Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone know to paint dirty garden block wall

(22 Posts)
HettyMaud Sun 03-Nov-19 19:50:32

We have a 40-year-old block garden wall. It's probably never been cleaned and we now would like to paint it. It's really big so to power-wash it would take ages. Does anyone know if there's a paint that would just cover over the dirt? Or is there a paint that could act as an undercoat? Basically we're trying to avoid the power-washing bit. Any DIYers out there?

M0nica Sun 03-Nov-19 19:58:45

Several coats of good external masonry paint, but it will cost a fortune and the painting will take just as long as pressure washing.

Alternatively put some trellis on it and plant climbing shrubs that will climb up and cover it. If you cannot plant them in the ground because a concrete surface goes right up to the wall, place really large planters along the wall and plant in that - but you will need to make sure you keep them well watered in dry spells.

jacq10 Sun 03-Nov-19 20:16:23

When we downsized a few years ago the new property had a 4ft wall down at the bottom of the garden (the garden is terraced on a slope) which seemed to be painted but we were not sure what with. The next summer it looked a bit shabby and it turns out it is just breeze blocks and the previous owner gave it a coat of the paint used to do the garden sheds every year. I did the same and I must say it looks fine - the colour was "Red Cedar" but it is more like a mid brown and as there is a lot foliage around from plants and shrubs it actually looks okay and certainly costs nothing like masonery paint and it goes on very quickly with a large brush.

SpringyChicken Sun 03-Nov-19 20:30:43

Are you certain you want to go down this road? You could be making a rod for your own back. A neighbour painted his back garden concrete walls and now it's an annual job because the dirty/flaking paint looks a lot worse than weathered concrete.

Tangerine Sun 03-Nov-19 22:19:56

Power washing it might be easier and cheaper than painting it.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Nov-19 22:22:15

I'd be inclined to skim over the wall with a couple of coats of masonry paint, then do as someone suggested; grow some climbing plants.

Callistemon Sun 03-Nov-19 22:26:42

We grew climbing plants up one at the front of our house too. We're not sure whose wall it is but it matches none of the houses in the road.

annep1 Sun 03-Nov-19 23:19:19

White masonry paint is what we use on our breezeblock wall but coloured sounds nice, might suggest it to OH. He puts it on with a large roller. Quick job.

Beechnut Mon 04-Nov-19 06:30:16

I did something similar to you jacq10. Painted the blocks with green fence treatment and added plants in front.

craftergran Mon 04-Nov-19 06:56:19

The masonry paint is expensive and it does need re-doing every 2 or 3 years. Our house had a large wall painted white when we moved in, we re-did it with white masonry paint a few times.

A couple of years ago instead of painting it I put blue painted trellis up. Painted a lot of old soup cans various bright colours and put some plants in them. Tied them to the trellis. All the various colours detract from the flaky wall.

Katyj Mon 04-Nov-19 07:07:38

Our new place has walls to 2 sides painted cream, I don't like it at all, of course Dh says it's okay suspect he's trying to get away with not painting it. I would like to paint it a sage green, then put some screening in front, but not until next year when the weather is better.

craftyone Mon 04-Nov-19 07:52:53

give it two sprays of algae cleaner first and later a hose down. If you still want to paint it then a maisonry paint with microseal technology. I did a very big block wall in this, it coats very well and will last for 15 years and shed dirt. Personally I would make sure that the joints are relatively clean too. Yes it will take time and work but the result will be well worth it. Algae coats in autumn and another in early spring and then paint in spring so it has plenty of time to dry

EllanVannin Mon 04-Nov-19 07:58:55

Weathershield would be my brand of masonry paint. In an old house years ago we had a courtyard with high walls which were badly weathered so a good wash/clean down with bleachy water then an application of Weathershield brought it up beautifully. It definitely stood the test of time so I'd recommend it.

shysal Mon 04-Nov-19 09:37:30

Rather than pressure washing you could give a spraying of Wet and Forget to get rid of the grime. However, it takes several weeks of exposure to the elements before you notice the effect. I used it on walls and patio in the spring and they are spotless now.
www.wetandforget.co.uk/?adnetwork=af&affc=e45335e1-5d48-4f96-b765-15b8b631e9f1

Alexa Mon 04-Nov-19 11:46:46

I do like Monica's ideas. I love trellis especially in all sort of unexpected places.

Alexa Mon 04-Nov-19 11:47:59

pS I also agree with SpringyChicken " rod for your own back"

Fennel Mon 04-Nov-19 11:53:03

We had a bare block wall in the barn when we lived in the country. It was directly opposite a lovely open view of mountains, woods etc.
I always wanted to paint a mural on it, reflecting the view, but never got the energy.
I think M0nica's idea is good too.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:35:23

I mentioned above that the wall at the front of our houses seems to belong to no-one and matches none of the houses.

Painting it with masonry paint made it stand out like a sore thumb as the houses are brick.
We thought of having it rendered rather than seeing the concrete blocks but putting up trellis and growing climbing p,ants was a much better solution in that instance.
They do need trimming but only once a year.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:35:57

Climbing plants, not p'ants!

jacq10 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:44:25

HettyMaud - this is my "cheap & cheerful" option. I only do it every two years or so if it needs doing. You have been given a lot of good advice but this one works for me.

jacq10 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:49:30

Sorry - unable to load image just now - will try later!!

JaredWelch Mon 18-Nov-19 06:48:25

It has been so high that you need to wash it. Before painting it need pressure wash.