Gransnet forums

House and home

Battery fabric defuzzer

(21 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 16-Feb-20 21:41:45

I didn't know how much I needed this until I got it.
My friend told me how she'd borrowed her daughter's electric defuzzer and how great It was. Rejuvenated several jumpers with nibbles that looked shabby. Thinking of a Seasalt jumper that looked shabby after only a few wearings I decided to invest. Oh my, what a difference, it's like new.
Next were the cushion covers. Two are the perfect colour but we're cheap and bobbled. Ready to be thrown out.....not any more.
Then into 5 cushions that I'd had custom made from my curtain fabric. They are wearing well but had a little bobble here and there. They are perfect again.
I did all of these while watching Midwife and very therapeutic it was.
Defuzzer cost me £12.99 including batteries but there are cheaper ones and also more expensive. From the usual online store. I added deodorant to make it up to £20 to qualify for free delivery.

DH is off looking for his favourite jumper that has bobbled.

I will also do my lovely wool coat that has a few bobbles under the arms.

I hope this information may be useful to someone.

What little bit of kit would you not be without.

Coolgran65 Sun 16-Feb-20 21:43:46

Oops.
Nibbles = bobbles
we're = were

MawB Sun 16-Feb-20 22:10:17

I do get fed up of jumpers getting “bobbly” after only a few wearings.
Often the more expensive ones (like Seasalt) are prime offenders.
Shall investigate.

SirChenjin Sun 16-Feb-20 22:31:39

Do you have a link to it or the brand name? I’ve been thinking of getting one but wasn’t sure if it was yet another gimmick that would end up in the bin so it’s good to read you’ve found it worthwhile.

cornergran Sun 16-Feb-20 23:00:40

I bought one in B&M ages ago. It works on most bobbly things although they do come back eventually. I agree about Seasalt mawb, really disappointed with jumpers from there. So frustrating, I hate bobbly jumpers.

Marydoll Sun 16-Feb-20 23:09:53

I wouldn't be without mine, which I bought in middle of Lidl years ago.

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 00:13:29

After a holiday in Denmark, I bought some Danish woollen blankets for cosy hyggae evenings. They came with a defuzzing comb ( no battery);which I realised a few months ago I could use on my<sigh> seasalt jumpers but to brilliant effect.,

Grandma2213 Mon 17-Feb-20 00:28:47

I bought one of these years ago from one of those free magazines that used to appear through the door full of things you had never heard of and didn't know you needed! I have used it regularly very successfully though occasionally have lost concentration while watching TV and nicked a hole into an article. I agree Coolgran65 it is also very therapeutic.

Doodledog Mon 17-Feb-20 00:54:12

I knit a lot, and am a bit obsessive about looking after jumpers. I have a battery gizmo, and a cashmere comb for more delicate fibres.

The battery one is excellent for coarser wool, such as the type I use for aran jumpers, and the cashmere comb is obviously good for cashmere, but also merino and alpaca - anything that might get shaved away with the other one.

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Feb-20 01:50:23

Defuzzer is a Philips Fabric Shaver. £12.99 on Amazon. Delivery was very prompt. It’s a medium blue colour. There is a black one that is a few £ dearer.
I have used it on medium weight knits and woven fabric. Sorry I’m using my phone and can’t do a link using it.
I guess the bobbles are likely to come back it does work quite quickly.

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Feb-20 01:52:49

Should have added, it is a shaver and as such definitely will not work on mohair or similar.

BBbevan Mon 17-Feb-20 03:07:35

I complained to Seasalt about bobbly jumpers. They said I could take it to my nearest shop and they would debobble it for me, or have a refund. I chose neither but bought a de bobbler. It works a treat .

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Feb-20 04:14:05

I was fortunate that my Seasalt jumper had been a bargain.
It was my friend who actually bought it. Label said £89 but she got it in sale for £10. She hadn't tried it on and when she got home found it was too long on her. I got first option on it for £10 before she put it on ebay. smile

NfkDumpling Mon 17-Feb-20 08:18:22

Mine was delivered yesterday! I saw the results on a friends jumper and decided to get one. I’d had one donkey’s years ago and it wasn’t very good but these new ones do seem to work. Have so far de-bobbled two jumpers.

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 09:28:01

coolgran thanks for that. After my last Seasalt bobble disaster, I found a Danish company, Part Two and bought some very thick cotton jumpers which are very warm, in lovely colours and do not bobble. Anyone else know of them?

SirChenjin Mon 17-Feb-20 10:03:54

I’ve just ordered one and am more excited than I probably should be!

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Feb-20 13:49:14

suziewoozie Yes, I have found cotton jumpers to hold their looks much better. I saw Part Two clothing recently in a quite up market department store that was not part of a chain. Very nice.

SirChenjin My excitement knew no bounds. I am in the middle of ironing but tonight will find a few other items to debobble.

Last night by debobbling two cushion covers I saved the cost of the debobbler smile

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 13:59:50

I buy all my Part Two jumpers from this website. They always have good offers and at the moment have a 20% off welcome offer

www.boozt.com/uk/uk/part-two/women/knitwear

SpringyChicken Mon 17-Feb-20 14:04:29

A disposable razor is invaluable for removing bobbles from smooth fabric. I used to renovate secondhand school uniform for a PTA and blazers with bobbles where school bags had rubbed came up like new.

Atqui Mon 17-Feb-20 14:12:24

Thanks coolgran The one I have is a bit pathetic so I shall order a Philips

Stansgran Mon 17-Feb-20 14:21:27

I've just bought one from Wilko about£3,.it hasn't come out of the box yet but will when dgd goes home.