Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint brush or roller?

(29 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:19:56

I was surprised - although I don't know why I should be - that my daughter and I did not share the same preference.

Do you prefer one over the other? All painting tips welcome. I have a whole flat to get through - with help.

Calendargirl Tue 04-Feb-20 18:29:45

DH prefers roller, he does all the decorating.

Kalu Tue 04-Feb-20 18:33:37

I always prefer rollers of both sizes but especially small radiator rollers which I use for small flat surfaces which I find give a better smooth supplication with no brush strokes visible.

If however, you are doing walls, cutting in with a small brush is a closer finish than a small roller.

Good luck with your venture. It sounds exciting. ?

Kalu Tue 04-Feb-20 18:34:53

Smooth application obviously?

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:53:43

It is Kalu. Old wardrobes and half a kitchen came out on Sunday. I felt it was a bit like one of the old Barn Raising days in early America with friends and family mucking in, tools buzzing away, sharing trips to the tip and helping get lunch prepared.

I will be slow but sure with the painting with the occasional friend or family for company. I'm thinking lots of thank you summer parties will be in order.

phoenix Tue 04-Feb-20 18:54:39

No matter how good you are with a roller, you will still need to do the cutting in with a brush.

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-20 19:18:05

Paint pads are useful if you don't want the parlaver of protecting furniture with dust sheets or moving stuff around.

No splashing!

dragonfly46 Tue 04-Feb-20 19:19:42

Roller definitely!

tanith Tue 04-Feb-20 19:23:53

Roller but cutting in needs a brush and a steady hand.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Feb-20 19:24:25

Rollers are much quicker, but they can be a lot more messy.

I painted my whole bedroom in a day or two using one, but when I next tried to do the same I ended up with so many splodges within minutes that I gave up and used a brush.

LadyGracie Tue 04-Feb-20 19:25:02

Roller definitely with brush for cutting in. I painted the hall this weekend, all white, it was lovely painting the ceiling, coving and walls and only having to cut in around the nine doors.

Grammaretto Tue 04-Feb-20 19:25:18

Roller is quicker but I would use a small brush for the edges.
Masking tape is handy too but don't forget to remove it afterwards quickly or it may pull the paint off. I speak from experience

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 19:42:55

I'm of the roller and cutting in with small brush group but DD likes a brush best. We shan't fall out about it, I was just surprised. As with many of your comments, I expect it comes down to which you have got the best finish with in the past. Her experience is that rollers drip.

H1954 Tue 04-Feb-20 19:48:14

I used to use paint pads but now I use a roller every time, still need a brush for cutting in though.

Kalu Tue 04-Feb-20 19:49:59

Oh, that sounds like my kind of fun GracesGran, gutting out and a change around especially with helpers. Do you have a set plan in your head or have you done a mood board?

I don’t know if this range has been out for a while but I recently discovered a B&Q range, Good Home, good selection of coulours and usage. Bought a few tester pots and I am impressed with the finished result of a small, crackled glazed effect table I have just completed. Tester pots are good applied to a strip of lining paper for a true colour match. Also, be sure to look at the finish, colour etc. in both daylight and electric lighting in the evening

Very satisfying, do it at your own pace and enjoy the finished results??

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:04:31

Paint pads are useful

I wondered about them Merlotgran. I've never used them. I'll have a look when I go shopping for paint.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:14:10

A shade of white comes first Kulu as it will be the hall and that has no natural light. Not very inspiring but I will have other thoughts in other rooms. I can't wait to paint over the dark green coving in the sitting room though.

Your table sounds lovely. I have decided to paint the fire surround - it doesn't go with the wood of my furniture. I may be back to ask more questions when it comes to that but I think it should be okay if I use chalk paint.

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-20 20:30:25

They are not quite as fast as a roller, GG3 but give an even finish and there's no splatter to worry about. I think you have to decide on one or t'other because the finish is slightly different.

I'm decorating our bedroom at the moment using pads.

Kalu Tue 04-Feb-20 20:36:10

Anytime GracesGran. Good luck

Not sure if this of interest to you but whatever colour our walls are done,I use the same shade in satinwood for radiators which blend in with the wall . Just something I prefer to white radiators.

Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 20:39:51

I am considering going all white walls, save all that cutting in, like a roller but I end up like a snow woman.

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Feb-20 20:40:14

Both as Phoenix said, rollers for the main bit but you need brushes for cutting in. I don't like paint pads but use both full size and mini rollers.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:59:07

A good thought Kalu and I think it would help with the updating.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:00:20

You would need a CSI suit for protection Sparkling and then it would work smile

TrendyNannie6 Thu 27-Feb-20 19:32:37

Rollers n brushes for cutting in

Chewbacca Thu 27-Feb-20 19:49:28

This is a timely thread as I have to paint the kitchen ceiling again this weekend and the first coat has to be a damp stain blocking primer and it's awful to work with, but necessary. I've tried paint pads but just couldn't get on with them. Rollers are definitely quicker but no matter how carefully I load the roller, there's always splashing and spraying. So probably a broad paint brush is the answer. Unless anyone here has any advice?