Gransnet forums

House and home

Stains on carpets tried most things any ideas

(18 Posts)
Franbern Sat 01-Feb-20 10:10:38

My flat has a pale green, old -but obviously extremely expensive carpet throughout. Really throughout, bathroom and en-suite included? My daughter, who collected the keys on the day I move din did manage to get rid of them in those two rooms. However, the rest had all sorts of stains and marks on them. Some looked like oil stains, not sure what others were - little black spots,etc.
Anyway, do not wish to re-carpet for at least a year - so have spent some time working on those - using a combination of my Vax Carpet cleaner and a separate steam cleaner. They are all gone now, some did take three of four times to get rid off, but the carpet does like new now throughout - and the added benefit of knowing it is really deep clean.
I know the vendors did have a professional cleaning company in as the flat had been empty for sometime before I moved in, but think these just vacuumed the carpet, not a carpet cleaning firm.

Whiff Sun 26-Jan-20 23:35:08

When I moved house the removers left awful stains on my brand new carpets. Won't bore with the on going saga or why they refused to put down covers. But Dr Beckman got all the marks out with only one application. They were black marks on a light grey carpet.

Lindylou23 Sun 26-Jan-20 23:14:30

As suggested Dr Beckham's excellent

JuliaM Sun 26-Jan-20 23:11:35

I spot treat my carpet with the vanish foam carpet cleaner, then borrow my daughters Bissel carpet shampoo machine with more Vanish carpet shampoos loaded into it and fairly hot water, l do the entire carpet with this, and it’s amazing how much dirt it sucks back up into the tank. It’s dry a couple of hours later, and smells nice too. Baby wipes work well in an emergency too, but l never use washing up liquid as it’s slightly sticky, and becomes a magnet for even more dirt afterwards.

Auntieflo Sun 26-Jan-20 22:49:23

Have you tried the 'Shout' spray cleaner?
It cleaned printer ink from a plain green carpet.
Good luck with whatever you try.

crazyH Sun 26-Jan-20 22:47:58

Professional carpet cleaner did a great job on mine - grand daughter had spilled red colouring "washable" paint on the carpet. Worth paying, think it was £50.

dragonfly46 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:38:55

It rather depends what your carpet is made of. Synthetic carpets are very difficult to clean.

jeanie99 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:36:35

Thanks everyone for your comments I'll have another go tomorrow.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:17:56

We got a 'professional' (as he called himself) to clean a carpet and it only cost £45 - it was spotless!

quizqueen Sun 26-Jan-20 22:16:38

What about steam cleaning it?

Happygirl79 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:14:04

Dr Beckman carpet cleaner is brilliant and recommended by Which magazine as best buy

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Jan-20 22:12:52

I managed to drop an entire glass of tomato juice on my beige carpet this morning !!

Grampy’s used a newly purchased spot stain remover from Rug Doctor . Cleaned it up a treat without any trouble!

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jan-20 21:12:08

I would try some biological washing powder or liquid, or baking powder. White vinegar?

J52 Sun 26-Jan-20 21:10:29

For spot stains I use either baby wipes ( yes I know, but they do work. Poor babies bums!) or fairy liquid on a cloth or 1:5 dilute distilled white vinegar in water.
All work well on coffee or spots from sugary drinks.
Vanish took the colour out of my pale grey carpet and left a bigger stain.

Sara65 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:40:12

I agree, I’ve tried lots of things, but find vanish the best.

jeanie99 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:38:21

Yes that is what I used Vanish spray for carpets.

SueDonim Sun 26-Jan-20 20:27:13

Have you tried Vanish Carpet Care (not the laundry stuff)? It’s pretty good. I used it on soot the other day and the mark is gone.

www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/vanish-gold-carpet-care-power-foam-600ml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6rul14yi5wIVS7DtCh1uQgaNEAQYAiABEgJX6fD_BwE&storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=lm2Fu%2FFgBtD7Qfzr2GKR2NZ%2BgIm4jgWdDXBCedSmZCaIDhGKcANAOohE2NKJNHj9MS1L5w6McUtdbiIujticWFrzjTb7r%2FgHkkmFOQaFnHlSRuUxeJOvZA1Is4JxXnw%2FOZKdqrFn5bqBROlDZ5nrbKntD73173nWh4NWrOjOjTocLTzdP71PXjcXtMaPOTbEs3GtOT9ypPYOSDizVVeEhUNl%2BxqU4efaNgy33P%2BYKUDG2zBjskpqO2HKeqRM1jnEPIiNR%2FRNXKSGFhGX8C1bj9Q16EqfZ5dwj8SEOcLo4c0aZ8ektkEtYHWq51DW4bc1RwHnJd2w5SkclD92pD%2FEqG19UHcddzzjGudp6zug5X0%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fvanish-gold-carpet-care-power-foam-600ml

jeanie99 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:21:54

Advice please, I have old stains and new ones from the family visits.

It's like small half inch spots on the carpet in some areas.
I've tried vanish spray and vanish soap and a dry spot clearer. No difference.

I guess the stains are food, drink or sweets which have been dropped.

I'm also thinking about buying a carpet cleaner to freshen up the carpets but I wanted to spot clean first.