Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric Fires

(15 Posts)
ladymuck Tue 21-Jan-20 13:56:19

I recently needed to buy a new electric fire. I wanted one of the radiant fires, with the bars but there seem to be only two models available.
The fashion at the moment is for the stove-type heaters, which look very attractive but they are all fan heaters. Not only are they noisy but they are not suitable for people with breathing problems.
I ended up buying a halogen heater. I like the heat but it is very flimsy and I don't think it will last long.
What sort of fires do the rest of you have?

Missfoodlove Tue 21-Jan-20 14:18:59

A real fire and a stove fire.
Love the heat but not the mess so we have emergency halogen heaters!

MiniMoon Tue 21-Jan-20 14:24:23

Log burning stove set into the fireplace. After that, only the central heating radiators.

mrswoo Tue 21-Jan-20 14:25:38

We’ve got a coal effect gas fire. It looks lovely and obviously doesn’t involve the hassle of cleaning. But .... it’s worse than useless as far as giving out heat. Also, lighting it is quite scary (I leave it to DH) it always ignites with a bang.
I love a real coal fire even though they are messy.

ninathenana Tue 21-Jan-20 14:36:26

We had a gas fire for years but it was condemned last year and we bought an electric one with fake coal and flame effect. It throws out heat well but the fan is quiet noisy.

3dognight Tue 21-Jan-20 14:46:02

We have a multi fuel stove that free stands in the fireplace.
I love , love, love it. It's made winters very cosy in the front room. However, it's like the artic in the bathroom, and almost as bad in the kitchen which is next to it.
For the most part this is our only heating, if it gets exceptionally cold we will put the radiators on. Our boiler is an ancient 'glow worm' type, and is very inefficient and expensive to use, so we keep the fire 'in' from about end of November to end March and the doors in the house open for the heat to disperse.
It's hugely messy with ash floating everywhere, but it really is a lovely heat, reminds me of sunshine!

kittylester Tue 21-Jan-20 14:55:31

We have a black calor gas mock stove to replicate the one that was removed when our house was was converted from a Board school. Central heating every where else.

Happygirl79 Tue 21-Jan-20 15:37:26

I don't have a fire at all.
Just central heating and a heated throw for chilly evenings

lucywinter Tue 21-Jan-20 16:18:27

www.esse.com/heating-products/electric-heaters/esse-vector/#I think this could be the ultimate in electric "fires". You get radiant and connected heat, and it's good looking. If I didn't already have a wood burner I would go for one of these as an extra to central heating, or for occasional use.

Expensive, but worth it.

lucywinter Tue 21-Jan-20 16:22:33

convected not connected

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jan-20 16:35:11

Radiant ceiling panels are lovely for additional heat - feels like sitting in the sunshine!

SalsaQueen Tue 21-Jan-20 17:23:41

We've got a wall-mounted electric fire, but never use it as it's so noisy and costs a lot to run. We've got central heating, so the house is warm enough.

BBbevan Wed 22-Jan-20 06:35:11

Log burner in the living room, plus central heating. We have a large conservatory which has no heating. We aim to extend the central heating into it. The previous owner of our house said she wished she had put in underfloor heating. At present we use a convector heater when it is cold. Works well but is expensive.

EllanVannin Wed 22-Jan-20 08:08:15

One word---Useless !

annep1 Thu 23-Jan-20 07:14:28

Central heating and electric fire which looks like a real fire (sort of) without all the work.