Gransnet forums

House and home

Cordless vacuum for pets.

(16 Posts)
BlueSapphire Tue 22-Oct-19 11:06:21

Asking for recommendations for a good powerful cordless cleaner for cat hair. My current vacuum (a Vax) is struggling with all the fluff and fur, the suction is very poor, especially with the attachments on and appears to be overheating. I would like something powerful but light and I am fed up battling with long flexes on the stairs.

Alima Tue 22-Oct-19 11:12:00

I have never been able to train my pets to use a vacuum. However, my GTech cordless is great for lifting pet hair.

BlueSapphire Tue 22-Oct-19 11:15:14

Now there's an idea Alima! That would brilliant!

blondenana Tue 22-Oct-19 11:15:16

The cordless ones don't seem to have enough room in the cylinder ,i have a vax and I love it,i have Ragdolls and lots of hair I can't see fills the cylinder up very quickly, one of the ones advertised on TV would be no good for me
Maybe just try a new vax, mine is a power nano

FlexibleFriend Tue 22-Oct-19 14:44:56

I have a dyson v10 which copes very well with the hair from 3 Pugs. It needs emptying halfway through my large lounge but carries on until the room is finished once emptied.

MawB Tue 22-Oct-19 14:55:54

Like Alima, Hattie shows no talent for hoovering.
However she dies a mean “puppy prewash programme” when I leave the dishwasher open.

Doodle Wed 23-Oct-19 14:08:37

bluesaphire thank you the snort of laughter I felt at reading your OP and the comments from alima and maw I too instantly pictured some animal wearing an apron running round with a vac ?

Grammaretto Wed 23-Oct-19 15:18:08

If you find one please let us know! I have had countless vacuum cleaners in my lifetime and the best thing for removing cat hairs from the carpet was for 2 of us on hands and knees scraping the carpet with the edge of a knife blade.

My current hoover is a dyson cordless which is at least lightwieght. It calls itself animal but I'm not sure why.

My DD's dog does a mean job of hoovering up crumbs esp highchair related from the kitchen floor if you'd like to borrow her?

Specs Thu 24-Oct-19 19:05:20

Hi, l have a lab, a staffie, a mog and a Siamese.. I have 2 hoovers that I highly recommend for my hairy home. I use a cordless Gtech and a Henry. Brilliant. The gtech has amazing suction and a long charge life. It’s very light and doesn’t exhaust me. The Henry has different qualities but it’s confined by plugs . Recommend using them as complimentary to each other. One upstairs and one downstairs. Love both of them..

sodapop Thu 24-Oct-19 21:32:00

I wish I could get my pets to use any vacuum cleaner cordless or otherwise smile

Gfplux Sat 26-Oct-19 20:32:29

Recharble Electric is the way to go. You don’t need to spend silly money just avoid Dyson.

BlueSapphire Wed 30-Oct-19 07:52:28

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Really wish I could get my two cats trained!
I have taken the plunge and bought a Shark after almost everyone on my Birman Facebook group recommended it. Have only tried it on the downstairs carpets and was amazed by the amount of cat fur it picked up. The real test will come when I do the stairs.

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Nov-19 21:24:07

The Shark has made my 20 odd yr old stair carpet look like new! Removed all cat fur and fluff. Hope it continues to impress.

Alima Fri 01-Nov-19 22:06:33

I love the way your pet Shark has turned up trumps BlueSapphire!

MandyFitz Thu 07-Nov-19 08:41:56

Hi, this thread was so urgent for me 2 months ago, and I discussed it on several other forums
I ended up the best vacuum in my life! I bought Hover linx, read about it here pickadvisor.org/best-vacuum-for-long-hair/
I haven't spent much but it really does the job and I assure you as an owner of 3 cats and a little dog!
I've heard Shark and bissell are also great but they are more expensive

Countrylife Sat 09-Nov-19 08:10:57

Glad I found this thread. Been considering cleaners for a while as we have 2 border collies with longish hair which, makes my house look like a tumbleweed desert. Any I’ve tried in the past have just knotted up requiring scissors or clogged. So I’m going to look up each of those recommended here with cordless in mind. I trip over the damn cord far too easily these days, Thanks.