Gransnet forums

House and home

Bosh smashed to smithereens

(27 Posts)
mokryna Tue 26-Nov-19 20:19:06

Shocked as I have just come home to find the oven's inner glass is smashed to smithereens. I thought I had bought a good make a few years ago, Bosh. I rarely use it as there is no family but just cleaned it over Saturday and had the auto-cleaner on during the night but it didn't need it really. Sunday was fine, that's over 50 hours ago. What ovens would you recommend?

LadyGracie Fri 29-Nov-19 16:44:43

I’ve an AEG freestanding induction stove, I love it, but -

I’ve read of this happening only recently, it’s put me off turning the oven up to self clean.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 16:38:14

Mind you, my old oven blew up but not in such a spectacular fashion.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 16:37:35

New and "all singing all dancing" is not always better.

EllanVannin Fri 29-Nov-19 12:31:58

I've read of this sort of thing happening before.

Yet I've had a faithful old " cheapy " for 13 years, glass oven and it's as tough as old boots. Cleaned, scraped you name it and it's still going strong.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 12:05:41

Oh! I use a Brillo pad on my glass oven door, perhaps I'd better stop now although mine does not have a self clean function.

mokryna just the other day I was reading about someone who put her oven on to self clean and it exploded with glass everywhere the handle blew off too. Luckily she and her little DGD were in another room.
This was a Whirlpool but it does happen to other makes.

I put DS's oven on self clean by mistake when I was trying to cook something; it was not evident that was the self clean action.

fiorentina51 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:13:11

We had the glass cover on the light inside our Neff oven explode one Sunday. Covered the chicken being roasted with shards of glass. ?
The engineer who came to replace it said in 10 years of doing the job, he'd never seen the like of it before.
In some perverse way, I think it made his day.

BradfordLass72 Fri 29-Nov-19 08:36:37

I read that tempered glass, even glass plates and mugs, can explode.

A bit of info herer:

www.lakersglass.com.au/news/exploding-glass-manufacturing-and-installation-issues-regarding-toughened-glass/

watermeadow Thu 28-Nov-19 16:50:16

I had a Bosch dishwasher which only lasted two years and my Bosch cordless vacuum is so badly designed that I could have done better.
It’s disappointing when we buy expensive items from a reputable maker and they let us down.

mokryna Wed 27-Nov-19 11:49:05

Well, I thought it was me being crazy, which I am please (in a sad expensive way for others ) to find out I am not the only one.

Ilovecheese Wed 27-Nov-19 11:29:47

The same thing happened to me, came downstairs in the morning to find glass all over the kitchen floor. It looked like a shower of diamonds! Our cooker is Canon not Bosch. The explanation that the engineer gave was "well it gets hot, and then it goes cold again". Surely that is what a cooker is for? Anyway he didn't say anything about the way it was cleaned, so who knows.

Nortsat46 Wed 27-Nov-19 11:18:19

mokryna, do consider contacting Bosch.
Our Bosch dishwasher conked out and though it was out of guarantee, we had their engineer come and look at it. He couldn’t fix it but they gave us a really good deal on a new one.
We paid about £150 for a new dishwasher worth £400.

I found their customer service to be very good.
Best of luck ?

Missfoodlove Wed 27-Nov-19 09:29:36

www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjPrtruiIrmAhUJuu0KHdSABH8YABACGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASEuRo9GdDLqP5JADui5xBFF_NOw&sig=AOD64_3TwKcAJM1BBLoW2I2hKbtXuv8rLw&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwig4NLuiIrmAhUkUBUIHZIWAtcQ0Qx6BAgREAE
The above link should explain everything.
I have a Lacanche range which is outstanding, cooking however is my passion so the expense is justified.
If I were to have an single oven I would buy a Gaggenau, we have one in our timeshare and it’s excellent.

annodomini Wed 27-Nov-19 08:45:15

I've had a Bosch oven for 12 years and so far it has survived intact. This year I used an oven cleaning company rather than attack the glass window myself. It was well worth the ver reasonable price and I'll use them again.

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Nov-19 08:39:57

Oh, for goodness’ sake! I’ve just followed janea’s link and read:

Scrubbing at glass with something abrasive such as a scourer is tempting, especially if you have stubborn cooking grime to banish. But scouring is best avoided as it introduces microscopic scratches in the glass which can cause it to fail spontaneously some time later.

Guess what I did yesterday, to a glass oven door that hasn’t been cleaned since we bought it four years ago? grin

janeainsworth Wed 27-Nov-19 08:15:42

conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/oven-door-glass-cleaning/

Which? Article on glass oven doors

janeainsworth Wed 27-Nov-19 08:14:05

It’s not an uncommon thing to happen & is due to a small impurity or fault in the glass.
My friend’s Zanussi oven didn’t the same thing & it was only a few weeks old.
I’m sure you can get the glass replaced & wouldn’t replace your oven if you’re otherwise happy with it.

mokryna Wed 27-Nov-19 07:57:53

I have just thought things over and it is quite a lot older than I first thought 15 years so maybe I should buy a new one, Can anyone recommend?

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 22:29:18

Gosh. We've got a Bosch oven too. Had it for 7 years. Never cleaned it. It looks OK.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 22:06:11

When the glass in our washing machine door similarly shattered we were able to get a new glass even though it was not a well known brand, but a supermarket badged machine and also over 5 years old.

SpringyChicken Tue 26-Nov-19 21:41:52

I'd be really surprised if you can't replace the glass.

annep1 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:33:09

You should be able to buy the part. I would try that before replacing.
Google the model number.

mokryna Tue 26-Nov-19 20:57:24

It is five years old so I don't think they will care. I have looked on the web and they say you should be gentle when washing the door ...it wasn't really dirty but maybe I was too rough. I didn't think I had that much strength though [dumbbells]

oldgimmer1 Tue 26-Nov-19 20:35:25

I thought you were talking about your bosh, which is a Welsh vernacular word for sink.

Wash in the bosh, anyone? ( sorry for silly derail) smile

SpringyChicken Tue 26-Nov-19 20:32:03

Have you contacted Bosch to tell them, mokryna? There might have been a flaw in the glass which caused it. I'd try to buy replacement glass if the oven is otherwise ok.

CanadianGran Tue 26-Nov-19 20:24:02

Gosh, lucky it didn't happen while you were at home, there could have been glass flying everywhere.

I would report it to Bosch with the model number. Sorry, no recommendations since I am in Canada and have different models here. Good luck.