Gransnet forums

House and home

computer chairs

(32 Posts)
Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 11:48:09

I've been using a wooden chair with arms and backrest, upholstered seat.
We used to have a tiled floor, but now carpeted, so it needs to be lifted before moved back. Once again I've tried to push back and the chair toppled over backwards. The backrest has been mended so many times, probably now unmendable.
So I'm looking for a new chair.
Any recommendations? Most I've seen are on wheels, but I think that could be risky for me, with age-related balance problems.

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 17:43:30

We use office mats on our engineered laminate floor to stop the wheels making dents in the floor.

craftyone Mon 16-Dec-19 17:13:52

I lounge on a recliner with a laptop on my knee but I do have a computer chair in my sewing room as I have a desk for my overlocker. The office chair is adjustable in all ways and very comfortable and I took the pullout keboard shelf away. The chair is on castors on laminate and moves too easily, so I put a short pile rug underneath it. I got one with 5 feet and back adjustments. A normal chair was just too low

Jane10 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:01:14

My computer chair was my Grandad's. He taught me to write while sitting on his knee on it. I'm still writing seated on the chair 60+ years later.
I suppose it's a 1920s chair. Semi circular back which is wooden but just right somehow and with a very long/ deep seat. It is so comfortable and suits me very well. Thanks again and for so many happy memories Grandad!

Resurgam123 Thu 12-Dec-19 14:33:04

Fennel its good to have one that is right. Mine is the most comfortable I have had.
I had to buy mine for home use.
On bad back days it is all I can sit in.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 15:51:31

I'm so glad Fennel. We are sharing the same chair (IYSWIM) smile

It was my son who came up with it for me. I wouldn't have thought of going to Ikea for a 'puter chair.

Fennel Tue 10-Dec-19 15:30:40

Thanks again, Gonegirl. We went to IKEA yesterday and I'm now sitting comfortably in my new chair as in your link.
It gives good lower back support, and not expensive. I can spin round and get up and down safely (I hope).
I was amazed by IKEA (Gateshead Metro Centre). I used to go there years ago but it has expanded so much, you could spend the whole day there. And the nights too, many cosy beds.

annep1 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:14:29

We recently got rid of our huge black leather one. It was lovely and accommodated a back massager but very heavy to move and never tipped. Now using a much smaller older one from children's bedroom. It doesn't tip on the thick carpet.

Resurgam123 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:44:14

I bought an office type chair a long time ago.
The back support is really good and sometimes it is all I can easily sit in.
I am short in the legs and this chair is really good.

Charleygirl5 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:30:24

I use my mat on my tiled kitchen floor. I bought it on Amazon but I have recently discovered a lot of stuff is cheaper on eBay but one has to wait a day or two longer for delivery.

Davida1968 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:19:46

We had Ikea office chairs for years, and they were great. (Only passed them on to other people, because a brand-new chair came our way.) Also I can recommend the mats (flagged up by Flexible Friend) for under the chair. Our mat protects the carpet from undue "wear".

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 16:08:38

I agree with squiffy.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 16:08:03

You just can't make this one tip up, even if you tried. (Five feet means it has a foot sticking out in all directions, making for stability)

Fennel Mon 02-Dec-19 15:53:00

That looks ideal, Gonegirl.
I wonder why 5 feet stops it tipping, @*Squiffy*?

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 12:10:10

I can put up a link to mine today. It's excellent and it won't tip up.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/millberget-swivel-chair-bomstad-black-70339413/

Squiffy Mon 02-Dec-19 11:55:50

I've just looked at ours, but can't see the name of the make anywhere (very helpful, sorry!). It has 5 'feet', each with a large castor and moves over the carpet quite easily. It's very important to have the 5 feet as these prevent the chair from tipping over - I've tried and it works!

Craicon Mon 02-Dec-19 11:36:53

Just realised that link won’t work. Try this...

www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro

www.amazon.co.uk/eBean-Tablet-Cushion-SCOTTIE-suitable/dp/B00GAZRNYK/ref=sr_1_68?keywords=Tablet+cushion&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1575286545&sr=8-68

Craicon Mon 02-Dec-19 11:32:15

I have an iPad Pro so it’s a good sized screen and I sit it on my tablet cushion. I haven’t used my laptop in years.
amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-12-9-inch-Wi-Fi-64GB/dp/B07K57C2WB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2609CKX8P528G&keywords=ipad+pro+12.9&qid=1575286293&sprefix=ipad+pro+%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-5]]

Fennel Mon 02-Dec-19 11:26:18

An office mat seems to be the way to go . With a wheelie chair. My wooden one is very sturdy, it's just the problem of lifting it to move on a carpet. I hurt my back last week when it toppled over.
Or laptop on the sofa.

FlexibleFriend Sun 01-Dec-19 22:22:41

I haven't got a computer chair as I lounge on the sofa with a laptop but you can buy a translucent plastic mat to go on the floor under the computer table so that your wheels actually glide so you don't tip.
Like this
www.amazon.co.uk/FloordirektPRO-Office-Chair-Mat-Polycarbonate/dp/B002QQOJLM/ref=sr_1_34?crid=2J95GC72I1U6B&keywords=computer+chair+mat+for+carpet&tag=gransnetforum-21

SueH49 Sun 01-Dec-19 22:16:17

I use a chair with wheels on carpet but have a hard plastic mat under it (office mat I think it is called) which makes it easy to move and does not wear the carpet. I'm able to get on and off it without any problems and can hold onto the desk to hold it steady while doing so if need be. As long as you don't kick the wheels as you sit you should be fine.

NanTheWiser Sun 01-Dec-19 21:25:34

I bought this one from Argos a few years ago www.argos.co.uk/product/8807827 you have to assemble it (easy) and it's quite lightweight. I didn't want arms on it so that it would slide under the desk easily. I use it on a laminate floor, but it's very stable.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:53:34

I bought a mat to put under mine to stop it slipping on the wooden floor Fennel

Warning: do not reach over too far sideways when sitting in it! It could tip.

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:11:01

Use an iPad sitting on a comfy sofa smile ?

Fennel Sun 01-Dec-19 18:24:27

Charleygirl I don't care about dents on the carpet! Maybe husband does.
I just want to be safe, and to communicate.

Gonegirl Sun 01-Dec-19 18:10:54

Mine is a Millberget swivel chair from IKEA. So comfortable and stable, and only _£60. Sorry can't do a link on phone.