Gransnet forums

House and home

carpets shedding

(10 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Fri 29-Nov-19 14:20:26

Is is usual for carpets (stairs/landing) to still be shedding nearly a year after fitting? They are good quality, 80% wool twist pile, professionally fitted. I seem to have to empty the vacuum cleaner with all the fluff every time I clean. Anyone else have this experience, I wonder?

QuaintIrene Fri 29-Nov-19 14:29:19

Oh yes. I have had my wool rug for ages and it still sheds. The one I had before, which was exactly the same, one of those very heavy, densely piled ones from China shed for a good while. It lasted 20 years though and I only got rid because it faded. I understand that you shouldn’t vac for a month after a new carpet has been laid..which is easier said than done especially with my cats who also shed constantly.

QuaintIrene Fri 29-Nov-19 16:02:57

Having said that, can you adjust the suction on your vacuum cleaner ? Maybe it is a bit on the harsh side ? I lowered mine. It’s a shark and that stopped too much coming away.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 16:58:22

Yes, my carpets (wool) shedded for ages too, I did wonder whether to get in touch with the firm.
They are fine now

I used to get little piles of fluff under the dining table if everyone had sat there for a meal and scuffed with their feet.

Ilovecheese Fri 29-Nov-19 17:17:08

Same here Callistemon Still getting those little fluff balls after 2 years. We are having the carpets cleaned next week and I am wondering if that will change the shedding.

FlexibleFriend Fri 29-Nov-19 17:47:29

Mine is still shedding after 5 years, that's quite shocking but I've just worked out when it was laid and it's over 5 years ago.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 17:54:20

I daren't look under the dining table

MiniMoon Fri 29-Nov-19 18:51:25

I had a wool carpet laid in my living room when we moved here. Even when it was ready to be replaced, in areas where there wasn't any foot fall I was still vacuuming up loads of fluff.
I think it's usual with wool carpets.

FlooringInstallation Thu 05-Dec-19 05:38:30

Shedding is a normal characteristic with staple yarn cut pile carpets. It will diminish with a few months of routine vacuuming. At the same time, flooring is the foundation of any building construction. Be it for personal or commercial use, the flooring must be strong enough. www.indiapropertyclinic.com/services/flooring-installation-repair

FlexibleFriend Thu 05-Dec-19 12:19:19

FlooringInstallation Maybe you should read what the rest of us actually said, we all know it's normal for wool carpets to shed for a while but I think it should have stopped after 5 years. I won't click on your link as I use local services.