Gransnet forums

House and home

Redoing the lounge - where would you start?

(85 Posts)
kittylester Sat 28-Dec-19 11:58:40

We last rethought our lounge 20 years ago. Since then we have acquired more chairs, had the sofas recovered etc and moved stuff about so it has lost its style and DD3 (or our self appointed style guru!) says it is a mess - she could be right.

We have decided to give it a makeover and are starting from scratch - even throwing away our 45 year old sofas! Oh the stress!!

But, what would you start with?

Sofas, curtains, carpets?

We have chosen our new sofas but not the fabric.

My inclination is to find curtains we like and go from there - is that a daft idea?

MadeInYorkshire Sat 28-Dec-19 12:15:08

Chose your colour scheme first - then you can chose variations on that theme with all your soft furnishings etc? Decide which is going to be your biggest expense and choose that first!

I would love to do that again, did it last year and loved it!

Exciting, enjoy!

MadeInYorkshire Sat 28-Dec-19 12:16:15

Before and after photos would be good?

bingo12 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:31:32

If you do not have a flair for decorating - study room pictures in interior design magazines, books and even estate agents web sites to get an idea of colours, flooring, furniture and furnishings you like and would suit room. Don't forget lighting.

J52 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:34:57

Personally I’d start with a colour palette with the range of colours that I like and suit the aspect of the room.
Once you’ve chosen your colour range, it might help to have a look on Pinterest, for ideas.
You could research colour, styles and room settings. Eg. Mid century furniture in pale blue sitting rooms.

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:36:51

We had the room decorated first then we found the curtains and the carpet. The sofas and lights came later to fit in. I have waited 20 years for lights I like as I don't like traditional things and wanted something more like they have in Europe. I finally found them this year. We also bought sofas and chair which recline and are not too low as it is getting more and more difficult to get out of low chairs.

notanan2 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:38:41

Start with lighting. Lighting can make a mess if you want to move wall lights or add spot lights etc.

I feel its best to then pick wall paint or wallpaper that you LOVE. furnishings can more easily be changed. Dont pick "nowish" wallpaper as it'll date too fast

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Dec-19 12:38:56

I think curtains is a good place to start and then choose fabric for sofas that go with it. Finally wall colour. Are you planning on painting the walls or wallpaper? It is exciting to start a room again!

Septimia Sat 28-Dec-19 12:40:48

I'd start by painting the ceiling grin.

cornergran Sat 28-Dec-19 12:42:25

we did all our rooms from scratch when we moved. Began with base colour, then carpet. Depending on the room it was curtains before furniture or vice versa. Deliberately chose carpet and furniture for the living room that could be accessorised with more than one colour. I like a different look for winter and summer. Get lots of samples, colours look different out of a show room. Enjoy it all. It’s fun, honestly ?

midgey Sat 28-Dec-19 12:44:00

I would leave it to her who must be obeyed.....DD3!

notanan2 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:44:08

Once the room is empty and the walls are prepped you'll see the light and space differently so dont set too much in stone before then

Grammaretto Sat 28-Dec-19 12:53:20

We left the curtains.

First thing to go was the carpet. Now we have a beautiful sanded and waxed floor with a smallish rug. We repainted.

Next was the oversized bookcase which I've donated and replaced from the charity shop with a slimmer, shorter version.
Once everything was out of the room, it was easy to see how over-furnished it had become. I was careful not to put everything back although I did have my 1930s settee reupholstered, because I love it.
We have the dining table in the window now and it doesn't get used so much as a surface!
Enjoy your new room.

I am really enjoying ours.

fiorentina51 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:00:10

We gave ours a makeover this year....mind you, it needed it!
It was like living in a 70s time warp.
Everything was changed, furniture, carpet,curtains etc. Spent ages looking at online photos of what was fashionable and chickened out of doing anything too radical.
We wanted a light and airy feel so went for blues and greens and light oak furniture.
We also wanted to replace our fake coal effect fire and surround with a woodburner so this involved punching a hole through the lounge ceiling and roof to accommodate the flue.

To start with, we sold or gave away anything that we didn't want in the new style lounge, had the walls stripped of paper, ripped the stone fireplace out and had a new skim of plaster in places.

Next job was the installation of the new woodburner, then decorating. In the meantime whilst all that was going on, we chose new furniture and furnishings.
There were a few disasters on the way when radiators leaked and our 45 year old boiler had to be replaced but otherwise it went pretty well.
Took in total about 2 months to complete.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 13:05:17

Firstly, look at how and when you use it. As an example, we rarely go into ours before about 7.30 pm, as until then we tend to be in the kitchen/dining room.

