Gransnet forums

House and home

Harron Homes - are they recommended

(6 Posts)
Phylis Sat 28-Dec-19 17:25:01

Hi all,
My granddaughter is looking at buying a house in Huddersfield from Harron Homes Ltd, I have done a bit of research and found very mixed reviews on twitter Facebook and myharronhome.co.uk. Just to sure what to tell her as its such a big commitment and houses are so expensive. I have a feeling that they really aren't that good as a builder but could do with confirmation.

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Jan-20 10:00:51

Hello,
I know nothing about this I'm afraid, but hope by commenting on it someone who knows more may be able to help.

M0nica Tue 28-Jan-20 09:16:05

If your grandaughter is old enough to make the decision to buy a house, she is old enough to make up her own mind on this issue.I am sure she too has done her research and taken that into consideration before making a decision. Remember, generally, only those with complaints post online. Those who are satisfied rarely do.

DiL's sister, being single, always took her mother with her when she went house hunting. Every house she looked at new or existing her mother worried and found problems, the builder was dodgy, the position was poor, the price was too high etc etc

The result was that the DiL's sister, who does not have a well paid job, ended up being completely priced out of the market and unable to buy at all.

Life is full of risks and decisions and your DGD is learning that as we did in our time.

glammanana Tue 28-Jan-20 09:41:25

Phylis Your DGD has obviously saved well for her deposit to get on to the property ladder and knows what she is doing,most new builders have negative reports as well as positive ones so don't be put off.
If she decides to go ahead with the purchase just tell her not to accept completion of the property without a full inspection (not just a snagging list) my son paid for another inspection by a surveyor after the Company told him his house was ready it cost extra money of course but gave him peace of mind.

lucywinter Tue 28-Jan-20 09:52:57

I have just looked at the Trust Pilot reviews and they are mostly very good ones. Almost makes me want to move up North.

Good advice there from Glammananna.

notanan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 11:13:56

Agree dont use their in house conveyancing or surveys/checkd and get a full independant survey but new build firms arent all bad. I know several people who bought in new build estates and their house price values have risen much faster than the surrounding area its not all horror stories.

A good independant conveyancing solicitor will flag up any potential "fleecehold" issues re communal space maintenance and whether the council will be adopting the road or not.

One thing I have noticed locally is to get around planning A LOT of newbuilds where I live have pitched roofs and velux windows on the first floor. Watch out for that it can mean no space for wardrobes, more damp as it restricts air circulation and sometimes no space for showers over baths.

But please dont be all doom and gloom. New builds can be a sensible buy: more eco friendly in the long run and lower maintenance.

Mumsnet is good for reviews put myhartonhome in the search bar

I dont trust official review sites the companies pressure or give incentive to people to post reviews very early in the process before problems crop up