Gransnet forums

House and home

Gas boiler blues - just in time for Christmas

(16 Posts)
winterwhite Sun 22-Dec-19 17:33:45

Have read various posts over the years about problems with boilers - now it's our turn! Our 10-yr old Glow worm boiler fails to ignite when due to, showing fault f9, but responds when DH pushes some special little button.
We have an expensive Home serve contract. Rang on Friday, engineer due today (Sunday). Phone call just now to say no one coming and because boiler is working at the moment and we "have heating" their next appointment is in 3 weeks time !! shock, unless it fails completely, in which case they'll come "within 24 hours" - oh yeah?
We will lodge a complain of course, but in the meantime:
1) Anyone else had this f9 thing? Apparently due to some sensor re water pressure not working. Can we expect to carry on igniting the boiler twice a day via this blessed button for 3 weeks?
2) Has anyone else in these circs used an independent local man without having a rumpus with BG about it and being told that they've thereby invalidated their contract?
All the Acs been and gone and done present exchanges, and we were congratulating ourselves on peace perfect peace.
We have an immersion heater, and 2 portable radiators that we can just about tote from room to room so I'm hoping we can get by till the 27th even if it does fail and then I might start ringing round independent engineers.
A new boiler for us in the summer I fear, but prob not another Glow worm.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Grannyknot Sun 22-Dec-19 17:50:22

HI winterwhite I feel for you, we had a boiler breakdown over Christmas some years ago - just as our guests arrived!

There's little that can't be fixed or at least shed light on via Google, I had a look out of nosiness and boredom and this site has 'live chat' manned by plumbers!

www.justanswer.com/uk-plumbing/7o9oj-boiler-not-working-fault-code-reading-f9.html

Good luck!

GagaJo Sun 22-Dec-19 19:37:29

Just had a new boiler fitted. A Veissmann, on the advice of my plumber, a young guy who is up on all the latest in the field. Certainly, the house seems warmer all the time. I think it's more sensitive to changes in temperature.

craftyone Sun 22-Dec-19 19:39:23

Have you checked the water oressure in the boiler. There will be a dial, it neds to be roughly at 1.3 if ch is not on and it goes up to around 1,5 when ch is on. If it is too low then the boiler will not fire. It is easily remedied, there is a fill switch , you will hear the water run in and the pressure will build. Don`t go too high. Water pressure is a majorreason for call-outs

craftyone Sun 22-Dec-19 19:42:36

also water pressure drops when bleeding rads and may need to be pushed up again. Sorry for all mis-spells above, I wrote in a hurry

MerylStreep Sun 22-Dec-19 19:51:21

Craftyone
Totally agree. 9 times out of 10 it's water pressure with boiler problems. But as I said on another thread: plumbers don't want you to know that ?

craftyone Sun 22-Dec-19 19:53:21

my plumber taught me. He`s a decent young man

M0nica Sun 22-Dec-19 20:53:58

Boilers, like washing machines, are built on the assumption that they will have a life of 10 years and then be replaced. so your Glowworm, winterwhite has reached the end of its designed life.

SpringyChicken Sun 22-Dec-19 21:15:11

We don't bother with maintenance contracts. If we added up the cost to insure CH plus oven, hob, washing machine, dishwasher etc, we reckon it would work out dearer than putting the money toward new appliances and callouts.

Franbern Mon 23-Dec-19 09:41:45

S[ringyChicken - I agree with you. For decades I had a Homeserve agreement, which got more and more expensive. Few years back, when I put in a new boiler, I stopped this and self-insured. Found a wonderful gas-safe person who would come to annual maintenance and would also come out in an emergency. Saved so much money over those years.
In my new flat I found that the maintenance for my boiler and central htg all comes under the maintenance charge we pay - and that also gives emergency cover. Due to have the elderly boiler in the flat serviced (under this system) in January and will talk to B.Gas when they come as to how efficient this boiler is and how much life it still has. Working absolutely fine.

shysal Mon 23-Dec-19 10:12:00

Two Christmases ago my boiler broke down and British Gas could no longer get the spare part. When speaking to me on the phone they asked if I had health problems or anything to make me vulnerable. I told them no, but I was a pensioner. Within 20 minutes they had arranged delivery and fitting of a new boiler next day, which was Christmas Eve. I couldn't have been more pleased with their service!
Perhaps you could play the 'pensioner' card if you are one?

J52 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:05:47

You mention Home Serve contract. I think you’ll find that BG’s contracts are called Home Care. Worth checking before complaining.
I only know this because our house insurers offered us a years Homeserve cover on our drains for 50p!
BG Home Care covers our CH and Electrical breakdowns.

winterwhite Mon 23-Dec-19 11:37:16

Very many thanks all for much useful advice, Yes, I meant B Gas Home Care (costs us £40 per month). Homeserve is for something else. We know we will have to replace the boiler (and willl def look carefully at Veissmann and Worcester Bosch), but this one doesn't clank and groan, the water pressure thing is the only problem so we hope to carry on till the spring.
I was railing really against B Gas cancelling an apptmnt for 22 Dec and not offering another another till mid January, which I think outrageous. So much for 'peace of mind'. And I think even more outrageous that they refused to give any advice over the phone as to whether it really was the water pressure, whether it might stop failing if we do this or that etc I asked why, if the water pressure was all wrong, it ignited again as soon as we pressed the magic button. Silence. Thanks, Crafty, for your tip, you obviously live up to your name grin. We're both in our 70s and DH has various health problems though nothing acute at the moment.

Davidhs Mon 23-Dec-19 14:20:20

Things to check
Check for air locks in radiators, air in system
Turn more radiators on, it could be the “over Temperature sensor” cutting out, same if you have had power cuts.
Turn off at wall then back on - that resets mine.

Missfoodlove Mon 23-Dec-19 15:42:51

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4dqnkxGQM

The above link should explain the problem and hopefully you can fix yourself. ?

Chestnut Mon 23-Dec-19 16:03:21

If you have paid for service then you should flippin' well get service when you need it. Sometimes you have to play the game to get their attention so I would have said I'm in my 70s and the boiler wasn't working.