Gransnet forums

House and home

'Rubbing alcohol'

(9 Posts)
Witzend Sat 09-Nov-19 11:22:28

Bought some (removable) stick on plastic hooks, for hanging my knitted Advent Calendar on the back of a painted door. (Just to try it out for now - its huge!).

Instructions on the back are so tiny, had to take to the window to read them!
It says to clean the surface with 'rubbing alcohol', not household cleaners. Well, since I did clean the surface last night with household cleaner, and don't possess any rubbing alcohol, I've just given the area a good going over with gin!

Will that work, do you think?

Beechnut Sat 09-Nov-19 11:25:44

Gin! I’m shocked Witzend didn’t you have anything else ?

Witzend Sat 09-Nov-19 11:39:36

Dhurr, dope that I am I've belatedly twigged that 'rubbing alcohol' = surgical spirit, and we do happen to have some in the bathroom cupboard, so it's had a 2nd going-over with that.

Never mind, it wasn't much gin wasted!

sodapop Sat 09-Nov-19 12:22:09

Witzend what were you thinking, wasting good gin gringrin

EllanVannin Sat 09-Nov-19 12:22:11

I used to soak my rings in an egg-cup of gin. Brought them up a treat.

Teetime Sat 09-Nov-19 13:51:36

I think I will try that - can you drink the gin afterwards?

Katyj Sat 09-Nov-19 15:31:26

We used these for the first time, two weeks ago we hung a multi photo frame up, quite heavy, didn't do any prep as suggested on the packet, as we didn't have any, it's still there as we speak Fingers crossed.

Witzend Tue 12-Nov-19 09:12:53

Hook has worked well - it says up to 900g and we think the AC must be not far off, but it stayed up 'on trial' for over 48 hours.
However I've now got some 'over the door' (no stick, no screws) hooks for when I take it to the Gdcs.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 10:11:13

Yes, gin is good for cleaning rings etc but I wouldn't recommend drinking it afterwards, although perhaps all the germs will be dead!