Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaning laminate flooring

(8 Posts)
shysal Thu 28-Nov-19 07:35:07

I am looking after a friend's cat and house for a few weeks during her house sale and job move. What cleaning product if any should I use on the laminate floor to get rid of dirty cat footprints for her return at weekends? It always looks shiny, so not sure whether the no-rinse cleaner I use on my floor tiles will not dry cloudy. I don't like to go through her cupboards.

M0nica Thu 28-Nov-19 07:50:26

I would just wipe the laminate over with a damp cloth or mop and do not use any cleaner of any kind.

tanith Thu 28-Nov-19 08:07:21

I can’t imagine anyone minding you opening an under the sink cupboard to find her floor cleaner. You are doing her a massive favour after all. Or just leave her to clean her own floor if you don’t want to do that.

craftyone Thu 28-Nov-19 08:14:41

cloth and water as monica says, if very grubby then add 2 drops of washing up liquid and try and find a microfibre cloth

JackyB Thu 28-Nov-19 08:21:01

Sweep away any gritty bits so as not to scratch, then wipe with just hot water ; water as hot as possible and wring out as as tightly as you can.

The hot water will evaporate quickly and not leave any mess. I have a lovely laminate cleaner which smells of orange. I do the above and add a few drops of that. Wiping over with a dry cloth spoils the shine.

Grannyknot Thu 28-Nov-19 08:24:17

I agree re wipe with a lightly dampened mop (water only) - I also use a spray bottle like the one for ironing and "spritz" water on any stubborn marks.

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Nov-19 08:27:30

Like Tanith I can't imagine she'd object if you peeped in the under sink cupboard. If she doesn't have laminate cleaner I'd just use water with a damp mop.

We have Karndean and were told not to get it wringing wet or it may lift at the joins. I've only ever wiped it over with a damp mop as Jacky says. Water as hot as possible so it evaporates quickly.

shysal Thu 28-Nov-19 09:26:21

Thank you everybody. I have had a peep in the cupboard but couldn't see any cleaner, so tried a small patch with hot water well wrung out from my mop which has a microfibre pad, I think it will be fine.