Gransnet forums

House and home

Command Strips

(11 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 16-Jan-20 21:11:47

I’m being painted and will need to rehang all my pictures. I was told Command Strips were wonderful and bought a lot, only to find they can’t be used on professionally framed pictures with paper on the back, nor on those where the back of the picture is recessed behind a very narrow frame edge.
That means back to the hammer and nails for almost all of them.
I’d read all about the strips because they’re complicated but nowhere did they mention these shortcomings.

MawB Thu 16-Jan-20 23:46:49

When something seems too good to be true, it usually is.sad
I hope you are not using nails though, proper picture hooks especially the sort destined for masonry (cream plastic, three very fine pins) are much better as they leave only the tiniest of holes.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 23:55:07

I used them to hang a lightweight canvas print over the bed where DGD sleeps; luckily the picture was very light because it fell down on her when she was in bed.

I did wonder if she'd been "looking at the picture" at the time, but I wouldn't recommend them at all.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Jan-20 00:36:59

I think I've used cheaper similar stuff to put a very small, light mirror in my bathroom. Twice. Both times it fell off.

arosebyanyothername Fri 17-Jan-20 01:27:58

I used them on a group of framed photos. Easy to use and re-position once you get the hang of it. They come in different sizes for different weights. I bought them whilst on offer, they can work out expensive.

Sara65 Fri 17-Jan-20 06:51:49

I bought some one Halloween when the children wanted to hand things up, but I didn’t want to hammer in nails.

I don’t know if we were doing it incorrectly, but we couldn’t get them to work at all.

DoraMarr Fri 17-Jan-20 08:31:22

I’ve used them extensively, and they have, for the most part, worked well. I have two chrome racks in the shower for soap and shampoos and they have held up for three years so far. You do need to follow the instructions, and they are better on some surfaces than others, but on the whole I have found them a good alternative to drilling holes.

Baggs Fri 17-Jan-20 08:39:38

I use them where I work for hanging up paintings that are done on canvas board. They are excellent for that purpose. Also used them to hang up a small quilt over xmas. No problem there either.

I can see that they wouldn't work with framed pictures. What they are attached to need to be flush with the wall they're stuck to so that velcro-like hooky things (one on the painting, one on the wall) attach to each other.

shysal Fri 17-Jan-20 09:45:15

I used some of the smallest Command hooks to attach some fairy lights to my bannisters about a year ago. They have now got to the stage where they are falling off.
I agree with MawB about the little hard wall hooks, which come in various sizes. They are permanent but only leave tiny holes if removed.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Jan-20 10:23:59

The house I grew up in had picture rails around the sitting room. Great for hanging pictures, the over mantle mirror, and the Christmas decorations.
It's a pity that modern houses don't have them. They aren't fashionable any more, but they were useful.

Sara65 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:36:22

Minimoon I’ve got picture rails in every room, but I’d forgotten about those hangers that clip over them. I’m going straight online to look for some, thanks for the reminder.