Gransnet forums

House and home

To move or not to move?

(12 Posts)
LoisH Wed 15-Jan-20 10:08:31

Am newly retired, 60, DH 66 and also retired. He finds winters quite difficult to get through - low mood affected by grey days and rain, can't play golf (!)….aches and pains worse. Now we have no parental ties, I am seriously, seriously thinking of maybe spending winter abroad, or even moving permanently to Spain....but is it still a viable option now Brexit is here... plus we have a cat who would come too! Has anyone taken the plunge and where to even begin to put into action!!?

M0nica Wed 15-Jan-20 11:14:36

Sitting at the ferry terminal at Portsmouth last week, in our car, we couldn't help but notice that there were far more camper vans than cars waiting to board.

Many people who feel like you do LoisH, get into their camper vans after Christmas and head to Europe and the warmer weather. They seem to make the return journey just before Easter.

I always think this gives people the best of both worlds. Their lives are based in the UK to be convenient for friends and family, the NHS etc, but the winter months are spent wherever their fancy takes them, providing it is warm.

sodapop Wed 15-Jan-20 12:03:44

We moved to France when we retired LoisH and have never regretted it. We do know quite a few people who didn't settle though and went back.
Try renting for a few months to see how you get on. You do need to check on the post Brexit requirements though. Good luck.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 11:29:11

Lois
I would rent before you buy. It’s difficult here in Portugal to get a long term rent however, in the winters it’s a lot easier. The nights can be very cold though. Central heating is not a thing they have and if they do it’s very, very expensive. I am currently sat here with my pellet burner on because it’s so cold outside and this house is not well insulated as none really are on the Algarve. On the Algarve, the houses are really built for summer not winter.

The other option is as MOnica wrote Motorhoming. The motorhomes have fantastic heating systems these days and can be very cosy.

I have heard however due to the amount of vans that some site in the Algarve are being closed as they are not licensed. The locals are cracking down. On Monday last, a site containing some 40 vans was shut and the toilets and showers had to be removed to a different part of the site. You would therefore need to be in and settled on a site for winter by end September. Having said that, September is the nicest month here in Portugal, just as the nights are closing in, in the Uk they become balmy here but don’t tell everyone as they will all be out!

GagaJo Sun 26-Jan-20 11:35:44

I had long harboured a wish to move to Spain after many, many lovely visits. I moved there 3 years ago, with a view to retiring there. I could afford a house WITHOUT selling my UK home. What could go wrong?

Needless to say, I really didn't like it. It SHOULD have been easier for me than a retiree. I was working, had lovely Spanish friends. But the way of life just wasn't for me. I have lovely memories of the town square, the beautiful town I lived in and some people who are now friends for life.

But the culture is SO different to the UK. I've lived in the US, China and now I'm in Switzerland. China and Switzerland I like. US and Spain? Not for me.

Try before you buy. It was OK for me. I'm still working. I was able to pick up and move easily. If you sell up and go permanently and then don't like it? Much harder as a retiree.

PamelaJ1 Sun 26-Jan-20 13:32:07

We once went to Malta towards the end of the winter season about 25 years ago. When we were in our late forties.
The hotel was full of people who had spent a couple of months there.
They seemed to know each other well and it was quite lively.
Everyone was very friendly and I thought then that it was quite an easy way to escape the worst of our winter.
The hotels did a deal and I got the impression that it didn’t cost much more than staying in the U.K. and paying for heating.
Not sure about the cat though.

annep1 Sun 26-Jan-20 13:40:06

I agree with those who say stay during the winter. Best of both worlds.

V3ra Sun 26-Jan-20 16:01:01

We've been a few times to an apartment resort on the Golf del Sur in Tenerife.
Half are privately owned with the owners spending all or part of the year there.
Some people came home for Christmas, then straight back to the sun. Some came home for the school summer holiday grandchildren duties, then back out in September.
There's an active ex-pat community with Spanish classes, yoga, charity work and of course the golf course! My husband played, Dad went round with him. Very sociable and welcoming to visitors.
Long term lets are common and quite a cost efficient way of having a property overseas without the commitment or responsibility.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 17:09:42

Forgot to mention the cat. Many people have dogs here and be under no illusion cats are for chasing with many expats letting their dogs off leads, a real bone of contention please excuse the pun.

I would not bring a cat out here again.

Happygirl79 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:28:25

My sister and I took an eight month let of a beautiful villa in Spain in 2018.
It was a wonderful time for both of us
Relaxed.
Sunshine.
Good food
Some drinks if we fancied them in the evening
I love cooking and spent time making delicious meals. I managed to do online shopping for food and household stuff and it was delivered. I learned a little Spanish and local customs
It was a trial run for me as I had already sold my property in the UK
However my family and close friends are in the UK.
My decision was made.
I had made some wonderful memories in Spain but there's no place like home and home is in the UK
I bought a beautiful property when I returned and have never been happier
Perhaps try the same?
A 6 month let is not really expensive
Good luck

MerylStreep Sun 26-Jan-20 19:46:40

We would normally have left the uk by now to spend the cold months in Spain ( and morocco this year) but with some commitments and the weather in Spain not so good at the moment we are just watching and ready to go.

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 20:40:37

In your Motorhome Meryl?