Then consider the light, natural if you use it during the day, artificial if evening only.

After that, think of colours you like. Then flooring (carpets are expensive to replace, and quite high maintenance, we now have hard floor and rugs, much easier!)

If course if there is something that you really must keep, factor that in to your plan!

JuliaM Sat 28-Dec-19 13:21:59

We did this two years ago, we started by collecting colour swatches of fabric and various paint cards for their shades, we also collected the furniture fabric colour swatches which were free from the Next shops or on line, a lot of the large online Carpet shops will also supply free samples to enable you to create a ‘mood board’ of ideas in total, which you can keep referring to or adjusting as you live with it in your room for a few days and get to see it in different lights.
Light colours will make a room feel larger, dark ones have the opposite effect. A neutral coloured carpet or flooring will lend itself more sympathetically to any future colour scheme changes than a fashion colour will, we made that mistake a few years ago when we bought a Chilli paper coloured carpet to go with the then fashionable Brown and Red large floral print Curtains, it ended up fading in the strong sunlight, and turning to an almost orange colour which looked horrible.
Our latest colour scheme is a neutral dark Beige Carpet, Burford Fabric seating from the Next range, and Soft Coral walls with a brightly coloured pattered rug , and toning cushions. We also replaced the lighting with some Black chrome fittings from Castlegate lighting online store.
We are very pleased with the result, and the accent colours can easily and simply be changed in the future without any major disruption or mess.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 13:40:03

Did ours last year, walls first ( colour....paint/wallpaper etc)
Then carpets or wood flooring, then sofas etc.Soft furnishings come last.

SueDonim Sat 28-Dec-19 13:40:31

I’d start with choosing a colour scheme and then focusing on the most expensive and difficult to replace item which for me would be carpets.

grannyactivist Sat 28-Dec-19 13:48:04

Oh kitty I do sympathise.

I have actually got no sense of style whatsoever and have always been quite happy to let rooms 'evolve', but we now have to tackle the re-decoration of our dining room.

On the other hand our daughter is a natural and has added tens of thousands of pounds to the value of her own home through good interior design. I think we're going to have to ask her to help us out. Decor has always been the domain of The Wonderful Man up to now, but if I tell you that our dining room decor is orange and yellow (and has been for twenty years!) you will understand why we need assistance. grin

Buffybee Sat 28-Dec-19 14:06:45

Complete re-do here starts on 6th January. Decorators will be here for about two weeks, all downstairs and stairs being done.
Then new curtains, carpets and finally new sofas.
First thing to do, is choose your colour scheme and it all follows in from there.

SueDonim Sat 28-Dec-19 14:14:06

I forgot to say, places like Laura Ashley & John Lewis will, for a fee, come up with a redesign for you. You don’t have to buy their products, you can source cheaper versions elsewhere!

Grannytomany Sat 28-Dec-19 14:21:09

I’d choose the most expensive item (sofas?) first and go from there. Let the colour scheme be led by the colour of that item. Then carpet and curtains last. Other stuff should be relatively easy once the main choices have been made.

That’s the way I’ve usually approached things anyway. I definitely wouldn’t start with choice of curtains.

GagaJo Sat 28-Dec-19 14:27:52

Pick your overall colour first. Then sofa/seating. Carpets come in all colours so you could take a swatch OR a photo of seating colour along with you when you look for carpets.

While you're waiting for sofa delivery and BEFORE carpets, get the walls done.

Curtains/window cover would be even easier. If you need a specific shade, there are places online that will send colour swatches and then you order by size. The old rule for curtains was each curtain should be the width of the window, but I don't use that rule anymore. I don't like the cluster of fabric.

Speaking as a minimalist, I'd say NO patterns to avoid a cluttered look but that is a very personal opinion.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 14:37:32

GagaJo you can use patterns, but subtly! Our sofa is a plain colour, as are the floor length curtains. (The ones on the French windows draw, but the ones on the ordinary window are just there for "dressing" there is a blind on the window) However we have a few cushions on the sofa in the most fabulous fabric, it's almost like a patchwork of chenille and satin, in colours that remind me of a Klimt painting.

Hard floors, a flokati rug in front of the fire and a large wool rug in block colours at the other end of the room.

MerylStreep Sat 28-Dec-19 14:40:27

Always the sofas first because that's the most expensive for us.
1 yellow and 1 terracotta at the moment. Our walls are always a neutral colour as I'm big on pictures and mirrors.
Carpets are darker now as I learnt my lesson in the last property with cream carpets.
Some years ago I went to curtain making classes so from that I've saved a lot of money.