Gransnet forums

House and home

Lakeland Dry-soon

(17 Posts)
Riversidegirl Wed 06-Nov-19 17:38:41

After problems with my tumble dryer I decided to buy a Lakeland Dry-soon. A friend loves hers; reviews are mainly positive. So far I have tried to dry half-dry towels, and 2 brushed cotton fitted single sheets. The towels would have been better just hanging on an ordinary airer. The sheets after 8 hours are only vaguely dry where they touch the bars. How long should I leave them? Are they safe overnight? Have I made a mistake in buying it?

BlueBelle Wed 06-Nov-19 17:50:17

I bought my daughter a heated airier (not Lakeland) but it was totally useless only dried the bits of cloth that actually touched the bars She reluctantly told me it wasn’t really any good and I sent it back and got my money back the most useless piece of equipment I ve ever bought

Blinko Wed 06-Nov-19 17:50:47

Thanks Heavens! I thought this would be a post about the imminent demise of the Lake District...

Willow500 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:51:39

Does it have a cover? Mine dries a load of washing in a few hours - I tend to put everything on it, put the cover on and switch it on for several hours then unplug it when we go to bed but don't take the cover off it until the next day. Thick bedding obviously will take a while but if you lay it out horizontally over the shelf bars it will dry quicker.

MamaCaz Wed 06-Nov-19 17:53:38

I've never heard of them, but it sounds like it isn't doing what its name implies it should, so I would by asking for my money back if I were you!

BlueBelle Wed 06-Nov-19 17:55:57

No cover with the one I bought

Hetty58 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:59:49

I put everything on an airer in the (small) laundry room and switch on the dehumidifier. It's a large capacity one I've had for 15 years and uses little electricity. Everything is bone dry in a couple of hours!

wildswan16 Wed 06-Nov-19 18:26:21

I just wash last thing in the evening, put it on the airer next to the storage heater and put the dehumidifier on. More or less dry by the morning and all done on cheap rate electricity.

Happiyogi Wed 06-Nov-19 18:33:40

Riversidegirl, I love my DrySoon, but if you aren't happy I'd suggest contacting Lakeland as their customer service is excellent. I'm sure they'll sort you out.

cornergran Wed 06-Nov-19 18:52:18

Our daughter in law uses one and says how helpful it is. She doesn’t have a cover but does put a sheet across the top. Our laundry is low tech. It goes on an airer in a normally heated room and is usually dry the next morning.

craftyone Wed 06-Nov-19 19:28:18

dri soon works ok but where does the moisture go? all around in the room and it settles on windows and walls with potential for damp. A de-humidifier works much better and is much better for the house

Witzend Wed 06-Nov-19 19:51:48

Don't know if it's the same, but several years ago I bought dd a heated airer from Lakeland. With 2 very little ones now she uses it just about every day and finds it very efficient.

Nandalot Wed 06-Nov-19 20:44:11

Yes, as Happiyogi said, contact Lakeland. I feel sure they have a return if not completely satisfied policy.

Riversidegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 13:43:21

I have only tried towels and sheets so far. Will try shirts and pants next!

Hetty58 Thu 07-Nov-19 13:47:13

When you first run a dehumidifier (one of the best things I ever bought) it's truly astonishing how much water it collects from a 'normal' centrally heated house, even without drying washing indoors!

Mapleleaf Thu 07-Nov-19 14:32:15

I’m happy with mine, but I bought the cover to use with it (it’s sold separately), which I think hastens drying. It does not dry clothes ultra quickly, but I set mine for about 8 to 10 hours using the timer and find that most things have dried or iron-able if still a little damp around the edges. I think the thing to remember is not to overcrowd it.

SirChenjin Thu 07-Nov-19 16:13:09

Hetty we’ve been thinking about getting a dehumidifier after reading really good reviews about how quickly they dry clothes. What make/model do you have?