedback on them.
When I move into my new flat I am considering getting rid of a large oven. Just myself = hardly ever use it now. I use a halogen oven and my microwave .
These counter top ovens do seem widely varying in price but have been looking at the top end at the Lakeland one for just under £250.
Alternatively, I know my little microwave is rather elderly and may not survive the move, and was wondering about those all singing and dancing microwaves on the market that also grill. How good are these?
Anyone with any information or advice, I would love to hear your comments

midgey Sun 20-Oct-19 16:21:02

Watching with interest, seems mad to heat an oven for four fish fingers!!

Blinko Sun 20-Oct-19 16:25:31

I have a convection/combi microwave oven. I rely on it completely and never in fact use the main oven. That's where I keep my pots and pans.

The combi microwave is a Panasonic and it's brilliant!

MuthaFunka Sun 20-Oct-19 16:49:08

I'm in a similar position in that I have a 4 ring cooker,double oven and grill yet only ever use 2 rings (apart from 1 day in December) at once.
I'm looking at getting a table top 2 ring induction plate plus an all singing microwave and creating more work space in my compact kitchen.

Marydoll Sun 20-Oct-19 20:15:01

Blinko, does your microwave have a grill?
I'm ashamed to say, the reason I am asking is that my microwave has a grill, but I haven't a clue what dishes to use in it for cooking, or even worse blush, how to actually work the grill part.

ayse Sun 20-Oct-19 20:41:01

I have had 3 Panasonic counter top microwave/grill/convection ovens and I use it all the time. It also has combinations to do microwave/grill, convection/microwave etc. I’d recommend them every time and it wouldn’t bother me not to have the large oven. Just a note of caution; to get the best out of it decide what features are important. John Lewis are good for advice but last time I bought one I couldn’t do baked potatoes with micro/oven combination as I bought the wrong one.

They are quite expensive but I would be lost without it now.

Marydoll Sun 20-Oct-19 20:45:42

I'm looking for advice on what to put the food on to cook it.
Surely you can't put a metal plate in it, but a glass dish would crack from the heat of the grill?

I sound like an absolute idiot!!! blush

Sofa Sun 20-Oct-19 20:46:56

I have a Neff combi grill/microwave and it’s great. I use it every day!

Franbern Thu 24-Oct-19 10:44:07

Thanks for all your help and advice. Trying to calm myself down this last few days at end of house moving saga, I have followed up researching(on line) and have definitely decided to go with a combination convector microwave with grill.

Alexa Thu 24-Oct-19 13:43:42

Franbern, I had exactly the same thought as you about counter top ovens. I have used same for nearly twenty years having no full size oven at all, and find the table top ones successful for much more baking and grilling than I'd originally planned. I've had three during that time. You have to be able to tolerate burn marks on the paint around the oven door or you will be buying frequent replacements.

jeanie99 Sun 27-Oct-19 19:57:08

I have a built in combi microwave but I haven't used the oven as I have a built in double oven so no need.
But if I need it I have extra capacity for cooking.
However when I was having our new kitchen installed my old combi microwave came in amazingly useful to do the roasting when I hadn't an oven.
I would have no hesitation in buying a combi instead of the old fashion small oven and grill because you have the addition of a microwave as well.

Tommy16 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:56:37

I've got a panasonic microwave oven grill combination, they're expensive but worth it ,I use mine every day.

Hetty58 Sun 17-Nov-19 11:03:46

I used a little oven in the extension when we rebuilt the kitchen. Now it 'lives' in the garage, where it's brilliant in hot weather when we don't want extra heat in the house. I found it quite adequate for everyday meals, at a convenient height and easier to clean than a big oven.

I also have a convection/grill/microwave that I find handy as an extra oven for big family meals. It is quite annoyingly noisy though, whatever it's doing. I prefer the grill on the little oven as it's adjustable in heat settings.

MiniMoon Sun 17-Nov-19 11:10:51

I've got a microwave with a grill. I'm afraid to say that I've only used it once. I microwave regularly, but since getting my Ninja Foodie, I use that for grilling, and browning.

Floradora9 Sun 17-Nov-19 15:35:33

You can use a metal tray with the grill when it is not on microwave setting . I have a dual microwave which is used as an extra oven more than a microwave but it is handy to have both, one thibg I do not like about it is the heat settings go up in 20s so not possible to cook at 170 degrees must be 160 or 180 it is a Sharp . I also have a small microwave but do not use it as much as I did when they were new and something different.

Franbern Sun 17-Nov-19 17:56:48

Very pleased with my convector/microwave/grill. Have got myself a cookery book for it from Amazon, and so far, have found it great. No place for a full size oven in kitchen. I do also have a halogen oven, and use that for such things as Chicken pieces and Salmon. Slowly, learning to use this new machine. sorted it out as a microwave for my porridge and poached eggs, etc. Did cheese on toast under the grill. This week will be trying Shepherds Pie in the convector part of this machine.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 19:10:28

I wonder why mine blew up. Went off with such a bang.

Franbern Sat 30-Nov-19 17:48:00

Have now actually put away my Halogen Oven. Find that my Samsung Combi microwave/grill/oven can do everything that did. I absolutely love it. Easy and quick to use, so easy to clean, have not yet found anything I am unable to cook. Soon to try making a Victoria Sponge in there -my final test for it.
would recommend it instead of a large oven to anyone living by themselves or even for two people

Franbern Tue 10-Dec-19 09:34:59

Victoria Sponge turned out fine, but had to cook each dish separately. However, they both cooked very quickly, and I used my rather old V. Sponge dishes, which are metal.
I am so delighted with this machine - have purchased a microwave 'toastie' for toasted sandwiches, and was able to make four of these for lunch very quicklylast Sunday,when being visited by family.
This oven is so much easier to keep clean than my old dual oven. Have done roast potatoes in it as well as shepherds pie, pastry based pies, etc. etc.

henetha Tue 10-Dec-19 09:53:52

I too have been thinking about a little table top oven/grill
as it seems uneconomic to use the big oven for one person.
I have a halogen cooker which is very helpful, and a microwave. I imagine the table top cookers are cheaper to run than big ovens? And easier to clean.

Franbern Tue 10-Dec-19 10:29:24

Gonegirl - could be that you had something non-microwaveable in there and had put it on a microwave setting. These ovens do take metal shelves and dishes when on other settings - but, obviously, if being used as a microwave or combination microwave with oven or grill, etc. then can only use microwaveable dishes.
When using it totally as a grill or a normal oven, then use any dishes you prefer.
My one - on oven settings - has all the normal heat range I would find in any large oven.
Highest microwave setting is 900w, with several lower settings.

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:26:37

We have a panasonic combi. love it. We bought few years ago as it was Which recommended. It's so good and useful and easy to use that we bought one for the caravan as well. It's a microwave, oven, and grill.
Only thing I haven't used it for is baking buns, cakes etc. I might try that.

garnet25 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:42:29

I have a Neff Micowave/Ove/ Grill combi.

It works OK but two things about it annoy me.
1) the grill only works with the door shut so I use the grill in the large oven

2) When the oven has been used in Conventional or combi mode it takes forever for the loud cooling fan to stop.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 14:47:35

I rarely use the big oven anymore. Franburn, so glad you are enjoying your new toy ?

Luckygirl Tue 10-Dec-19 15:24:40

I have had a microwave/convection oven combi for years - indeed one wore out and I replaced it. Never use the big oven.