Gransnet forums

House and home

Clothes coming out of the washing machine with dirty marks on

(28 Posts)
Lilypops Tue 18-Feb-20 23:10:53

Help,please , a few weeks ago I got the clothes out of the washing machine, they had dirty marks on some of them which turned out to be like a gunge, on inspection I found a soapy gunge all round the rubber seal of the machine, I cleaned it all off, used a washing machine cleaner and all was well until tonight wash has come out with marks on as before, Has this happened to anyone else and did you find any thing better to clean it, I use soap pods would this have anything to do with it,,

gillybob Tue 18-Feb-20 23:22:19

This has been happening to me for a while . I eventually replaced the rubber seal and it was fine for a while (or so it seemed) and then went back to my white clothes coming out with grey marks all over them. Dark clothes have white /grey streaks too.

I tried cleaning my machine with all sorts of special cleaners all to no avail. Have started putting a scoop of soda crystals in with my wash to see if this helps . Fingers crossed.

Lilypops Wed 19-Feb-20 08:16:47

Gillybob , hope you are feeling better,, I might try soda chrystals in the machine , I just can't understand why this is still happening , the machine is only two years old , so I wouldn't have thought the seal has gone, but the things don't last as long as they used too anymore

Lilypops Wed 19-Feb-20 08:19:40

P.S. How strange ,an advert has just popped up on my iPad showing a washing machine with mould and stuff around the seal advertising a cleaning product just as I sent my post to GN. We are being watched !!!!

gillybob Wed 19-Feb-20 08:24:51

Oh that’s been going on for long enough Lilypops it’s cookies in action .

I read that a large scoop of soda crystals in an empty washing machine set to a hot wash helps clear all the gunge that has built up behind the drum, which is apparently where these streaks come from . My washing machine is about 4 years old . I wouldn’t bother trying to change the seal. We changed it and not only was it a difficult job, it made no difference whatsoever anyway.

Greymar Wed 19-Feb-20 08:26:27

Put 2 dishwashers tabs in and do a hot wash. It works!

sodapop Wed 19-Feb-20 08:28:45

I read that it was not a good idea to use dish washer tablets in your washing machine Greymar can't remember why though.

Greymar Wed 19-Feb-20 08:34:38

Sorry, all I can say is I tried it and it did the trick.

Lilypops Wed 19-Feb-20 08:38:10

Thank you Gilly, I think I will try soda chrystals on a hot wash ,Greymar Thankyou but I feels it wary about dishwasher tabs after what Soda pop said, What a helpful lot of ladies you are. X

love0c Wed 19-Feb-20 08:39:50

I endured this along with the washing smelling like a dead animal. I stopped using washing liquids and reverted back to washing powder and it eliminated the problem. My machine smells clean and the rubber seal is perfectly clean as well.

Lilypops Wed 19-Feb-20 08:40:14

Actually Greymar I don't see why it's not advised. It's just a washing machine with a different detergent in it ,

Greymar Wed 19-Feb-20 08:43:47

Give it whirl, you won't regret it!! ( living the dream)

Nortsat46 Wed 19-Feb-20 08:45:42

Lilypops, I have no useful advice to offer.
However, as I opened up your thread, an advertisement for cleaning the gunk from the washing machine’s rubber seal, came up on my iPad, too.

I agree we are being watched (and probably to a far higher degree than most of us realise). ?

gillybob Wed 19-Feb-20 08:54:57

Wilko do Soda Crystals in a large bag ...dead cheap. I have started to use less washing liquid and a scoop of SC’s in every wash .

aggie Wed 19-Feb-20 09:00:55

I went back to washing powder and use a wee bit less than the recommendation, that sorted my wash, I also put the powder in the drum , not the drawer .
These were all tips given on here recently ?

justanovice Wed 19-Feb-20 09:41:36

The gunge builds up in your machine, especially if you use liquid detergent, so they have to be cleaned regularly and it's a good idea to use powder when appropriate as well. I used to sell washing machines for a living and this was one of my most repeated useful phrases.

Buffybee Wed 19-Feb-20 10:33:47

I think all this gunk and slime is to do with using liquid detergent or the pods.
My daughter had a similar problem and I advised her to use powder instead She’s found cleaner, brighter wash and no problems with machine.

MerylStreep Wed 19-Feb-20 10:49:23

Lilypops
It's time to start worrying when an add pops up that you've spoken about but never searched

Witzend Thu 20-Feb-20 09:59:17

Try a really hot wash with just soda crystals. I recently learned that there can be a massive build up of detergent and/or the gel from the pods, which I used to use.

When I then did a 90 deg wash with just soda crystals, there was a huge amount of foam. I repeated it, and there was still foam, but less.

I now use just powder (from a cardboard box, less plastic! and a lot less than I would have before) put directly into the drum before the clothes, with soda crystals in the detergent drawer.

I sometimes used to get a sort of yellowish scum on the washing, but haven’t seen any since the new ‘regime’.

Welshwife Thu 20-Feb-20 10:31:57

I use a small amount of white vinegar in the rinse drawer every wash - soda crystals with sone loads and I do my towels and bedding etc on 60 or 90 degrees - so far no problems but I think the vinegar was the key - also no soft rinse as I think that is gunky.

grannypiper Thu 20-Feb-20 10:43:59

My washing machine engineer told me years ago to stop using washing liquid and only ever use half the amount of powder that the washing powder manufacturer recommends. Have just switched to eco balls and they are fantastic

FlexibleFriend Thu 20-Feb-20 11:13:02

I've use washing liquid for years and never had a gunk problem. I thought it was softener which caused the problem and I very rarely use softener.. I do was on 60 degrees quite often and use 30 degrees about once a week. I've recently started using 50 grms of soda crystals and half the amount of washing liquid and the washing is just as clean at half the cost.

gillyknits Thu 20-Feb-20 11:24:21

I have a similar problem, except that my washing is covered in black marks and there seem to be little black ,rubberlike, bits on the glass door.
I did a deep clean but it did it again. Can’t fathom out where the bits are coming from as my machine is only a couple of years old. Only seems to happen now and again!

Esspee Thu 20-Feb-20 11:24:53

I have used Lidl liquid detergent and conditioner for 20+ years and always have a spotless wash. A few times a year I remove the drawer and scrub and give the rubber seal a clean. I do use less detergent than the recommended dose (my contribution to saving the planet?)
I have always wondered where the plastic in the pods ends up.

humptydumpty Thu 20-Feb-20 11:36:42

This happened to me frequently when I used pods, so have swapped to Persil tablets.