Gransnet forums

House and home

Equity Release Warning

(12 Posts)
NanaPlenty Fri 14-Feb-20 09:23:48

A few years back my husband and I carried out a large renovation project on our bungalow. We encountered a few problems which resulted in us needing to borrow some money to finish the project. We took some equity out of the property never intending to move again but also knowing if we did the plan could move with us. A few years on and we want to move to a retirement flat but find this type of property is not acceptable to the lenders! You would think as this is the type of loan people take in retirement that this should be made clear when you take the loan out! Not only that it means now that if we want to go ahead with the move we will have to repay the loan, interest and an early repayment charge which is a huge amount of money. The jargon in which a lot of this is written could only be understood by someone with good financial knowledge and despite advice given at the time none of this was made clear to us. Just would like to warn others not to fall into the same trap.

rosecarmel Fri 14-Feb-20 09:49:02

That terrible-

NanaPlenty Fri 14-Feb-20 09:50:48

Yes indeed it is I feel I should make some sort of complaint?

anna7 Fri 14-Feb-20 09:59:53

How awful. I hope you do complain and are compensated . Thank you for the warning.

gillybob Fri 14-Feb-20 10:04:17

Are you saying that the equity release company will not allow you to transfer to the retirement property NanaPlenty? Apologies but I’m easy confused.

I am not entirely surprised if that is the case as I have heard there can be all sorts of problems buying into a retirement property (well more trying to sell).

Resale value is almost always a lot less than what was paid.
Resale is often difficult as there is a restricted market.
Management fees (often quite considerable) continue to be due even when the property is empty .

Maybe the equity release people are worried that fees will eat into the value and they might not get their money?

Hetty58 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:13:54

Exactly, gillybob, a retirement flat is not a good investment - could even become a liability. That's why the equity release company won't agree to it. You'll have to either downsize and pay the debt off or choose another type of property.

Oldwoman70 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:22:38

So sorry to hear this. You say you had advice at the time but this wasn't made clear to you - if this was from a solicitor or accountant you could have a claim against them.

FlexibleFriend Fri 14-Feb-20 10:36:32

Retirement flats are notoriously difficult to sell and that is why they wont allow you to transfer your loan you could buy a different property and take it with you. They are simply protecting their interest in your property. I found they answered all my questions clearly and made it quite clear any property would have to be deemed suitable to transfer to and I may only be able to transfer part of the loan. The early repayment fees are generally on a sliding scale and disappear completely after a max of 10 years. This should have been given in writing at the time you took the loan out.

Davidhs Fri 14-Feb-20 11:03:33

Sorry you have been caught by this, as it is a bungalow it’s probably best to stay where you are for now if you can. It sounds like the interest on the loan was fixed rate, if it had been variable there should not have been a penalty.
Be very careful of Equity Release schemes, if your circumstances change they can bite you, always get a deal that you can pay off early if you need to

FlexibleFriend Fri 14-Feb-20 11:09:52

I think you'll find all equity release schemes are fixed rate because they give you a breakdown of what you will owe at each and every stage of the loan. Also they can pay the loan of early they just have to pay early repayment charges.

Eglantine21 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:21:56

If you look on the Financial Ombudsman site there are some examples of what they deemed fair and unfair. The Ombudsman has the power to intervene if he believes you have been misold. Worth a try?

Otherwise, if you have to move, would you be allowed to rent out your bungalow and use the money to rent a flat?

NanaPlenty Sun 16-Feb-20 18:34:02

The early repayment fee depends on what the gilt price is and as it’s dropped half a percent our erc is 17,000 ?. I guess we could rent out the bungalow but I’m not sure its something we would want to do. We are going to speak to Nationwide tomorrow to see what they can do for us. We will probably look for an alternative that is acceptable for us to port the loan to. Thanks everyone for your suggestions?